Total views : 218
Improvement of Correlation using Artificial Neural Networks Technique for the Prediction of Resistivity against Soil Strength Properties
Objectives: To investigate the relationship of laboratory electrical resistivity with soil shear strength properties at a controlled moisture content (30%). However, this research was carried out to collect the forty (40) samples from different locations of Perak state, Malaysia under different atmospheric conditions incorporating characterization of soil tests, laboratory 1D resistivity method using fabricated sand box. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This work was carried out through direct shear test by using DS7 software to evaluate cohesion and angle of friction, the values ranges from 21.22kPa to 87.25kPa and 5.17° to 42.85° respectively. Findings: The obtained correlation models were compared to the co-efficient of R2 predicted from artificial neural network system. Lavenberg-Marquardt learning rule was utilized up to 20 hidden neurons which showedthe higher accuracy in all soil samples. Relationship developed between laboratory electrical resistivity with cohesion and angle of friction were found out to be more significant with co-efficient of regression values for cohesion enhanced from 0.54 to 0.70 (all soils), 0.265 to 0.515 (silty-sand soils) and 0.027 to 0.540 (clay soils). Similarly, for angle of friction the R2 improved from 0.56 to 0.66 (all soils), 0.57 to 0.763 (silty-sand) and 0.21 to 0.447 (clay soils) respectively. Therefore, the findings reported in this study has been improved which could be helpful because ANNproduces promising results and its advantages can be utilized by developing or using new algorithms in future studies which can produce more precise evaluations. Applications/ Improvements: Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) are the algorithms that can be used to perform non-linear statistical modeling and able to provide a new alternative regression values. Therefore, in the current this technique is applied on the same data extracted from least-square regression analysis in order to achieve better and improved correlation models.
Artificial Neural Network, Laboratory Resistivity, Soil Shear Strength Properties, Wenner Probe Method.
- Siddiqui, FI, Osman SBABS. In electrical resistivity based non-destructive testing method for determination of soil’s strength properties. Advanced Materials Research. 2012:1553–7.
- Scollar, I, Tabbagh, A, Hesse, A, Herzog, I. Archaeological prospecting and remote sensing. Cambridge University Press; 1990.
- Osman SBS, Fikri MN, Siddique FI. Correlation of electrical resistivity with some soil parameters for the development of possible prediction of slope stability and bearing capacity of soil using electrical parameters. Pertanika Journal Scince and Technology. 2012.
- Gue S-S, Wong S-Y. In slope engineering design and construction practice in Malaysia, CIE-IEM Joint Seminar on Geotechnical Engineering. Yilan, Taiwan; 2009.
- (a) Friedman SP. Soil properties influencing apparent electrical conductivity: A review. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 2005; 46(1–3):45–70. (b) Schwartz BF, Schreiber ME, Yan T. Quantifying field-scale soil moisture using electrical resistivity imaging. Journal of Hydrology. 2008; 362(3):234–46.
- Shahin MA, Jaksa MB, Maier HR. Artificial neural network applications in geotechnical engineering. Australian Geomechanics. 2001; 36(1):49–62.
- Jaksa MB. The influence of spatial variability on the geotechnical design properties of a stiff, overconsolidated clay; 1995.
- Siddiqui FI, Osman S. Integrating geo-electrical and geotechnical data for soil characterization. International Journal of Applied Physics and Mathematics. 2012; 2(2):104–6.
- Yoon GL, Park JB. Sensitivity of leachate and fine contents on electrical resistivity variations of sandy soils. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2001; 84(2):147–61.
- Bowles JE. Engineering properties of soils and their measurement. McGraw-Hill, Inc:; 1992.
- Semire FA, Mohd-Mokhtar R, Ismail W, Mohamad N, Mandeep J. Ground validation of space-borne satellite rainfall products in Malaysia. Advances in Space Research. 2012; 50(9):1241–9.
- Abu-Hassanein ZC, Benson CH, Blotz LR. Electrical resistivity of compacted clays. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. 1996.
- (a) Shabani A, Norouzi M. Predicting cation exchange capacity by artificial neural network and multiple linear regression using terrain and soil characteristics. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(28). (b) Ballabio C. Spatial prediction of soil properties in temperate mountain regions using support vector regression. Geoderma. 2009; 151(3):338–50. (c) Pozdnyakova L, Pozdnyakov A, Zhang, R. Application of geophysical methods to evaluate hydrology and soil properties in urban areas. Urban Water. 2001; 3(3):205–16.
- Erchul RA, Gularte RC. Electrical resistivity used to measure liquefaction of sand. Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division. 1982; 1085):778–82.
- Kim JH, Yoon H-K, Lee J-S. Void ratio estimation of soft soils using electrical resistivity cone probe. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. 2010; 137(1):86–93.
- Giao P, Chung S, Kim D, Tanaka H. Electric imaging and laboratory resistivity testing for geotechnical investigation of Pusan clay deposits. Journal of Applied Geophysics. 2003; 52(4):157–75.
- Grossi E, Buscema M. Introduction to artificial neural networks. European journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2007; 19(12):1046–54.
- Rizwan JM, Krishnan PN, Karthikeyan R, Kumar SR. Multi layer perception type artificial neural network based traffic control. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016, 9(5).
- Ramasamy S, Lakshmanan I. Application of artificial neural network for software reliability growth modeling with testing effort. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(29).
- Chandar SK, Sumathi M, Sivanandam S. Prediction of stock market price using hybrid of wavelet transform and artificial neural network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(8).
- (a) Goh AT, Kulhawy FH, Chua C. Bayesian neural network analysis of undrained side resistance of drilled shafts. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. 2005; 131(1):84–93. (b) Goh A. Back-propagation neural networks for modeling complex systems. Artificial Intelligence in Engineering. 1995; 9(3):143–51.
- Das S, Basudhar P. Prediction of hydraulic conductivity of clay liners using artificial neural network. Lowl. Technol. Int. Off. J. Int. Assoc. Lowl. Technol. (IALT)/Inst. Lowl. Technol. Saga Univ. 2007; 9(1):50–8.
- Razali MNFB, Osman BS, Azahar SB. In non-quantitative correlation of soil resistivity with some soil parameters. National Postgraduate Conference (NPC), 2011, IEEE; 2011. p. 1–4.
- Spoor G, Godwin R. Soil deformation and shear strength characteristics of some clay soils at different moisture contents. Journal of Soil Science. 1979; 30(3):483–98.
- Sadek MS. A comparative study of the electrical and hydraulic conductivities of compacted clay. University of California, Berkeley; 1993.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.