Total views : 500
A Review on Application of Bellows Expansion Joints and Effect of Design Parameters on System Characteristics
Objectives: A bellows expansion joint is an assembly of two or more bellows which help to tackle expansion or contraction in the system where it is designed to fit in. It was found, various independent researchers did lot of research in the design and geometry of bellows expansion joint but a review of all is scare, we have put forth the different possible features of bellows design in this paper. Methods/Analysis: The bellows, consisting of one or more convolutions, are designed to offer further agility in the configuration of piping structures and pressure vessel applications involving thermal expansion and relative movement in system. Numerous researchers have conducted studies on bellows expansion joints with the help of standards such as ASME and EJMA. They have wide applications and are understood as a significant. Thus various parameters pertaining to the design of bellows expansion joints, which affect the characteristics of the system, have been reviewed. Findings: From this review, it can be said that for all the design condition, there was not bellow geometry or design parameters are superior. Under such designs based on the standards, it is expected to perform exhaustive analysis involving sound engineering judgment. Meanwhile, the choice of bellows expansion joint is sufficiently broad depending upon the applications. Improvement: Certainly there is still room for new design principles and analysis based on analytical, experimental and FEA studies. Particularly, study of bellows subjected to torsions may be done as little is found in the literature and the existing standards.
Bellows Expansion Joints, Buckling, Fatigue, Shape of Convolution, Vibration.
- Andersson WF. Analysis of stresses in bellows, Part I design criteria and test results. Atomic International, NAA-SR-4527, United States Atomic Energy Commission. 1964.
- Andersson WF. Analysis of stresses in bellows, Part II mathematical. Atomic International, NAA-SR-4527, United States Atomic Energy Commission. 1965.
- EJMA, Standards of the Expansion Joint Manufacturers Association, ninth edition. 2008.
- Broman GI, Jonsson AP, Hermann MP. Determining dynamic characteristics of bellows by manipulated beam finite elements of commercial software. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2000; 77(8):445–53.
- Jakubauskas VF, Weaver DS. Transverse vibrations of bellows expansion joints -Part I: Fluid added mass. Journal of Fluids and Structures. 1998; 12(4):445–56.
- Jakubauskas VF, Weaver DS. Transverse vibrations of bellows expansion joints- Part II: beam model development and experimental verification. Journal of Fluids and Structures. 1998; 12(4):457–73.
- Shaikh H, George G, Singh Khatak H. Failure analysis of an AM 350 steel bellows. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2001; 8(6): 571–6.
- Jha Abhay K, Diwaker V, Sreekumar K. Metallurgical investigation on stainless steel bellows used in satellite launch vehicle. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2006; 13(8):1437–47.
- Pierce S, Evans J. Failure analysis of a metal bellows flexible hose subjected to multiple pressure cycles. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2012; 22:11–20.
- Panda B, Sujata M, Madan M, Bhaumik SK. Stress corrosion cracking in 316 stainless steel bellows of a pressure safety valve. Engineering Failure Analysis. 2014; 36:379–89.
- Veiga, Jordana LBC, Medeiros J, Carlos Veiga J. Analysis of expansion joints movement test in FCC unit. International Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, ASME. 2014; 136(5):1–7.
- Lee SW. Study on the forming parameters of the metal bellows. Journal of Material Processing Technology. 2002; 130-131: 47–53.
- Li Y, Sheng S. Strength Analysis and Structural Optimisation of U-shaped bellows. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 1990; 42(1):33–46.
- Sen K, Adeli H. A new steel expansion joint for industrial plants: Bubble joint. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2006; 83(6):447–63.
- Igi S, Katayama H, Kawahara M. Evaluation of mechanical behaviour of new type bellows with two-directional convolutions. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2000; 197:107–14.
- Becht C. Fatigue of bellows, a new design approach. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 2000; 77(13): 843–50.
- Zhu YZ, Wang HF, Sang ZF. The effect of environmental medium on fatigue life for u-shaped bellows expansion joints. International Journal of Fatigue. 2006; 28(1):28–32.
- Tanaka M. Fatigue life estimation of bellows based on elasticplastic calculations. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 1974; 2:51–68.
- Gerlach CR. Flow induced vibrations of metal bellows, ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry. 1969; 91(4):1196–202.
- Jakubauskas VF. Added Fluid Mass for Bellows Expansion Joints in Axial Vibrations. Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology ASME. 1999; 121(2):216–9.
- Li T, Guo B, Li T. Natural Frequencies of U-shaped bellows. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 1990; 42(1):61–74.
- Radhakrishna M, KameswaraRao C. Axial vibrations of U-shaped bellows with elastically restrained end conditions. Thin-walled structures. 2004; 42(3):415–26.
- Morishita M, Ikahata N, Kitamura S. Simplified dynamic analysis methods for metallic bellows expansion joints. Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, ASME. 1991; 113(4):504–10.
- Lambert LD, Parks MB. Experiments to evaluate behaviour of containment piping bellows under severe accident conditions. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 1996; 163(3):287–99.
- Brown JA, Tice GA. Containment penetrations- flexible metallic bellows: Testing, safety, life extension issues. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 1993; 145(3):419–30.
- Haringx JA. The instability of bellows subjected to internal pressure. Philips Research Report 7. 1952; 189–96.
- Newland DE. Buckling of double bellows expansion joints under internal pressure. Journal Mechanical Engineering Science. 1964; 6(3):270–7.
- Snedden NW. Analysis and design guidance for the lateral stiffness of bellows expansion joints. Thin-Walled Structures. 1985; 3(2):145–62.
- Ooka Y, Yoshie S, Morishita M, Tsukimori K. Dynamic buckling characteristics of bellows under pressure waves. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 1990; 44(1):137–58.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.