Total views : 408
Problems and Literary Characters in the World Prose of the 20-21st Century: I. S. Shmelev, D. Setterfield, Su Tong
Background/Objectives: The purpose of this literary analysis is to consider a range of problems in the life of literary characters described by Russian, English and Chinese prosaic writers. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The main provisions of literary text analysis form a methodological and theoretical basis of this research. Literary works are studied based on historical and functional principle. The comparative method helps to identify the distinctive features of the genre and stylistic creativity of I. S. Shmelev, D. Setterfield and Su Tong. Artistic merits of the analyzed works are justified by the degree of development of the concrete historical reality. Findings: The result of comparison of poetic texts published in different periods of time, which are artistically multi-leveled and evaluated differently by critics, revealed an artistic pattern of Russian, English and Chinese prose of the 20-21st centuries. The research aspect is focused primarily on the psychological identification of the characters, the writers' creative individuality and peculiarities of constructing a system of images and the plot. The study has identified the motives of these prosaic works relating to the characters' spiritual searches which determine the range of problems. Comparative analysis of the poetics of the studied texts reveals the traditions of national literatures and genre search by novelists based on the cultural constants, religious conceptions and family values. The House-Family archetype is interpreted by the writers as a ground for development of a harmonious personality. It is established that narrative strands are imbued with characters' thoughts about world order, harmony between man and nature, monologues about the sense of life, dialogues of people of different nationalities about the humanistic ideas of the century. Application/Improvements: Analytical reading of Russian, English and Chinese works in the context of the discoveries of world literature, understanding of those aspects of the writer's creative work, which demonstrate the continuity within the national literary process, enables to approach at solving the poorly-studied issues in the world prose.
Chinese Literature, Country Studies, English Novel, Literary tradition, Poetics, Russian Prose, Shmelev, Setterfield, Su Tong.
- Ilyin IA. On darkness and enlightenment. The Book of Artistic Criticism. Bunin, Remizov, Shmelev. Moscow; 1996.
- Lyubomudrov A. Spiritual Realism in Russian Expatriate Community. Zaitsev BK, Shmelev IS, Petersburg ST. 2003.
- Azadovsky KM, Bongard-Levin GM. Meeting: Balmont k, Shmelev I. Our Heritage. 2002. p. 93-116.
- Makarova L. Russia within the orthodox reality in the artistic depiction by I. S. Shmelev. Minor Genres of Prose. Moscow; 2007.
- Osminina E. Return of Ivan Shmelev. Moscow; 2000. p 173-4.
- Platonova O, Shmelev IS, Chekhov AP. The creative dialogue. Tver; 2008.
- Zhelobtsova S, Sizykh O. Russian literature of the 20th century. Yakutsk; 2014.
- Serebryakov E, Rodionov A, Rodionova O. Handbook of History of Chinese Literature. Moscow; 2005.
- Riftin B. From Myth to Novel: The Evolution of the Characterization in Chinese Literature. Moscow; 1979.
- Barashkova SN. Literature of Asia-Pacific Region. Yakutsk; 2013.
- Zhelobtsov FF. Religion of the Asia-Pacific Region Countries. Yakutsk; 2013.
- Slonim M. Modern Russion Literature – from Chekhov to the Present. New York: Oxford University Press; 1953.
- Struve G. The Double Life of Russian Literature. New York ; 1954.
- Stockum V, Zamiatine E, Literaire LM. Portraits, etudes et manifestes suivi de Cours sur la Technoque de la Prose Litteraire. 1990.
- Dinkgrafe D. Consciousness, Theatre, Literature and the Arts. Cambridge: Scholars Publishing; 2009.
- Dobrenko E, Balina M. The Cambridge Companion to Twentieth-Century Russian Literature. Cambridge University Press; 2011.
- Cornwell N. Reference Guide to Russian Literature. London: Routledge; 2013 .
- Aschenbrenner M, Schmeljow I. Leben und Schaffen des ges groben russischen Schriftstellers. Konigsberg-Berlin; 1937.
- Reinhold N. The Russian Pigeons in the Groves of Eastwood. 2016. Available from: http://lawrence.revues.org/189
- Sarsenov K. The literature curriculum in Russia: Cultural nationalism vs. the cultural turn–culture unbound. Journal of Current Cultural Research. 2010; 2:495-513. Available from: http://www.cultureunbound.ep.liu.se/v2/a29/ cu10v2a29.pdf
- Heley V. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. 2016. Available from: http://www.veronicaheley.com/thethirteenthtale. php
- Clarke M. Setterfield, Diane – The Thirteenth Tale. 2016. Available from: http://www.eurocrime.co.uk/reviews/The_ Thirteenth_Tale.html
- Setterfield D. The Thirteenth Tale. Kirkus Reviews. 2006 1, 2 Sep.
- Rea C. Age of Irreverence: A New History of Laughter in China.
- Jones AF, Hua Y, Zhicun S. The Violence of the Text: Reading. 1994.
- Wedellsborg A. Haunted fiction: Modern Chinese literature and the supernatural. International Fiction Review. 2005.
- Bakken B. The Exemplary Society: Human Improvement, Social Control and the Dangers of Modernity in China. New York: Oxford University Press; 1999.
- Haiyan W, Lun ST. Anqing Shifan Xueyuan Xuebao. 1994. p. 80–5.
- Yingzhong Z, Shiji mo de huimou [A Review at the end of the century]. Xiandai Wenxue Zazhi. 1994. p. 30–3.
- Jinfu H. Chuzou yu fanhui: Su Tong xiaoshuo jianlun [Leaving and returning: a brief discussion of Su Tong’s stories]. Zhejiang Shida Xuebao. 1994. p. 45–7.
- Li H. Contemporary Chinese Fiction by Su Tong and Yu Hua Coming of Age in Troubled Times. Leiden-Boston: Brill; 2011.
- Lu M, Zhijing X. Sailinge yu Su Tong shaonian xiaoshuo bijiao. Salute to Salinger: The comparison between Salinger’s and Su Tong’s coming-of-age stories. Baicheng Shifan Xueyuan Xuebao. 2006 Feb.
- Pospelov GN. Theory of Literature. Moscow; 2000.
- Tomaszewsky G. Theory of Literature. Poetics. Moscow; 2005.
- Khalizev B. Theory of Literature. Moscow; 2008.
- Setterfield D. The Thirteenth Tale. Atria Books Publisher; 2006.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.