Total views : 564
Performance Improvement in Lifetime and Throughput of LEACH Protocol
Background/Objectives: Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs) are proving themselves as vital part of technology advancements. A WSN comprises of multiple sensor nodes and a base station as a sink node (i.e., for data communication). We propose a modified algorithm to improve the performance and life time. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Sensor nodes are battery powered and placed over remote locations to analyze data. Therefore, the usage of battery affects the whole network lifetime. Communication methods between nodes and base station are based on various protocols. Among all protocols, clustering protocols are considered the best protocol so far (lifetime and throughput performance). Lifetime and throughput are crucial parameters of a network. Findings: In this paper, the critical parameters of a WSN protocol Low Energy Adaptive Clustering Hierarchal (LEACH) are improved using the proposed algorithm. Simulation results of the proposed scheme for the network lifetime and throughput are compared with original LEACH protocol. We achieve better performance as compared to the conventional technique with less computational complexity and better lifetime. Application/Improvements: Further improvement can be achieved if use some hybrid algorithm.
Cluster Head (CH), Low Energy Adaptive Clustering Hierarchal (LEACH), Wireless Sensor Network (WSN), Threshold.
- Estrin D, Govindan R, Heidemann J, Kumar S. Next century challenges: Scalable Coordination in Wireless Networks. In Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MOBICOM); 1999. p. 263–70.
- Jiang M, Li J, Tay YC. Cluster based routing protocol. internet draft; 1999.
- Arboleda LMC, Nasser N. Comparison of clustering algorithms and protocols for wireless sensor networks. Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer engineering; 2006 May. p. 17–92.
- Enrique JD-M, Liu M. Analysis of Energy Consumption and Lifetime of Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks. Proc of IEEE Globecom; Taipei, Taiwan. 2002. p. 21–5.
- Rui-Hua Z, Zhi-Ping J, Dong-Feng Y. Lifetime analysis in heterogeneous wireless sensor networks. Jilin Daxue Xuebao. 2008; 38(5):1136–40.
- Smaragdakis G, Matta I, Bestavros A. SEP: A stable election protocol for clustered heterogeneous wireless sensor networks. Workshop on SANPA; 2004. p. 251–61.
- Heinzelman W, Chandrakasan A, Balakrishnan H. Energy-efficient communication protocols for wireless microsensor networks. In Proceedings of Hawaiian International Conference on Systems Science; 2000 Jan.
- Aslam M, Javaid N, Rahim A, Nazir U, Bibi A, Khan Z.A. Survey of extended LEACH-based clustering routing protocols for wireless sensor networks. 5th International Symposium on Advances of High Performance Computing and Networking (AHPCN-2012); Liverpool UK. 2012.
- Xu J, Jin N, Lou X, Peng T, Zhou Q, Chen Y. Improvement of LEACH protocol for WSN. 9th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD); Sichuan. 2012 May 29-31. p. 2174–7.
- Ma X, Yu X. Improvement on LEACH protocol of wireless sensor network. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Computer, Communication, Control and Automation (ISCCCA-13); 2013. 338–41.
- Ahmed S, Sandhu MM, Amjad N, Haider A, Akbar M, Ahmad A, Khan ZA, Qasim U, Javaid N. iMOD LEACH: Improved MODified LEACH protocol for wireless sensor networks. Cosmats. 2013; 5(4):60–120.
- Siddiqui H, Qureshi R, Aijaz S. Energy consumption and network performance analysis of WSN using LEACH protocol. BUJICT Journal. 2015 Dec; 7(1): 19–26.
- Barai LY, Gaikwad MA, Boke AK. A LEACH protocol for wireless sensor network: A review. International Journal of Computer Application. 2014; 7(1):28–31.
- Fu C, Jiang Z, Wei W, Wei A. An energy balanced algorithm of LEACH protocol in WSN. IJCS. 2013 Jan; 10(1):354–9.
- Mumtaz M, Mumtaz A, Khan MN. Energy aware routing using improved LEACH protocol. Universal Journal of Communications and Network. 2015; 3(3):64–7.
- Khan MN, Sheikh NM. Design and development of onboard phase modem for S-band transponder. Journal of New Horizons in Science and Technology. 2012 Mar; 1(1):06–11.
- Mumtaz M, Mumtaz A, Khan MN. Energy aware routing using improved leach protocol. Universal Journal of Communications and Network. 2015; 3(3):64–7.
- Arvind R, Raj R, Raj R, Prakash N. Industrial automation using wireless sensor networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(8):1–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.