Total views : 269
Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine Fueled with Mahua Oil Methyl Ester Blended Diesel with Methanol Additives
Objectives: This work investigates the emission and performance characteristics of compression ignition engine fuelled with Mahua oil biodiesel blended with commercial diesel fuel with additives as methanol. At first, the fuel was prepared by blending 10%, 20% and 30% of Mahua oil biodiesel with diesel on volume basis after that in the same fuel mixture 5%, 10% of methanol is added as additive in volume basis. Methods: Experiment was conducted in water cooled, 4 stroke single cylinder naturally aspirated CI engine, ata continual speed of 1500rpm by changing the load from 0% to 100% and performance and emission characterises has been obtained. Findings: The result shows that the performance of the engine is improved marginally with 5% methanol in biodiesel (B10) in comparison with diesel fuel and 10% of Mahua biodiesel with 5% of methanol has higher Brake thermal efficiency (BTE). As compared to diesel fuel, the Mahua diesel blends leads to reduced NOX emission of the aspired diesel engine. With the high amount of methanol in the Mahua biodiesel blends the HC and CO emissions are increased. Novelty: As the engine performances increases with Mahua blended oil in low blended fuels and also the low emission proves that the Mahua oil blended biodiesel can be an alternative fuel for the CI engine.
Biodiesel, Blended Diesel, Combustion, Mahua Oil.
- Marchetti JM, Miguel VU, Errazu AF. Possible methods for biodiesel production. Renewable Sustainable Energy Rev. 2007; 11:1300–11.
- Canakci M. Combustion characteristics of a turbocharged DI compression ignition engine fuelled with petroleum diesel fuels and biodiesel. Bioresour Technol. 2007; 98:1167–75.
- Orhan A, Recep Y, Ayhan D. Production of diesel-like fuel from waste engine oil by pyrolytic distillation. Appl Energy. 2010; 87:122–7.
- Fernando BL, Gemma V, Rosalia R, Maria P. Optimization of FAME production from waste cooking oil for biodiesel use. Biomass Bioenergy. 2009; 33:862–72.
- Guan Hua H, Feng C, Dong W, Xue Wu Z, Gu C. Biodiesel production by microalgal biotechnology. Appl Energy. 2010; 87:38–46.
- Azam MM, Waris A, Nahar NM. Prospects and potential of fatty acid methyl esters of some non-traditional seed oils for use as bio-diesel in India. Biomass Bioenergy. 2005; 29:293–302.
- Foidl N, Foidl G, Sanchez M, Mittelbach M, Hackel S. Jatropha Curcas L. as a source for the production of bio-fuel in Nicaragua. Bioresource Technol. 1996; 58:77–82.
- Agarwal D, Kumar L, Agarwal AK. Performance evaluation of a vegetable oil fuelled compression ignition engine. Renewable Energy. 2008; 33(6):1147–56.
- Raheman H, Ghadge SV. The performance of compression ignition engine with mahua (Madhucaindica) biodiesel. Fuel. 2007; 86:2568–73.
- Puhan S,Vedaraman N, Rambrahamam BV, Nagrajan G. Performance and emission study of mahua oil ethyl ester in for stroke naturally aspirated direct injection diesel engine Renewable energy. 2005; 30:1269–78.
- Kapilan N, Reddy RP. Evaluation of methyl ester of Mahua oil as diesel fuel. Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society. 2008; 85:185–8.
- Nayak SK, Pattanaik BP. Experimental Investigation on Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Mahua Biodiesel using Additive. Energy Procedia. 2014; 54:569–79.
- Lakshmikanth G, Arunkumar G. Mahua Oil Biodiesel Blends as Alternate Fuel in Diesel engine. International Journal of Scientific Research. 2013; 2. ISSN No 2277-8179.
- Puhan S, Vedaraman N, Sankarnarayanan G, Bopanna V, Bharat R. Performance and emission study of mahua oil (Madhuca Indica oil) ethyl ester in a four-stroke naturally aspirated direct injection diesel engine Renew Energy. 2004; 1–10.
- Sukumar P, Vedaraman N, Boppara VB, Sankarnarayanan R. mahua oil methyl ester as biodiesel preparation and emission characteristics biomass and bioenergy. 2005; 28:87–93.
- Nayak SK, Pattanaik BP. Experimental Investigation on Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Mahua Biodiesel using Additive. 4th International Conference on Advances in Energy Research, ICAER. 2013 2017.07.298.
- Navaneethakrishnan P, Vasudevan D. Experimental Study on Performance and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of a C.I. Engine Fuelled with Tri Compound Oxygenated Diesel Fuel Blends. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(1). Doi:10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i1/53276.
- Ramarao K, Rao CJ, Sreeramulu D. The experimental investigation on performance and emission characteristics of a single cylinder diesel engine using nano additives in diesel and biodiesel. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(29). Doi:10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i29/75718.
- Prabhahar M, Murali Manohar R, Sendilvelan S. Performance and emissions characteristics of a diesel engine with various injection pressures using biodiesel. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Jun; 5(6). Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2012/v5i6/30480
- Satyanarayana Murthy YVV, Sastry GRK, Satyanaryana MRS. Experimental investigation of performance and emissions on low speed diesel engine with dual injection of solar generated steam and pongamia methyl ester. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jan; 4(1). Doi: 10.17485/ijst/2011/v4i1/29928.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.