Total views : 262
Fuzzy based Hierachical Unequal Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks
Objectives: Sensor nodes in Wireless Sensor Networks are battery powered and non rechargeable, and hence in most of the real time applications energy consumption is a major problem. The lifetime of the network also depends upon the energy consumption model which may affect the entire performance of the networks. The main aim of the proposed Hierarchical Unequal Clustering Fuzzy Algorithm (HUCFA) is to reduce the energy consumption of over all networks. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Clustering is an important technique used for energy efficient data communication in WSN. Fuzzy logic is applied in the proposed algorithm to choose the cluster head, which enhances the energy efficiency. To choose a better cluster head, the characteristics of the nodes are taken as input for fuzzy inference system. Based on the fuzzy rules, best nodes are selected as cluster heads. Fuzzy Logic Toolbox in Matlab R2010a is utilized for the simulation. Findings: Total Energy Consumption of the network (TEC) in HUCFA is 7.05% less when compared to LEACH. Standard deviation of energy distribution among all the clusters in the HUCFA is 10.46% less than that of LEACH protocol and 0.79% less than Hierarchical Unequal Clustering Algorithm. Application/Improvements: The proposed HUCFA using Fuzzy Logic is found to be better and more energy efficient for the applications involving low powered sensor nodes which is proved through simulation results.
Clustering, Energy Efficieny, Fuzzy, Sensor.
- Liu T, Li Q, Liang P. An energy-balancing clustering approach for gradient-based routing in wireless sensor networks. Journal of Computer Communications. 2012; 35(17):2150–61.
- Abbasi AA, Mohamed F, Younis Y. A survey on clustering algorithms for wireless sensor networks. Computer Communications. 2007; 30(14-15):2826-41.
- Akyildiz IF, Su W, Sankarasubramaniam Y, Cayirci E. Wireless sensor networks: A survey. Journal of Computer Networks. 2002; 38(4):393-422.
- Hac A. Wireless Sensor Networks Designs. John Wiley and Sons Ltd; 2004. p. 1-410.
- Younis O, Fahmy S. HEED: A hybrid, energy-efficient, distributed clustering approach for Ad Hoc Sensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Mob Computing. 2004; 3(4):660–9.
- Li B, Zhang X. Research and improvement of LEACH protocol for wireless sensor network. International Conference on Information Engineering (ICIE); Hangzhou. 2012. p. 251-4.
- Kim J, Park S, Han Y, Chung T. CHEF: Cluster head election mechanism using fuzzy logic in wireless sensor networks. 10th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology; Ganawon–DO. 2008. p. 654–9.
- Baranidharan B, Akilandeswari N, Santhi B. EECDC: Energy efficient coverage aware data collection in wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal o f Science and Technology. 2013; 6 (7):1-5.
- Li CF, Ye M, Chen GH, Wu J. An energy-efficient unequal clustering mechanism for Wireless sensor network. IEEE International Conference on Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems Conference; Washington DC. 2005. p. 596–640.
- Bagci H, Yazici A. An energy aware fuzzy unequal clustering algorithm for wireless sensor networks. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems; Barcelona. 2010. p. 1-10.
- Mao S, Zhao C, Zhou Z, Ye Y. An improved fuzzy unequal clustering algorithm for wireless sensor network. Mobile Network Applications. 2013; 18(2):206-14.
- Gupta I, Riordan D, Sampalli S. Cluster-head election using fuzzy logic for wireless sensor networks. Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Communication Networks and Services Research Conference; 2005. p. 255–60.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.