Total views : 430
A Study on Applying a 3D Printer to Healthcare; Dentistry Area
Background/Objectives: The purpose of this paper is presents various areas where 3D printer can be utilized. It is examine the range of utilizing 3D printer in various areas, and help understand 3D printer through presenting areas where 3D printer can be utilized in dentistry among healthcare areas in particular. Methods/Statistical Analysis: With regard to research method, data were searched for on-line and off-line. Image and papers relating to 3D were searched for and manufacturers were surveyed in Yahoo UK on-line. And cases of use were investigated through calling professionals who actually utilized 3D printer in dental clinic off-line. On the basis of details of on-line and off-line findings, the areas where 3D printers are currently utilized are summarized. Findings: The original purpose of 3D printer was to make a prototype before releasing a product. However, recently, areas where it has been utilized are extended to industry, healthcare and real life areas. In the industry area, a more precise and elaborate process is enabled by using the advantage of 3D printer that stacks one layer on top of another. These characteristics show excellent efficiency that reduces costs and efforts required in product development as the time taken to develop a product is decreased by 5~10 times in comparison with conventional method. In the health care area, 3D prosthesis can be made like that. So, it is possible to make a prosthesis that is more similar to human body part. Cases of applying a 3D printer to health care include prosthetic finger, dental surgery, bioartificial liver, skull, bronchial tube, paranasal sinus cancer surgery, conjoined twins surgery, and model for education. Improvements: In health care areas, an artificial bone, joint or tooth can be manufactured with a structure that best fits a patient's body if a printing technology is utilized by using a 3D printer. So, it is forecasted that dental treatment using this will develop and application scope will become wider in the future.
Applying, Clear Aligner, 3D, Health Care, Printer.
- Kim SC. Fitness of dental restorations fabricated by 3D printing and CAD/CAM techniques. Dankook University; 2015.
- Lee K-Y, Cho J-W, Chang N-Y, Chae J-M, Kang K-H, Kim S-C, Cho J-H. Accuracy of three-dimensional printing for manufacturing replica teeth. Korean J Orthod. 2015 Sep; 45(5):217–25.
- Kheirikhah MM, Khodayari A, Tatlari M. Design and construction of an artificial finger based on SMA actuators. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Jan; 6(1):1-8.
- Fleming PS, Marinho V, Johal A. Orthodontic measurements on digital study models compared with plaster models: A systematic review. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2011 Feb; 14(1):1-16.
- Fayyaz Ahamed S, Apros Kanna AS, Vijaya Kumar RK. 3D-printed orthodontic auxiliaries. J Clin Orthod. 2015 May; 49(5):337-4.
- Hoang LN, Thompson GA, Cho SH. Die spacer thickness reproduction for central incisor crown fabrication with combined computer-aided design and 3D printing technology: An in vitro study. J Prosthet Dent. 2015 May; 113(5):398-404.
- Bharath Reddy R, Sai Gopi Nihal S, Taneja AS, Kalyana Rama JS. Comparative study on the lateral load resistance of multi-storied structure with bracing systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(36):1-9.
- Miresmaeili A, Sajedi A, Moghimbeigi A, Farhadian. Three-dimensional analysis of the distal movement of maxillary 1st molars in patients fitted with mini-implant-aided transpalatal arches. Korean J Orthod. 2015 Sep; 45(5):236-44.
- Yahoo UK. 2016. Available from: uk.yahoo.com. http://drandradeneto.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/clear-aligner.png
- Byun C, Kim C, Cho S, Baek SH, Kim G, Kim SG, Kim SY. endodontic treatment of an anomalous anterior tooth with the aid of a 3-dimensional printed physical tooth model. J Endod. 2015 Jun; 41(6):961-5 .
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.