Total views : 534
Effect of Project Management Practices on Project Success in Make-to-Order Manufacturing Organizations
Background/Objectives: Engineering organizations operating on Make-to-Order projects have a specific work environment where an integration of manufacturing practices with the project management practices is needed for project success. The aim of this research is to analyse the Project Management Practices. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Engineering organizations operating on Make-to-Order projects have a specific work environment where an integration of manufacturing practices with the project management practices is needed for project success. The Project Management practices evaluated are Project Scope Management, Project HR Management, Project Communications Management, Project Stakeholder Management and Project Planning. The effect of these Project Management Practices is analysed on Project Success. Various statistical tools were employed to validate the hypotheses. Findings: The aim of this research is to analyse the Project Management Practices adopted by engineering organizations operating on Make-to-Order projects both for public sector and private sector manufacturing organizations of Pakistan. The proposed results provide realistic analysis and are quite different from previous research works. Using the suggested techniques, the performance of the organization can be improved. The analyses and results point out that Project Success is directly correlated with Project Management Practices in Make-to-Order manufacturing organizations. The Private sector and Public sector organizations primarily implement the Project Management Practices to the same extent and there is no significant difference in the practices being put into practice by them. Application/Improvements: The suggested work is more suitable in small and large scale organization.
Make-to-Order Manufacturing, Project Management Practices, Project Success.
- Taghizadeh H, Zeinalzadeh A. Application of project management approaches for planning in make-to-order production. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research. 2011; 10(5):581–91.
- Lieskovsky R. Differences between manufacturing strategies. International Journal of Science Commerce and Humanities. 2014; 2(4):285–394.
- El-Mehalawi M. Scheduling and controls of project manufacturing. 8th Annual PMI College of Scheduling Conference; San Francisco. 2011.
- Kerzner H. Project management best practices. 2nd ed; 2010.
- Ilies I, Crisan E, Muresan I. Best practices in project management. Review of International Comparative Management. 2010; 11(1):1–3.
- Iria FS, Novaskia O, Souza FJ. Make-to-order machining companies: Applying project management to production planning. Product: Management and Development. 2009; 7(1):47–54.
- Forcada MN. Life cycle document management system for construction; 2009.
- Yang LR. Key practices, manufacturing capability and attainment of manufacturing goals: The perspective of project/engineer-to-order manufacturing. International Journal of Project Management. 2013; 31(1):109–25.
- Blevins P. Project-oriented manufacturing: How to resolve the critical business issues that impact organizational competitiveness. APICS International Conference Proceedings on the Educational Society for Resource Management; Alexandria, VA. 1999.
- Fox S, Jokinen T, Lindfors N, Ylen J. Formulation of robust strategies for project manufacturing business. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. 2009; 2(2):217–37.
- Pinto R, Dominguez C. Characterization of the practice of project management in 30 Portuguese metalworking companies. International Conference on Health and Social Care Information Systems and Technologies. 2012; 5(1):83–92.
- Georgieva S, Allan G. Best practices in project management through a grounded theory lens. The Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods. 2008; 6(1):43–52.
- White D, Fortune J. Current practice in project management – An empirical study. International Journal of Project Management. 2002; 20(1):1–11.
- Cooke-Davies T. The real success factors in projects. International Journal of Project Management. 2002; 6(3):164–70.
- Loo R. Working towards best practices in project management: A Canadian study. International Journal of Project Management. 2002; 20(1):93–8.
- Clarke A. A practical use of key success factors to improve the effectiveness of project management. International Journal of Project Management. 1999; 17(3):139–45.
- Kerzner H. In search of excellence in project management. J Systems Manage. 1987; 38(2):30–40.
- Project management institute, a guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK guide). Newtown Square, Pa: Project Management Institute; 2013.
- International Project Management Association. Association of Project Management Body of Knowledge; 2006.
- Shenhar AJ, et al. Refining the search for project success factors: A multivariate, typological approach. R&D Management, Oxford. 2002; 32(2):111–27.
- Jugdev K, Muller R. A retrospective look at our evolving understanding of project success. Project Management Journal. 2005; 36(4):19–31.
- De Wit A. Measurement of project success. International Journal of Project Management. 1998; 6(3):164–70.
- Munns A, Bjeirmi B. The role of project management in achieving project success. International Journal of Project Management. 1996; 14(1):81–7.
- Bryde DJ. Methods for managing different perspectives of project success. British Journal of Management. 2005; 16(3):119–31.
- Frese R, Sauter V. Project success and failure: what is success, what is failure, and how can you improve your odds for success. University of Missouri; 2003.
- Sauer C. Why information system fail: A case study approach. Oxford, UK: Alfred Waller Ltd; 1993.
- Field AP. Discovering statistics using SPSS. 3rd ed. Los Angeles [ie Thousand Oaks, Calif]: SAGE Publications; 2009. p. 143.
- Dancey C, Reidy J. Statistics without Maths for Psychology: Using SPSS for Windows. London: Prentice Hall; 2004.
- Jagadish D, et al. LMSDS: Learning Management System for Deaf Students in collaborative learning environment. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(16):1–4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.