Total views : 209
Characterization of Water-Deficit Stress-Responsive R2R3-MYB Transcription Factor Gene, ScMYB50/23 from Sugarcane
Background/Objectives: The present study aimed to characterize the role of R2R3-MYB TF gene, ScMYB50/23 from sugarcane during water-deficit stress condition. Methods: The primers specific for ScMYB50/23 were used to isolate the full length cDNA from sugarcane by PCR and characterized their predicted water-deficit stress response in sugarcane tissues (leaf, stem, root) by quantitative RT-PCR. The isolated gene was cloned and sequenced for sequence-structure analysis using various computational tools. In order to elucidate its sequence-to-structure-to-function paradigm, comparative modeling, docking and validation were performed using I-TASSER, TFmodeller and 3D footprint platforms, respectively. Findings: The present study provides the first information of stress inducible expression characteristics of the isolated R2R3-MYB TF gene, ScMYB50/23 in sugarcane. PCR amplification showed that the isolated gene was 1080 bp long, which encodes a polypeptide of 359 amino acids with theoretical molecular weight and pI of 39.2 KDa and 9.56, respectively. Comparative modeling and docking of ScMYB50/23 with MYBCORE cis-motif was generated and evaluated by structure quality assessment parameters. Analysis of increased expression pattern of ScMYB50/23 in sugarcane leaf tissue indicates an important role of this gene in water-deficit stress in sugarcane. Application/Improvements: The overall results have demonstrated the explicit role of ScMYB50/23 in conferring water-deficit stress response in sugarcane and have potential to enhance the stress tolerance and crop improvement in plants.
Expression, MYB, Stress, Sugarcane, Water-Deficit.
- Baldoni E, Genga A, Cominell E. Plant MYB transcription factors: Their role in drought response mechanisms. Int J Mol Sci. 2016; 16(7):15811-15851.
- Roy S. Function of MYB domain transcription factors in abiotic stress and epigenetic control of stress response in plant genome Plant Signal Behav. 2016;11:1.
- Hotta CT et al. The biotechnology roadmap for sugarcane improvement. Tropical Plant Biol. 2010; 3:75-87.
- Osakabe Y, Osakabe K, Shinozaki K, Tran LP. Response of plants to water stress. Front Plant Sci. 2014; 5: 86.
- Grotewold E. Transcription factors for predictive plant metabolic engineering: are we there yet? Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2008; 19:138-144.
- Du H, Feng BR, Yang SS, Huang YB, Tang YX. The R2R3-MYB transcription factor gene family in maize. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:1–12.
- Wang H, Wang H, Shao H, Tang X. Recent advances in utilizing transcription factors to improve plant abiotic stress tolerance by transgenic technology. Plant Sci. 2016; 7:67.
- Geethalakshmi S, Barathkumar S, Prabu GR. The MYB transcription factor family genes in sugarcane (Saccharum sp). Plant Mole Biol Rep. 2015; 33(3) :512-531.
- Prabu GR, Kawar PG, Madhuri CP, TheerthaPrasad D. Identification of water deficit stress upregulated genes in sugarcane. Plant Mol Biol Rep 2011; 29 (2) 291-304.
- Roy A, Kucukural A, Zhang Y. ITASSER: a unified platform for automated protein structure and function prediction. Nat Protoc. 2010; 5:725-738.
- Laskowski RA, MacArthur MW, Moss DS, Thornton JM. PROCHECK: a program to check the stereochemical quality of protein structures. J Appl Cryst. 1993;26:283-291.
- Eisenberg D, Lüthy R, Bowie JU. VERIFY3D: assessment of protein models with three-dimensional profiles. Methods Enzymol. 1997; 277: 396-404.
- Wiederstein M, Sippl MJ. ProSA-web:interactive web service for the recognition of errors in threedimensional structures of proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007; 35 (Web Server issue): W407-410.
- Moreira BC, Branger PA,Vides JC. TFmodeller: comparative modelling of protein–DNA complexes. Bioinform App Notes. 2007;23:1694-1696.
- Bower MJ, Cohen FE, Dunbrack Jr. RL. Prediction of protein side-chain rotamers from a backbone-dependent rotamer library: a homology modeling tool. J Mol Biol 1997; 267:1268-1282.
- Prabu GR, Theertha Prasad D. Structure of DNA binding MYB transcription factor protein (ScMYBASI-3) from sugarcane – Threading and AB Initio Modelling. J Phytol. 2011; 3(3): 2075-6240.
- Ogata K, Hojo H, Aimoto S, Nakai T, Nakamura H, Sarai A, Ishii S, Nishimura Y. Solution structure of a DNA-binding unit of Myb: a helix-turn-helix-related motif with conserved tryptophans forming a hydrophobic core. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1992; 89: 6428-6432.
- Angarica VE, Pérez AG, Vasconcelos AT, Collado-Vides J, Contreras-Moreira B. Prediction of TF target sites based on atomistic models of protein-DNA complexes BMC Bioinform. 2008; 9: 436.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.