Total views : 267
Determination of Correlation between Laboratory based Electrical Resistivity and Bulk Density of Compacted Laterite Soil
Objectives: The principal objective of this study is to contribute towards the possible replacement of the conventional techniques by implying geoelectrical technique which is an attractive tool for depicting sub surface soil profile to study the relationship between Laboratory Electrical Resistivity (LER) and Bulk Density (BD) of compacted laterite soil. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This research study is based on laboratory investigation of laterite soil properties and its relationship with electrical resistivity values. Findings: Beside some inconsistencies observed, the present study also reveals some significant results by showing a decreasing trend between electrical resistivity and BD for 40 soil samples. Application/Improvement: Laterite soil engineering properties are usually investigated through borehole sampling by employing heavy machinery, which affects the cost of the project and took too much time in the completion of the projects. Therefore an alternative, quick and less cost involved method is needed for soil investigation. Electrical resistivity technique is one of the most popular method which can be used for detailed soil investigation as being a cost effective, time saving and less effort involved method.
Borehole Sampling, Bulk Density, Correlations, Laterite Soil, Laboratory Electrical Resistivity.
- Hazreek Z, Aziman M, AzharA, Chitral W, Fauziah A, Rosli S. The behaviour of laboratory soil electrical resistivity value under basic soil properties influences. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, IOP Publishing; 2015. p. 1–10.
- Jiao-Jun Z, Hong-Zhang K, Gonda Y. Application of Wenner configuration to estimate soil water content in pine plantations on sandy land. Pedosphere. 2007; 17(6):801–12.
- Liu X, JiaY, Zheng J, Shan H, Li H. Field and laboratory resistivity monitoring of sediment consolidation in China's Yellow River estuary. Engineering Geology. 2013; 164:77–85.
- Corwin D, Lesch S. Apparent soil electrical conductivity measurements in agriculture. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 2005; 46(1):11–43.
- Lesmes DP, Friedman SP. Relationships between the electrical and hydrogeological properties of rocks and soils. Hydrogeophysics, Springer; 2005. p. 87–128.
- Purvance DT, Andricevic R. On the electrical-hydraulic conductivity correlation in aquifers. Water Resources Research. 2000; 36(10):2905–13.
- Arora T, Ahmed S. Characterization of recharge through complex vadose zone of a granitic aquifer by time-lapse electrical resistivity tomography. Journal of Applied Geophysics. 2011; 73(1):35–44.
- Cho I-K, Yeom JY. Crossline resistivity tomography for the delineation of anomalous seepage pathways in an embankment dam. Geophysics. 2007; 72(2):31–8.
- Cardarelli E, Cercato M, Filippo DG. Assessing foundation stability and soil-structure interaction through integrated geophysical techniques: A case history in Rome (Italy). Near Surface Geophysics. 2007; 5(2):141–7.
- Zeid NA, Balducci M, Bartocci F, Regni R,Santarato G. Indirect estimation of injected mortar volume in historical walls using the electrical resistivity tomography. Journal of Cultural Heritage. 2010; 11(2):220–7.
- Jaritngam S, Somchainuek O, Taneerananon P. An investigation of lateritic soil cement for sustainable pavements. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Nov; 5(11):1–4.
- Abidin MHZ, Saad R, Ahmad F, Wijeyesekera DC, Yahya AS. Soil moisture content and density prediction using laboratory resistivity experiment. International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2013; 5(6):731–5.
- Siddiqui FI, Osman S. Integrating geo-electrical and geotechnical data for soil characterization. International Journal of Applied Physics and Mathematics. 2012; 2(2):104.
- Tezel O, Ozcep F. Relationships of electrical resistivity and geotechnical parameters. Proc of Conf on Earth Sciences and Electronics; Istanbul, Turkey. 2003.p. 1250–68.
- Bai W, Kong L, Guo A. Effects of physical properties on electrical conductivity of compacted lateritic soil. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. 2013; 5(5):406–11.
- Memon MB, Osman SBABS, Qazi WH. Effects of shear strength properties on electrical resistivity of compacted laterite soil: A conceptual model. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2016; 11(6):3663–7.
- Hazreek ZAM, Aziman M, AzharATS, Chitral WD, Fauziah A, Rosli S. The behaviour of laboratory soil electrical resistivity value under basic soil properties influences. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science; 2015. p. 1–10.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.