Total views : 189
Partial Discharge Propagation Analysis using Finite Difference Time Domain Technique
Objectives: To analyze the effect of geometry on Partial Discharge (PD) wave propagation. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) method has been implemented for simulation of Partial Discharge wave propagation in prototype transformer like geometry. FDTD method provides a solution for a time as well as space regions. In this technique electric field and magnetic field values are calculated in a leapfrog manner. In this paper, Transverse Magnetic (TM) mode has been considered for two-dimension simulation. Findings: This work is an effort to understand effects of obstacles on partial discharge wave propagation. In this paper signal propagation in circular, octagonal, hexagonal and point shaped obstacles has been analyzed. Simulation work extended with aluminium ceramic, iron and mica material to understand the effect of the material on signal propagation. Application/Improvements: Improvisation is possible in the performance of PD detection setup after analyzing and comparing effects of obstacles shape and material on PD signal wave propagation.
FDTD, Partial Discharge, Propagation.
- International Electrotechnical Commission, High voltage test techniques - Partial discharge measurements. IEC 60270:2000; 3rd Edition.
- Mehta HD, Pater R. Optimal design of transformer using tournament selection based elitist genetic algorithms. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(12):1–9.
- Zargari BT. Application of optical fiber sensor for partial discharge detection in high-voltage power equipment.IEEE annual Report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, San Francisco; 1996. p. 541–4.
- Boggs SA. Partial discharge: Overview and signal generation. IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine; 1990. p. 33–9.
- Haema J, Phadungthin R. Power transformer condition evaluation by the analysis of DGA methods. Power and Energy Engineering Conference. Asia-Pacific; 2012.
- Dhole P, Sinha T, Nayak S, Kundu P, Kishore NK. Analysis of propagation paths of partial discharge acoustic emission signals. Fifteenth National Power Systems Conference, IIT Bombay; 2008.
- Meijer S, Agoris PD, Smit JJ. UHF PD sensitivity check on power transformers. Proceedings of the International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering (ISH), Beijing; 2005.
- Judd M, Cleary G, Bennoch C. Applying UHF partial discharge detection to power transformers. IEEE Power Engineering Review; 2002 Aug. p. 57–9.
- Yee KS. Numerical solution of initial boundary value problem involving Maxwell’s equation in isotropic media. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation. 1966 May; Ap-14(3):302–7.
- Taflove A, Hagness S. Computational electrodynamics: The finite difference time domain method. Artech House; 2000.
- Sadiku M. Numerical techniques in electromagnetics. Berkeley: CRC Press; 2001.
- Kunz K, Luebbers R. The finite difference time domain method for electromagnetics. CRC Press; 1993.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.