Total views : 414
The Effects of Elderly Diabetic Patients’ Self-Care Agency on their Self-Care Behavior
Background/Objectives: To survey elderly diabetes mellitus patients' self-care agency and self-care behavior, analyze the relationship between the two, and provide information for programs to improve elderly diabetes mellitus patients' selfcare behavior. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The subjects of this study were 222 elderly diabetes mellitus patients aged over 60 who had been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus and were under treatment for the disease, and were using a senior welfare center. Data were collected from September to November, 2013. Findings: Among the patients' demographic characteristics, age, whether to have a spouse, economic status, and cohabitation type made a difference in the score of self-care agency; age, whether to have a spouse, economic status, cohabitation type, and smoking made a difference in the score of self-care behavior. Among the diabetes-related characteristics, diabetes duration and diabetes education made a difference in the score of self-care agency; diabetes duration, self-monitoring of blood glucose, and diabetes education made a difference in the score of self-care behavior. Elderly diabetes mellitus patients' self-care agency was in a significant positive correlation with their self-care behavior (r=.82, p<.001). That is, self-care behavior was higher when self-care agency was high. According to the results of hierarchical regression analysis, the explanatory power of self-care agency was 77% (p<.001), showing that self-care agency is a powerful influencing variable for self-care behavior. Applications/ Improvements: The findings of this study suggest that programs for enhancing elderly diabetes mellitus patients' selfcare agency should be developed and applied in order to improve their self-care behavior.
Diabetes, Self-Care, Self-Care Agency, Self-Care Behavior.
- Korea National Statistical Office. Population and Housing Census. Available from: http://census.go.kr/dat/ysr/ysrList.do?q_menu=5&q_sub=7. Date accessed: 04/03/2015.
- Eun Y, Song KA, Park OH, Ko SH, Park MH, Kim JS. Gerontological nursing (2nd ed), Hyunmoonsa.Press, Seoul, Korea, 2010.
- Gong SJ, Kim KH. Factors related to Meaning in Life in Elderly. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs. 2010 Aug; 22(4):438–47.
- Frankl VE. The will to meaning foundation and application of logotherapy. New American Library New York USA; 1969.
- Jung YJ, Shin KI, Choi SO. A Survey on the Meaning in Life of Elderly People. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs. 2006; 13(3):501–9.
- Kwon Y-S. Metabolic syndrome components and living habits according to fasting blood sugar measured by glucometer in workers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S8):37–45.
- Chang SO, Burbank PM. Meaning in life among the elderly. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2000; 30(2):259–71.
- Pinquart M. Creating and maintaining purpose in life in old age: A meta analysis. Aging International. 2002 Mar; 27(2):90–114.
- Choi SO, Kim SN, Shin KI, Lee JJ. Meaning in Life of a Resident Community of Normal Adults. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2002; 14(3):359–67.
- Choi MS, Son CN. The effects of purpose in life on self-esteem, problem solving attitudes and fear of negative evaluation. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2007; 12(4):951–67.
- Lee KS, Chung SJ. A correlational study among gender equality awareness, meaning in life, and depression. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2006; 15:14–21.
- Choi SO, Kim SN, Shin KI, Lee JJ, Jung YJ. Development of Elderly Meaning in Life(EMIL) Scale. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2003 Jun; 33(3):414–24.
- Cho AJ. Impact of social support and health improvement activities on perceived health of elders. Master Thesis of Ewha Women's University, Seoul; 2010.
- Choi YH, Kim SI. Development of Health Behavior Assessment Measurement of the Korean Elders. J Korean Acad Nurs. 1997; 27(3):601–13.
- Belloc NB, Breslow L. Relationship of physical health status and health practices. Preventice Medicine. 1972; 1(3):409–21.
- Kim OS. Korean Version of the revised UCLA Loneliness scale: reliability and validity test. J Korean Acad Nurs. 1997; 27(4):137–48.
- Pepla LA, Perlman D. Perspectives on loneliness: A source book of current theroy, research and therapy. An Aspen Publication, Wiley, New york, USA. 1982 May .
- Zimet GD, Dahlem W, Zimet, SG, Farley GK. The multidimensional scale of perceived social support. Journal of Personality Assessment. 1988; 52(1):30–41.
- Shin JS, Lee, YB. Research on the effect of social support on psychological wellbeing of unemployed. Korean Academy of Social Welfare. 1999; 37:241–69.
- Cloninger CR, Przybeck TR, Svrakic DM, Wetzel RD. The Temperament and Character Inventory(TCI): A Guide to its Development and Use. St. Louis, Missouri, 1994.
- Min BB, Oh HS, Lee SY. Temperament and character inventory-family manual. Seoul: Maumsarang; 2007.
- Rokach AR, Matalon BR, Safarov A. the effects of gender and marital status on loneliness of the aged. Social Behavior and Personality. 2007; 35(2):243–54.
- Lee HJ. The impact of isolation and loneliness on life satisfaction and depression in community-dwelling elderly: The mediation effect of perceived control. Journal of Community Welfare. 2012; 42:157–77.
- Oh SY. Family Function and Loneliness on Life Satisfaction in the Aged. Journal of Welfare for the Aged Institute. 2008; 42:267–90.
- Cornwell E, Waite L. Social disconnectedness, perceived isolation, and health among older adults. Journal of Health and Social Behavior. 2009 Mar; 50(1):31–48.
- Sung MH, Lim YM, Joo KS. The Relationship between Social Support and Loneliness in Elderly Women Living Alone. J of Korean Public Health Nursing. 2011; 25(1):95–106.
- Kim HG. Factors Influencing Ego Integrity of Elderly. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing. 2006; 8(1):25–36.
- Kim C, Ko MH, Kim MJ, Kim J, Kim HJ, Moon JH, Baek KS, Son HM, Oh SE, Lee YA, Choi JH. The life of elderly women living alone. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2008 Oct; 38(5):739–47.
- Depp C, Jeste D. Definitions and predictors of successful aging: A comprehensive review of a larger quantitative studies. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2006 Jan; 14 (1):6–20.
- Chung YJ. Comparison between hospitalized and normal elders on the subject of value of life. Thesis of Graduate Studies of Nursing in Busan Catholic University, Busan; 2002.
- Jung YM. Factors Influencing Meaning in Life among the Middle-aged. Korean J Adult Nurs. 2011Jun; 23(3):209–20.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.