Total views : 428
Suggestions on Tourism Policymaking for the Case of Manila in the Philippines: Reflecting the Preference on Tourism Development Activities and Urban Environment Improvements
Background/Objectives: During the second half of past decade the Philippines has experienced relatively high-paced growth in tourism sectors. Nevertheless when considering tourism’s realistic concerns, it is regrettable to say that the city of Manila can be regarded as a hotbed. So, the purpose of the study is to explore environmental issues in tourism industry, find a type of tourism development at which the city of Manila in the Philippines has to aim. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To accomplish an aim of this study, econometrics model was applied to analyze the data collected from foreign visitors to Manila. MNL (multinomial logit) model is gradually becoming more widely available for market segmentation in hospitality and tourism fields due to its high availability. Findings: As a result, it is revealed that the majority of foreign visitors want the city to be developed with eco-friendly tourism policy rather than mass tourism. Accordingly, the city of Manila should be focused on seeking appropriate management of environmental impacts, planning more projects related with environment protection, and joining in Eco-Management & Audit Scheme (EMAS) and so forth. Improvements: This study can also be improved by applying other effective models than MNL.
Development Activities, Environmental Improvements, Multinomial Logit, Tourism Policy.
- Virgilio MM. Tourism planning in archipelagic Philippines: A case review. Tourism Management Perspectives. 2013 Jul; 7:25-33.
- NSCB. Looking forward to a greater contribution of tourism to the Philippine economy. Statistically Speaking. 2012. Accessed on 01.08.12: Available from: http.www.091106_rav_fsp_tourism.asp.
- Ted P Torres. Manila Philippine tourism satellite account. Manila, Philippines: National Statistics Coordination Board. 2011.
- Henderson J. Tourism development and politics in the Philippines. Tourismos: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism. 2011 Jun; 6(2):159-73.
- Rodolfo M. Crafting Filipino leisure: tourism programmes in the Philippines. In S. Singh (ed.). London: Earthscan: Domestic tourism in Asia: Diversity and divergence. 2009.
- Choy DJL. National tourism planning in the Philippines. Tourism Management. 1991 Sep; p. 245–52.
- Trousdale WJ. Vancouver: EcoPlan International: Carrying Capacity Considerations: The Need for Managing Change in a Unique Tourism Destination (Boracay Island Philippines). 1997.
- Henderson JC. Developing and managing small islands as tourist destinations. Tourism and Hospitality Research. 2001 Sep; 3(2):120–31.
- Ong LTJ, Storey D, Minnery J. Beyond the beach: Balancing environmental and socio-cultural sustainability in Boracay, the Philippines. Tourism Geographies. 2011 Nov; 13(4):549–69.
- Wallace P. Investment climate and business opportunities in the Philippines. In Severino RC, Salazar LC (ed.). Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies: Whither the Philippines in the 21st Century? 2007.
- Elena ET. Tourism planning and management of Canada’s northern territories. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(S10):1-10.
- Anne Z, Nancy GM. Volunteer Tourism: A host community capital perspective. Annals of Tourism. 2013 Jul; 42:22-45.
- Banjo R, Doren C. Effects of formal institutions on the performance of the tourism sector in the Philippines: Tourism Management. 2013 Jul; 37:1-12.
- Monika TT, Richard BP, Patrick C. Relationships between coastal tourism and ICM sustainability in the central Visayas region of the Philippines. Ocean & Coastal Management. 2005 Dec; 48(3-6):378-92.
- Industry. Growth Rates of Gross Value Added of Tourism Industries (GVATI): Philippines, 2000-2011.
- Chitra L. Global issues and policies influencing sustainable development. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Nov; 3(11):113-14.
- Elzbieta S. Urban development versus sustainable development in Poland. Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal. 2008 Feb; 19(2):243-52.
- Yuansheng P, Hua Z, Zhaokun L, Sijia G. Rehabilitation and improvement of Guilin urban water environment: Function-oriented management. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2013 Jul; 25(7):1477–82.
- Romeo P, Elaine de G. Impact of energy efficiency policy to productive efficiency of electricity distribution industry in the Philippines. Energy Economics. 2002; 24:41–54.
- Richard SS. Impact of the ASEAN Environmental Improvement Project (ASEAN-EIP) on the adoption of waste minimization practices in the Philippines. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2004; 12(3):297–303.
