Total views : 677
Accuracy Enhancement of RSSI-based Distance Estimation by Applying Gaussian Filter
RSSI values of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacon are unreliable to use localization. To cope with this problem, we propose a new localization algorithm that enhances the accuracy of RSSI value. The proposed algorithm applies Gaussian filter to RSSI values from BLE Beacons, and then uses weight value based on filtered RSSI quality. Background/Objectives: Friis formula is used to calculate distance between a BLE beacon and BLE scanners using triangulation scheme. Finally, Gaussian filtering is applied twice to the location values for accuracy improvement. Findings: Experiments are performed in indoor environment, and experiment data is calculated by MATLAB to make graph and chart for easily comparing location result. Experiment result shows that DGF algorithm shows more accurate and reliable localization result than commonly used Kalman filter algorithm. Furthermore, DGF algorithm is very effective to calculate not only distance but also location. Improvements: DGF algorithm indicates excellent performance when we adapt weight value. The proposed system can be used to tracking the location of BLE beacon in real-time.
Bluetooth, Beacon, DGF, Localization, RSSI.
- Zhao J, Xi W, He Y, Liu Y, Li XY, Mo L, Yang Z. Localization of wireless sensor networks in the wild: Pursuit of ranging quality. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON). 2013 Feb; 21(1):311-23.
- Dnyanoba BA, Nagajayanthi B, Ramachandran P. Development of an embedded system to track the movement of bluetooth devices based on RSSI. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1-7 .
- Cheng-Xu F, Zhong L. A new node self-localization algorithm based RSSI for wireless sensor networks. IEEE 5th International Conference on Computational and Information Sciences (ICCIS); 2013 Jun. p. 1616-9.
- Wang Y, Shi S, Yang X, Ma A. Bluetooth indoor positioning using RSSI and least square estimation. IEEE ICFCC; 2013 Jan. p. 837-42
- Kim YH, Lee SH. A method for stable indoor positioning using Beacons. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26):1-5 .
- Raghavan AN, Ananthapadmanaban H, Sivamurugan MS, Ravindran B. Accurate mobile robot localization in indoor environments using bluetooth. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA); 2010 May. p. 4391-6.
- Suarez A, Elbatsh KA, Macias E. Gradient RSSI filter and predictor for wireless network algorithms and protocols. Network Protocols and Algorithms. 2010; 2(2):1-26.
- Nazemzadeh P, Fontanelli D, Macii D, Rizano T, Palopoli L. Design and performance analysis of an indoor position tracking technique for smart rollators. IEEE International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation (IPIN); 2013 Oct. p. 1-10.
- Nick T, Goetze J, John W, Stoenner G. Comparison of extended and unscented Kalman filter for localization of passive UHF RFID labels. IEEE URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium; 2011 Aug. p. 1- 4.
- Shi H. A new weighted centroid localization algorithm based on RSSI. IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation (ICIA); 2012 Jun. p. 137-41.
- Liu LJ, Ma HJ. Study on wireless sensor network boundary localization based on RSSI. IEEE International Conference on Wireless Communication and Sensor Network (WCSN); 2014 Dec. p. 232-5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.