Total views : 211
Performance Assessment of WiMAX using Diverse FEC Schemes over Fading Channels
Diverse modern wireless broadband communication systems are based on what is called Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM), which is a basic part of WiMAX. By making use of OFDM, we deal with frequency and time selectivity which are the major concerns when mobile or wireless communication is established between base and subscriber stations. WiMAX cuts the cost because it’s a wireless technology and hence there is little maintenance. Also, it provides higher data rates and has large coverage area compared to its counters parts. In this paper, we make a comparison of various channel coding techniques like convolutional codes, BCH codes, LDPC codes and RS codes over two fading channels namely Rayleigh channel and Rician channel and four modulation orders of PSK. The simulation results show that RS codes and BCH codes perform very well in all conditions whereas convolutional codes lag somewhat in their performance. In addition to this, Rician channel has a better response compared to Rayleigh channel in any modulation order or FEC codes being used in a WiMAX system.
BCH, BER, FEC, LDPC, RS, WiMAX.
- Ohrtman F. WiMAX Handbook 802.16 Wireless Networks. McGraw Hill; 2005.
- Rappaport TS. Wireless Communications Principles and Practice. 2nd ed. Pretence Hall; 2002. p. 1–7.
- Mohan KJ, Cheriyan R. High-speed address generating design for the dynamic modulation scheme supportive WiMAX De-interleaver. Proceedings of International Conference on Magnetics, Machines and Drives; Kottayam. 2014. p. 1–5.
- Xinyu Z. A basic research on forward error correction. Proceedings of International Conference on Communication Software and Networks; Xi'an. 2011. p. 462–5.
- Ding C, Du X, Zhou Z. The Bose and minimum distance of a class of BCH Codes. IEEE Transaction Information. 2015; 61(5):2351–6.
- Campbell RL, Ebel WJ. Simulation issues for binary digital communication systems using BCH and RS codes. Proceedings of IEEE Bringing together Science and Technology; Tampa, FL. 1996. p. 191–4.
- Almoliki YM, Aldhaeebi MA, Almwald GA, Shoabi MA. The performance of RS and RSCC coded cooperation system using higher order modulation schemes. Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Modeling and Simulation; USA. 2015. p. 211–4.
- Liu H, Huang Q, Deng G, Chen J. Quasi-cyclic representation and vector representation of RS-LDPC Codes. IEEE Transactions on Communication. 2015; 63(4):1033–42.
- Patidar M, Dubey R, Jain NK, Kulpariya S. Performance analysis of WiMAX 802.16e physical layer. Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communication Networks; Indore. 2012 Sep. p. 1–4.
- Khan S, Fisal N, Bakar ZA, Salawu N, Maqbool W, Ullah R, Safdar H. Secure authentication and key management protocols for mobile multihop WiMAX Networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Jan; 7(3):282–95.
- Singh C, Patterh MS, Sharma S. Design of programmable digital down converter for WiMAX. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Mar; 2(3):20–1.
- Qamar RA, Maarof MA, Ibrahim S. An efficient encoding algorithm for (n, k) binary cyclic codes. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 May; 5(5):2757–61.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.