Total views : 204
Implementing All-Optical New Reversible Gate using SOA-MZI Architecture
Reversible circuits have gained a lot of attention lately because of its remarkable property of dissipating lesser power as compared to irreversible circuits due to the fact that they do not lose information. Because of continuing revolution in VLSI technology transistor count and thus power dissipation has increased to such an extent that it has put a limit on packing density and performance of the circuits. To overcome these limits reversible logic has came into picture and various reversible logic gates such as Feynman gate, Fredkin gate, Toffoli gate, Peres gate etc has already been designed in optical domain. Semiconductor optical amplifier (SOA) based mach-Zehnder interferometer (MZI) plays a promising role in this field of ultra fast all-optical information processing because of its advantages like high speed, low power, easy of fabrication and fast switching time. Thus various circuits designed by these basic gates has been analysed in terms of cost parameters and it was seen that optical cost and delay of digital circuits is more than desired, as a result performance of system is rendered. Thus new gates are designed by various researchers that focus on improving cost and thus performance of the system. Studying all these modified gates and the digital circuits implemented in literature, an idea of New All-optical universal reversible gate has been proposed which will further improve the performance of digital circuits. Applications of this gate include the design of full adder, half adder, multiplexer and various other combinational circuits and also 13 standard Boolean expressions can be implemented with improved cost. Simulation of this new gate is done using VPI Photonics software.
All-Optical Communication, Reversible Gates, Mach Zehnder Interferometer, Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers.
- Moore G. The future of integrated electronics. Fairchild Semiconductor internal publication. 1964; 2.
- Landauer R. Irreversibility and heat generation in the computing process. IBM Journal of Research and Development. 1961 Jul; 5(3):183-91.
- Bennett CH. Logical reversibility of computation. IBM Journal of Logical Research and Development. 1973 Nov; 17(6):525-32.
- Toffoli T. Reversible computing. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer: International Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming. 1980 Jul 14; p. 632-44.
- Taraphdar C, Chattopadhyay T, Roy JN. Mach-Zehnder interferometer-based all-optical reversible logic gate. Optics & Laser Technology. 2010 Mar 31; 42(2):249-59.
- Kotiyal S, Thapliyal H, Ranganathan N. Mach-Zehnder interferometer based all optical reversible nor gates. 2012 IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI. IEEE, 2012 Aug 19; p. 207-12.
- Maity GK, Roy JN, Maity SP. Mach-zehnder interferometer based all-optical peres gate. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer: International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communications. 2011 Jul 22; p. 249-58.
- Kamaraj A, Marichamy P, Karthika DS, Nagalakshmi SN. Design and Implementation of Adders using Novel Reversible Gates in Quantum Cellular Automata. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(8):1–7.
- Fredkin E, Toffoli T. Conservative logic. London: Springer: Collision-based computing. 2002; p. 47-81.
- Pannu N, Prakash NR. A Power-Efficient Multiplexer using Reversible Logic. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug 19; 9(30).
- Zhang M, Zhao Y, Wang L, Wang J, Ye P. Design and analysis of all-optical XOR gate using SOA-based Mach–Zehnder interferometer. Optics Communications. 2003 Aug 1; 223(4):301-8.
- Kumar S, Singh G, Bisht A, Amphawan A. Design of D flip-flop and T flip-flop using Mach–Zehnder interferometers for high-speed communication. Applied Optics. 2015 Jul 20; 54(21):6397-405.
- Anyigor I, Eke J, Nweke F. SOA Photonic Integration on MZI Switching Structures in realizing Optical (XOR, AND, OR) Logic Gates in Optical Networks. International Journal of Innovative Science, Engineering & Technology. 2015 Feb; 2(2):1-12.
- Khanaa V, Thooyamani KP, Saravanan T. Simulation of an all optical full adder using optical switch. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jun 1; 6(6):4733-6.
- Maity GK, Maity SP, Roy JN. Design of all-optical new gate using Mach-Zehnder interferometer. IEEE, 2012 International Conference on Devices, Circuits and Systems (ICDCS). 2012 Mar 15; p. 474-78.
- Maity GK, Maity SP. Implementation of HNG using MZI. IEEE, 2012 Third International Conference on Computing Communication & Networking Technologies (ICCCNT). 2012 Jul 26; p. 1-6.
- Malav MB, Gupta S, Jain SC. A new gate for low cost design of all-optical reversible logic circuit. IEEE, 2015 International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies (ICCPCT). 2015 Mar 19; p. 1-7.
- Mandal AK, Maity GK. An all-optical new universal gate using Mach-Zehnder interferometer. IEEE, 2014 International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks (CICN). 2014 Nov 14; p. 1042-46.
- Datta K, Sengupta I. All optical reversible multiplexer design using Mach-Zehnder interferometer. IEEE, 2014 27th International Conference on VLSI Design and 2014 13th International Conference on Embedded Systems. 2014 Jan 5; p. 539-44.
- Maity GK, Chattopadhyay T, Roy JN, Maity SP. All-optical reversible multiplexer. 2009 4th International Conference on Computers and Devices for Communication (CODEC). 2009.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.