Total views : 280
Effect on Surface Roughness of Laser AblatedSS 321 Material Coated with Graphene and SiC
Objectives: SS 321 is an austenitic stainless steel material which finds application in many fields. The coating on SS 321 by Graphene and SiC are used to improve the thermal resistance and strength of SS 321. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Coating of Graphene and SiC on SS 321 was done by spin coating and drop casting. The coated samples were subject to laser ablation followed by flame treatment. Then treated and untreated samples were characterized by SEM, EDX and Surface roughness measurement. Findings: From the SEM images the coating was found to be uniform and from the EDX measurement, the composition of the samples has been calculated and no observable impurities found. From the surface roughness measurement, it is evident that the roughness parameter changes from untreated to treated samples but there were no sign of cracks, which proves that the coating by Graphene and SiC on SS 321 is viable and increases the strength of the material. Application/Improvement: By doing Atomic Force Microscopy and thermal resistance and strength measurements on Graphene SiC coated SS 321 can give further authentic result or by choosing CNT like materials for coating, may improve the performance of SS 321.
Graphene, SS 321, SiC, Spin Coating, Surface Roughness, SEM.
- Tong Y, Siva S, Bohm B, Song M. Graphene based materials and their composites as coatings. Austin Journal of Nanomedical Nanotechnology. 2014; 1(1):1003.
- Yong-xiong C, Bin-shi X, Yan L, Xiu-bing L, Yi X. Structure and sliding wear behavior of 321 stainless steel/Al composite coating deposited by high velocity arc spraying technique. Trans Nonferrous Met Soc China. 2008; 18(3):603–9.
- Novoselov KS, Geim AK, Morozov SV, Jiang D, Zhang Y, Dubonos SV. Electric field effect in atomically thin carbon films. Science. 2004; 306(5696):666–9.
- Sanjines R, Abad MD, Vaju C, Smajda R, Mionic M, Magrez A. Electrical properties and applications of carbon based nanocomposite materials: An overview. Surf Coatings Technology. 2011; 206(4):727–33.
- Singh V, Joung D, Zhai L, Das S, Khondaker SI, Seal S. Graphene based materials: Past, present and future. Progress in Material Mater Science. 2011; 56(8):1178–271.
- Lee C, Wei X, Kysar JW, Hone J. Measurement of the elastic properties and intrinsic strength of monolayer graphene. Science. 2008; 321(5887):385–88.
- Lee C, Wei X, Li Q, Carpick R, Kysar JW, Hone J. Elastic and frictional properties of graphene. Phys Status Solidi. 2009; 246(11-2):256–7.
- Balandin AA, Ghosh S, Bao W, Calizo I, Teweldebrhan D. Superior thermal conductivity of singlelayer graphene. Nano Lett. 2008; 8(2):902–7.
- Zhang H, Lee HK. Plungerinneedle solidphase microextraction with graphenebased solgel coating as sorbent for determination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers. J Chromatogr A. 2011; 1218(28):4509–16.
- Zhu Y, Murali S, Cai W, Li X, Suk JW, Potts JR. Graphene and graphene oxide: Synthesis, properties, and applications. Adv Mater. 2010; 22(35):3906–24.
- Young RJ, Kinloch IA, Gong L, Novoselov KS. The mechanics of graphene nanocomposites: A review. Compos Sci Technol. 2012; 72(12):1459–76.
- Yoo BM, Shin HJ, Yoon HW, Park HB. Graphene and graphene oxide and their uses in barrier polymers. J Appl Polym Sci. 2014; 131(1).
- Sahoo S, Sahoo SK. Graphene: A fascinating material. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Dec; 2(12):74–8.
- Xie J, James P, Spallas S. Application note different contrast mechanisms in SEM imaging of grapheme. Agilent Technologies; 2012. p. 1–8.
- Ryl J, Arutunow A, Mateusz T, Tobiszewski T, Wysocka J. Aspects of intergranular corrosion of AISI 321 stainless steel in high-carbon-containing environments. Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials. 2014; 61(5):328–33.
- Pravin R. Paratel P, Ravindra B, Yarasu Y. Optimization of process parameters of lapping operation by taguchi approach for surface roughness of SS 321. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology. 2013; 4(4):15–21.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.