- Romeo G Jr, Akira K, Reynaldo M, Hideo A, Naoko N, Duong DB. Environmental impact assessment of structural flood mitigation measures by a rapid impact assessment matrix (RIAM) technique: A case study in Metro Manila, Philippines. Science of the Total Environment. 2013 Apr; 456– 457C:137–47.
- Johannes GP, Joan AJ, Neil R, Salome PV. Integration of the informal sector into municipal solid waste management in the Philippines – What does it need? Waste Management. 2012 Nov; 32(11):2018–28.
- Joo Yu Min. Dongshin University, Korea: A study on the Influence of Urban Development by Types on the Making of Urban Image: Focused on the Case of Urban Development Project of the city of Gwangju. PhD dissertation. 2011.
- Cavaliere C. Sustainable agro ecotourism ventures for low-carbon societies. Otago, New Zealand: Paper presented at the meeting of the Recreation Values & Natural Areas Symposium. 2010.
- Hidinger LA. Measuring the impacts of ecotourism on animal populations: A case study of Tikal National Park, Guatemala. Malek-Zadeh E (Ed.). New Haven: Yale Univ. Press: The ecotourism equation: Measuring the impacts. Bulletin Series. 1996.
- Douglas N, Douglas N, Derret R. Melbourne, Australia: Wiley: Special interest tourism. 2001.
- Lea J. London: Routledge: Business & Economics: Tourism and Development in the Third World. 1988.
- Aref Fariborz, Redzuan Ma’rof. Community Leaders’ Perceptions toward Tourism Impacts and Level of Community Capacity Building in Tourism Development options. Korean Journal of Tourism Research. Journal of Sustainable Development, 2009 Nov; 2(3):1-6.
- Nefta-Eleftheria PV, Antonios DM, Athanasios SK, John DP. Natural quiet: An additional feature reflecting green tourism development in conservation areas of Greece. Tourism Management Perspectives. 2014 Mar; 11:10-17.
- Boyd S. Cultural and heritage tourism in Canada: opportunities, principles and challenges. Tourism and Hospitality Research. 2002 Feb; 3(3):211-33.
- Colton J, Harris S. Indigenous ecotourism’s role in community development: the case of the Lennox Island First Nation. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Ltd: Butler R, & Hinch T (eds.). Tourism and indigenous peoples: Issues and implications (1st ed.). 2007; p. 220-33.
- Richards G. Introduction: global trends in cultural tourism. New York: The Haworth Hospitality Press: Cultural Tourism: Global and local perspectives. 2007; p. 1-24.
- Yang L, Wall G. Ethnic Tourism: domestic tourists’ perspectives. Current Issues in Tourism. 2009 May; 12(3):235-54.
- Ahn BY, Lee BK, Shafer CS. Operationalizing sustainability in regional tourism planning: An application of the limits of acceptable change framework. Tourism Management. 2002 Jan; 23(1):1-15.
- Kathleen LA, Vogt CA. The relationship between residents’ attitudes toward tourism and tourism development options. Journal of Travel Research. 2000 Aug; 39(1):27-36.
- Train KE. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press: Discrete Choice Methods with simulation, First edition, 2003.
- Rabar DC. A multinomial logit analysis of teenage fertility and high school completion. Economics of Education Review. 1993 Jun; 12(2):153-64.
- Alebaki Maria, Iakovidou Olga. Market segmentation in wine tourism: a comparison of approaches. Tourismos: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism. 2011; 6(1):123-40.
- Lee Bob, Groves David. Seniors: Technology, Leisure, and Travel. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science. 2014 Dec; 4(14):1-21.
- Soh KS, Kim H. Market segmentation and its determinants by participation motivation of golf exhibition visitors: An application of Multinomial logit model. Journal of Tourism Science. 2007; 31(4):73-91.
- Frochot I. A benefit segmentation of tourists in rural areas: a Scottish perspective. Tourism Management. 2005 May; 26(3):335-46.
- Angelika E, Gerd R. Micro-econometric models of tourists’ destination choice. Regional Science and Urban Economics. 1997 Nov; 27(6):736-61.
- Luzar EA, Diagne CE, Henning B. Profiling the Nature-based Tourist: A Multinational Logit Approach. Journal of Travel Research. 1998; 37:48–55.
- Morley C. Experimental Destination Choice Analysis. Journal of Tourism Research. 1994 Oct; 33(2):8-14.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.