Total views : 355
Robust Control Design for Rotary Inverted Pendulum Balance
Background/Objectives: Rotary inverted pendulum is a system that is often used in the domain of control theory to perform experiments. It is a complex yet interesting system that helps better understand concepts of control mechanism. It is an example of a non-linear oscillator. The pendulum is under actuated and extremely non-linear due to the gravitational forces and the coupling arising from centripetal forces.The experiment aims at swinging up the pendulum and balancing it in the upright position.Methods/Statistical Analysis: This paper describes the existing system of Furuta Inverted Pendulum manufactured by Quanser. The system consists of a motor-run rotary arm which in turn controls a pendulum. PID controller is a very commonly used controller to set the process parameters at the desired values. It can be easily tuned and also helps make use of trial and error mechanism. Cascade controller makes use of two PID controllers. Findings:The main aim of this work is to compare the performance of two controllers, namely PID controller and Cascade controller, in controlling the pendulum in the upright position and to detect their performance. The criteria of comparison would be factors including low settling time and a stable output which would make the control action more efficient and smooth. The simulation results obtained in Matlab Simulink for Conventional PID and Cascade PID controllers are included. From the simulation results the Rise time and settling time has improved by using cascade PID controller but comparatively PID has given less noise.Applications/Improvements:This work can be made use of in a number of scenarios like flight control, control of rocket propeller, unicycle, Segway transporters (which are self-balancing battery powered vehicles), two-wheel robots etc.
Cascade PID Controller, Balance Control, PID Controller, Robust Control, Rotary Inverted Pendulum.
- Apkarian J, Karam P, Levis M. Instructor workbook – Inverted pendulum experiment for Matlab/Simulink users standardized for ABET evaluation criteria developed by Quanser.
- Yavin Y. Control of rotary inverted pendulum. Laboratory for Decision and Control Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering University of Pretoria, South Africa.
- Sangfeel K, Eunji S, KyungSik K, ByungSeop S. Design of fuzzy logic controller for inverted pendulum-type mobile robot using smart in-wheel motor. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Mar; 8(S5). DOI:10.17485/ijst/2015/v8iS5/70220.
- Sirisha V, Junghare AS. A comparative study of controllers for stabilizing a rotary inverted pendulum. International Journal of Chaos, Control, Modelling and Simulation. 2014 Jun; 3(1/2).
- Ali AJS, Ramesh GP. Comparison of PI and PID controlled wind generator Fed Γ- Z source based PMSM drives. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1). DOI:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/71289.
- Akhtaruzzaman M, Shafie AA. Control of a rotary inverted pendulum using various methods, comparative assessment and result analysis.2010 International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA); 2010.p. 4–7.
- Wang J-J. Simulation study of inverted pendulumusing PID controllers.Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory. 2011 Jan;19(1):440–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.