Total views : 291
Experimental Investigation on Solidification Behaviour of Water Base Nanofluid PCM for Building Cooling Applications
The objective of the present work is to explore the solidification behaviour of Nanoparticle Enhanced Phase Change Material (NFPCM) for various cooling application at various experimental conditions. The NFPCM was prepared by dispersing the graphene nanoplatelets at various concentrations of 0.2 wt. %, 0.4 wt. % and 0.6 wt. % in DI water as the base PCM. The surfactant used was sodium dodecyl benzene sulphate (SDBS) and thermal conductivity of prepared NFPCM was measured at different surrounding bath temperature. The experimental results showed that 9.5 % enhancement in thermal conductivity with addition of 0.6 wt. % of graphene nanoplatelets when compared with base PCM, due to increase in surface area and high thermal conductivity of graphene nanoplatelets. Further experimental have been carried out in order to find out the solidification behaviour of the NFPCM. It was observed that the existence of GNPs decreases the subcooling appreciably and the reduction in solidification time was achieved 18 % and 24 % of NFPCM with 0.6 wt. % of GNP for the bath temperature of -9 ºC and -12 ºC respectively.
GNPs, NFPCM, Subcooling, Solidification, Thermal Conductivity.
- Cheralathan M, Velraj R, Renganarayanan S. Performance analysis on industrial refrigeration system integrated with encapsulated PCM based cool thermal energy storage system. Int J Energ Res. 2007; 31(14):1398–413.
- Marimon MA, Arias J, Lundqvist P, Bruno JC, Coronas A. Integration of trigeneration in an indirect cascade refrigeration system in supermarkets. Energ Buildings. 2011; 43:1427–34.
- Mostafavinia N, Eghvay S et al. Numerical Analysis of Melting of Nano-Enhanced Phase Change Material (NEPCM) in a Cavity with Different Positions of Two Heat Source-Sink Pairs. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; (8):49–6.
- Sun X, Zhang Q, Medina MA, Liu Y, Liao S et al. A study on the use of phase change materials in combination with a natural cold source for space cooling in telecommunications base stations in China. Appl Energy. 2014; 117:95–103.
- Sehar T, Murugaiyan V et al. Solidification and Stabilization of Chromium Bearing Waste. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(20).
- Sharma D, Pandey KM. Numerical Investigation of Heat Transfer Characteristics in Triangular Channel in Light Water Nuclear Reactor by using CuO-Water based Nanofluids. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(16).
- Py X, Olives R, Mauran S. Paraffin/porous graphite matrix composite as a high and constant power thermal storage material. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2001; 44(14):2727‒37.
- Kumaresan V, Chandrasekaran P, Nanda M. Role of PCM based nanofluids for energy efficient cool thermal storage system. International Journal of Refrigeration. 2013; 36.
- Lee S, Choi SUS. Application of metallic nanoparticle suspensions in advanced cooling systems. International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Atlanta, USA. 1996.
- Hong K, Hong TK, Yang HS. Thermal conductivity of Fe nanoﬂuids depending on the cluster size of nanoparticles. Applied Physics Letters. 2006; 88(3):31901.
- Hwang Y, Lee JK, Jung YM, Cheong SI, Lee CG, Ku BC, Jang SP. Stability and thermal conductivity characteristics of nanoﬂuids. Thermochimica Acta. 2007; 455(1-2):70‒4.
- Hwang Y, Park HS, Lee JK, Jung WH. Thermal conductivity and lubrication characteristics of nanofluids. Current Applied Physics. 2006; 6S1(1):e67‒e71.
- Lee S, Choi SUS, Li S, Eastman JA. Measuring thermal conductivity of ﬂuids containing oxide nanoparticles. Journal of Heat Transfer. 1999; 121(2):280‒9.
- Li CH, Peterson GP. Experimental investigation of temperature and volume fraction variations on the effective thermal conductivity of nanoparticle suspensions (nanoﬂuids). Journal of Applied Physics. 2006; 99(8):084314.
- Sari A, Karaipekli A. Thermal conductivity and latent heat thermal energy storage characteristics of parafﬁn/expanded graphite composite as phase change material. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2007; 27(8‒9):1271‒7.
- Kreith F. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers, ASHRAE Handbook: Fundamentals, Atlanta, GA, 1999.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.