Total views : 704
A Study on Sexual Behavior, Sexual Knowledge, and Sexual Assertiveness among Korean College Students
Background/Objectives: This study aims to provide basic data for prevention of thoughtless sexual behaviors and development of a feeling of responsibility regarding sexual conduct among college students.Methods/Statistical Analysis: The research was carried out among the college students in dating with opposite sex and lived in Seoul, Kyunggi-do, and Chungnam province in Korea. The data collected were analyzed by means, standard deviations, Pearson’s correlation using SPSS 18.0. Findings: The results of this study were as follows: First, the level of sexual behavior is 2.49±0.56 point (ranging 1–4) and the level of sexual knowledge is 1.37± 0.17 point (ranging1–2). The first and recent level of sexual assertiveness are 3.36±0.54 and 3.37±0.45 respectively (ranging 1–5). The level of sexual communication is the highest at the sexual communication with friend. Second, the higher scores on sexual behavior are related to lower sexual knowledge, higher scores on sexual assertiveness, and higher scores on sexual communication with friend. The sexual education program and counseling concerned with the needs of college students are necessary for a healthy youth and society. Application/Improvements: It is recommended that community health nurses and midwifes should be aware of the importance of sexual assertiveness and communication with friends on sexual matter.
College Students, Korea, Sexual Assertiveness, Sexual Behavior, Sexual Knowledge.
- World Health Organization (WHO). Health Topic [Internet]. [Cited 2015 May 12]. Available from: http://www.who.int/topics/sexual_health/en/.
- Wikipedia. Erikson's stages of psychosocial development [Internet]. [Cited 2015 Oct 26]. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erikson's_stages_of_psychosocial_development.
- Bingham CR, Crokett LJ. Longitudinal adjustment patterns of boys and girls experiencing early, middle, and late intercourse. Developmental Psychology. 1996; 32(4):647–58.
- Lee KE. A study on heterosexual relationship satisfaction, the sexual behavior-attitude concordance and conflict management strategy in college student. Unpublished master’s thesis, Seoul Women’s University, Seoul; 2007.
- Yazici S, Dolgun G, Zengin N, Bayram GO. The determination of university students’ knowledge, attitudes and behaviors on the matter of sexual health. Sexuality and Disability. 2012; (30):67–75.
- Kang JH. The relationship among types of dating, emotional experience, conflict resolving strategies and romantic relationship satisfaction in college students. Unpublished master’s thesis, Myongji University, Seoul; 2011.
- The Chosonilbo Attitudes to ‘living in Sin’ are changing [Internet]. [Cited 2010 October 28]. Available from: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/10/28/2010102801038.html.
- Korean Statistical Information Service (KOSIS). The attitude with sex [Internet]. [Cited 2015 May 13]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=154&tblId=DT_MOGE_1540002216&vw;_cd=&list;_id=&scrId;=&seqNo;=&lang_mode=ko&obj;_var_id=&itm;_id=&conn_path=K1&path;=.
- Foneo’ blog. The sex opinion report of college students in 2014 [Internet]. [Cited 2015 October 26]. Available from: http://blog.joins.com/media/folderlistslide.asp?uid=foneo&folder=2&list_id=13415891.
- Hur MH, Ahn AY, Kwak EA, Kim KM, Park JY, Lee JIR. A study on sexual behavior, and correlation between knowledge of contraception and attitude of contraception among university students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2007; 37(3):267–75.
- Morokoff PJ, Quina K, Harlow LL, Whitmire L, Grimley DM, Gibson PR, and Burkholder GJ. Sexual assertiveness scale for women: Development and validation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1997; 73(4):790–804.
- Lee SK. Relationship between the level of sexual contacts and self-esteem, self-assertiveness of teenage girls who have or had boyfriends. Unpublished master’s thesis, Yonsei University, Korea; 2000.
- Menard AD, Offman A. The interrelationships between sexual self-esteem, sexual assertiveness and sexual satisfaction. The Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality. 2009; 18(1–2):35–45.
- Lee YM. The sexual knowledge, attitude and behavior experience of the middle school students. Unpublished master’s thesis, Kosin University, Korea; 2000.
- Choi MS, Ha NS. A study on knowledge, attitude, and experience in sex and sexual autonomy of college students. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2004; 10(4):318–30.
- Choi MH. Factors influencing sexual assertiveness among women college students. Unpublished master’s thesis, Yonsei University, Korea. 2005.
- Hutchinson, MK, Cooney TM. Patterns of parent-teen sexual risk communication: Implications for intervention. Family Relations. 1998; 47:185–94.
- Cho SH. A study on sexual behavior of university students who experience dating. Unpublished doctoral thesis, Myongji University, Seoul; 2014.
- The Chosonilbo Premarital sex ‘Hangs in the balance’ [Internet]. [Cited 2007 January 22]. Available from: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2007/06/22/2007062261028.html.
- The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Results of Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey (KYRBWS) 2006-2007 [Internet]. [Cited 2008 November 07]. Available from: http://www.cdc.go.kr /CDC/info/CdcKrInfo0301.jsp?menuIds=HOME001-MNU1132-MNU1138-MNU0037-MNU1380&cid=12193.
- Kim MO. Factors that influencing sexual behavior in nursing students. The Korea Academia Industrial Cooperation Society. 2013;14(8):3876–86.
- Shin MA, Choi JH. Unmarried college students’ knowledge of sex and cognition of prenatal education. Korean Journal of Human Ecology. 2010; 19(4):613–24.
- Shin KR, Park HJ, Hong CM. Survey of the reproductive health for undergraduate students. Unpublished raw data; 2008.
- The Chosonilbo Half of Male Students Commit Sexual Harrassment [Internet]. [Cited 2002]. Available from: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2002/08/04/2002080461014.html.
- Park SM. The effects of rape myth and date violence tolerance on the sexual assertiveness of college women. Konyang University, Korea; 2005.
- Baek SM. The relationship between parent-child communication and child’s multiple intelligences. Unpublished master’s thesis, Seoul National University of Education, Korea; 2003.
- Kim YS. The importance of the communication of sex with friends: the communication, the Knowledge and the attitude of sex relationship. Unpublished master’s thesis, Korea University, Seoul; 2007.
- Lee YJ. A study on sexuality and sex education of the youth. Journal of Gender Equality Studies. 2000; 4:7–40.
- Kim JY. The analysis of sexual attitude and behavior of the university students by communication style. Unpublished master’s thesis, Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul; 2005.
- Ghorbanshiroudi S, Khalatbari J, Salehi M, Bahari S, Keikhayfarzaneh MM. The relationship between emotional intelligence and life satisfaction and determining their communication skill test effectiveness. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Nov; 4(11):1560–4.
- Hwang YK, Lee CS. Structural relationship between personal image, organization communication, organization effectiveness and psychological capital of office employees. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 Oct; 8(25):1–8. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i25/80002.
- Park JH. A study of the effects on sexual behavior among couples by communication characteristic between parents-late adolescent children, sexual attitude, and sexual communication among university student couples. Unpublished master’s thesis, Sungshin Women’s University, Seoul; 2004.
- Min S, Yun S. A study on the differences between spiritual wellbeing and sexual attitude considering the type of university. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S1):54–8. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8iS1/57582.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.