Total views : 438
Chinese and Korean Researchers on Diplomatic Mediation of China in the North Korea Nuclear Issue
Background/Objectives: The study describes the role of China as a diplomatic mediator in the six-party talks. The objective is to show how China deals with North Korean dispute employing preventive diplomacy. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The study of Chinese mediation in solving North Korean nuclear issue called for applying various methods of political science. The method of systemic analysis helps analyzing the political situation on the Korean Peninsula, illustrated in the publications of foreign authors. The method of statistical analysis was used to systematize data and to comprehend Chinese diplomatic actions focused on maintaining peace on the Korean Peninsula. Findings: There is ever growing division of opinions on how to deal with North Korea's nuclear weapons program. The results of the study made it possible to identify the fact that China opposes the use of force and military means to resolve the conflict on the peninsula. The Chinese government reaffirms that sanctions and military means are not effective solutions, but only exacerbate the situation. The authors of the study believe that Chinese diplomats and the government support effective dialogue on the objectives of denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and consider it an effective way to solve the nuclear issue, notwithstanding a series of nuclear tests and ballistic missile launches over recent years. Chinese experts believe that after the end of the Cold War, diplomatic mediation has become an important element in the international practice of conflict prevention and resolution. Application/Improvements: Chinese officials support peaceful diplomatic solutions. Improvements should be focused on denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and a truce-to-peace mechanism should be pursued to resolve the concerns of all parties.
China’s Mediation, Nuclear Tests, Preventive Diplomacy of China, Six-Party Talks, South and North Korean Authors, The DPRK Nuclear Issue.
- 刘学成。关于在亚太地区开展预防性外交的几点 看法//中国国际问题研究所。2012-02-17 (Suechen L. Beijing: Research Institute of International Affairs of China: On the issue of developing preventive diplomacy in Asia-Pacific Region. 17.02.2012; p. 1-6). Date accessed: 16/10/2015: Available from: http://www.doc88.com/p091202509464.html.
- 方向勤。预防性外交：基于概念的比较分析//国际政 治研究(京)2007年3期。(Fan Syantsin. Preventive diplomacy: comparative analysis based on the concept. Beijing: International Political Research. 2007; 22(30):72–83.
- 박근혜대통령 ‘미·중신뢰외교’대북제재안이끌어냈다 (Von Kim Chon. Diplomacy of trust between the PRC and the USA of President Park Geun-hye led to sanctions against the DPRK. Date accessed: 05/04/2016: Available from: http:// www.asiatoday.co.kr/view.php?key=20160303010001462.
- 외교부 “한중정상회담, 북핵해결중요모멘텀될것으 로기대” (Cho Pit Na. Korean-Chinese negotiations: waiting for an incentive to solve North Korean nuclear issue. Date accessed: 05/04/2016: Available from: http://news.kbs.co.kr/news/view.do?ncd=3257214&ref=A.
- 김장수주중대사 “한중, 정치·경제·문화등제반분야성숙 단계” (Uk Kim Don. Ambassador of the Republic of Korea to the PRC Kim Chang Su on the new stage in the relations between the Republic of Korea and the PRC in politics, economics, culture, etc. Date accessed: 04/04.2016: Available from: http://www.ajunews.com/view/20160317172316136.
- 사드(THAAD)문제와향후의한중관계 (Syng Sin Chong.Problems with Non Proliferation Treaty and further relationships between the Republic of Korea and the PRC. Date accessed: 26/03/2016: Available from: http://www.kookje.co.kr/news2011/asp/newsbody.asp?code=1700& key=20160329.22030192828.
- 朱锋。中国的外交斡旋与朝核问题六方会谈―为什么 外交解决朝核问题这么难？ //外交评论。北京：北京 大学国际关系学院，2006年4月，第2期。(Fen Chzhu. Diplomatic cooperation of China and six-party talks on nuclear issue – why it is difficult for diplomats to resolve the nuclear issue? Review of diplomatic relations. Beijing: International Institute, Beijing University. 2006; p. 23–30. Date accessed: 10.16.2015: Available from: http://www.doc88.com/p-9925730711000.html.
- Yan Chan. The role of China in resolving North Korean nuclear issue. Polis: Political Studies. 2008; p. 157–61.
- 더민주, 정부대북제재에 “실효성의문” (Khen Chhve Chi. Minchu Party: The question is brought up to discuss inefficiency of governmental sanctions against the DPRK. Date accessed: 04/03/2016: Available from: http://www.vop.co.kr/A00001000458.html.
- 북한들렀던제3국선박의국내입항금지…해상운송 ‘봉 쇄’ (Khun Kim De. Suspending maritime traffic (Russia – the DPRK – the Republic of Korea) due to sanctions. Date accessed: 04/03/2016: Available from: http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=2016030878061.
- Expert: The world will have to come to terms with “nuclear North Korea”. Komsomolskaya Pravda. 03.25.2005. Date accessed: 12/10/2015: Available from: http://www.nsk.kp.ru/online/news/24126.
- 何静文，沈艳杰。中国在朝鲜核问题中的立场和政 策选择//辽宁经济职业技术学院辽宁经济管理干部 学院学报。2010年第5期。45–46页。(Tszinven Khe, Yantsze Shen. Stance and political choice of China on the Northern Korean nuclear issue. Bulletin of Economic and Technological Institute of Lyaonin and the Institute of Economy Staff Management of Lyaonin. 2010; 5:45–46.
- Koldunova V. Russia and approaches to preventive diplomacy in Asia-Pacific Region. Part 1. Date accessed: 16/10/2015: Available from: http://www.mgimo.ru/news/ experts/document212444.phtml.
- Mikheyev VV, Fedorovskiy AN. Moscow: IMEMO Russian Academy of Sciences: Inter-Korean relationships and politics of regional powers (Scientific report). 2014.
- 김종인 “朴대통령, 새대북관계위해외교안보라인교체 해야” (Jong-un Kim. President Park should change diplomatic approach for new relationships between the North and the South. Date accessed: Available from: 04/04/2016: http://news1.kr/articles/?2578453.
- 王海峰，张旺等。朝鲜宣布第一枚氢弹成功试验//环球 网。2016.01.06 (Khayfen V, Van C. North Korea announced the first successful thermo-nuclear bomb test. Huanzuvan. 01.06.2016. Date accessed: 13/03/2016: Available from: http://world.huanqiu.com/article/2016-01/8328062_6.html.
- 朝鲜宣布特别重大消息：第一枚氢弹试验成功//环球 网。2016.01.06 (Huanzuvan. 06.01.2016. Breaking news from North Korea: the first successful test of thermonuclear bomb.) Date accessed: 13/03/2016: http://msn.huanqiu.com/mil/world/2016-01/8326083.html.
- 国际社会坚决反对朝鲜进行核试验//人民日报。2016 年01月07日，03版。(Zhibao Zhenmin. 3. 07.03.2016. International community protests against the DPRK nuclear launches. Date accessed: 16/10/2015: Available from: http://paper.people.com.cn/rmrb/html/2016-01/07/ nw.D110000renmrb_20160107_3-03.htm.
- China is willing to cooperate with the DPRK on restarting of the six-party talks. International Panorama, 2015. Date accessed 16/10/2015: Available from: http://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnayapanorama/2334662.
- Saunders CP. Arms Control Association: Confronting Ambiguity: How to Handle North Korea’s Nuclear Program. 2003. Date accessed: 05/04/2016: Available from: http:// www.armscontrol.org/act/2003_03/saunders_mar03.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.