Total views : 203
An Insight into Adaptive Elliptical and Hexagonal Arrays Synthesis using Normalized Fractional Least Mean Squares Algorithm
Background: Over the last two decades the use of adaptive arrays in wireless industry has seen a rapid growth. Smart antennas have the capability of ability to direct its main beam towards the desired user and supress nulls at the same time. Methods: In this paper, two different arrays namely elliptical and hexagonal arrays are considered. Four stochastic gradient based algorithms; Least Mean Squares (LMS), Fractional Least Mean Squares (FLMS), Normalized Least Mean Squares (NLMS) and Normalized Fractional Least Mean Squares (NFLMS) are evaluated. Findings: From the results conducted it is shown that hexagonal array using Normalized Fractional Least Mean squares algorithm as the weighting scheme provide optimum results in terms of side lobe reduction and more precise main beam direction when compared to the other array configuration taken into consideration. Applications: Smart antennas increase signal range, suppress the interfering signals to a minimum range which provide greater advantage in wireless systems.
Antenna Arrays, Array Factor, NFLMS, Side Lobe Reduction, Smart Antennas.
- Balanis CA, Ioannides PI. Introduction to smart antennas. Synthesis Lectures on Antennas. 2007 Jan; 2(1):1–75.
- Tsoulos G, Beach M, McGeehan J. Wireless personal communications for the 21st century: European technological advances in adaptive antennas. IEEE Communications Magazine. 1997 Sep; 35(9):102–29.
- Roy RH. Application of smart antenna technology in wireless communication systems. Mobile Networking with WAP 2000, Vieweg+ Teubner Verlag; 2000. p. 65–71.
- Cooper M, Goldburg M. Intelligent antennas: Spatial division multiple access. Annual Review of Communications; 1996 Oct 4. p. 999–1002.
- Raviteja GV, Sridevi K, Rani AJ, Rao VM. Adaptive uniform circular array synthesis using cuckoo search algorithm. Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications. 2016 Apr; 8(04):71–8.
- Haupt RL. Adaptive nulling with weight constraints. Progress in Electromagnetics Research B. 2010; 26:23–38.
- Noordin NH, Zuniga V, El-Rayis AO, Haridas N, Erdogan AT, Arslan T. Uniform circular arrays for phased array antenna. 2011 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC); Loughborough. 2011 Nov. p. 1–4.
- Rahim T. Directional pattern synthesis in circular arrays of directional antennas. London: University of London; 1980. p. 257–43.
- Ioannides P, Balanis CA. Uniform circular and rectangular arrays for adaptive beam forming applications. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters; 2005; 4:351–4.
- Bera R, Lanjewar R, Mandal D, Kar R, Ghoshal SP. Comparative study of circular and hexagonal antenna array synthesis using improved particle swarm optimization. Procedia Computer Science. 2015 Dec; 45:651–60.
- Geravanchizadeh M, Osgouei SG. Dual-channel speech enhancement using normalized fractional least-meansquares algorithm. 19th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE); Tehran. 2011 May. p. 1–5.
- Raviteja GV, Sridevi K, Rao VM, Rani AJ. Synthesis of adaptive uniform circular array using Normalized Fractional Least Mean Squares algorithm. American Journal of Signal Processing. 2016; 6(1):14–8.
- Rao AV, Ankaiah NB, Cheruku DR. Antenna performance improvement in elliptical array using RMI method of mutual coupling compensation. Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis and Applications. 2016 Jan; 8(01):8–21.
- Subba Reddy G, Ayyem Pillai V. A study of sample matrix inversion algorithm for smart antenna applications. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(15):1–5.
- Pavani T, Das RP, Jyothi AN, Murthy AS. Investigations on array pattern synthesis using nature inspired metaheuristic algorithms. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–11.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.