Total views : 191
Formal Model and Implementation of NSSA
Objectives: This paper proposes a formal model for network security situational awareness which supplements most of the gaps faced in traditional approaches of network security and provides formal representation and functional prototype of National Social Security Authority (NSSA). Methods/Statistical Analysis: Semantic Web based approach and Resource Description Format (RDF) is used for implementation of the formal model. Besides, a novel capability to increment knowledge base of the system has been devised so that the system may adapt to dynamic network structure as per perception of network administrator. Secondly the ability to perceive a particular situation in a specific manner is to be incorporated in the system by network administrator. This capability empowers the administrator to secure network infrastructure in own fashion in a specific context instead of using a generalized security policy. Findings: We have conducted a number of experiments to measure the performance of our proposed framework on a software simulated environment. We have quantified the performance overheads of our proposed framework for measuring the inference time and response time. All the experimental results have shown that our framework has satisfactory response as far as the performance is concerned and for the better performance, more powerful machines can be used. Application/ Improvement: This approach provides a non database semantic approach which can be used to semantically correlate information, thus providing an affective mental model to deal with complex network situations.
Network Security Status - National Social Security Authority (NSSA), Ontology, Semantic Web, Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL).
- Kumar Ankit, Jayaram Rekha,“Biometrics as a Cryptographic Method for Network Security. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jun; 9(22). DOI: 10.17485/ijst /2016/v9i22/95288
- Tadda GP, Salerno JS. Overview of Cyber Situation Awareness. Cyber Situational Awareness. 2010 Apr; 46(1):15-35.
- Bass T. A glimpse into the future of ID, login Special Issue Intrusion Detection, USENIX Assoc Mag. 1999.
- Wang J, Qin ZG, Ye L. Research on prediction technique of network situation awareness. In: Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Cybernetics and Intelligent Systems, Chengdu, 2008, p. 570-74.
- Zhang F, Geng I, Qin Z, Zhang I. Using data fusion for awareness of intrusion in large-scale network. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications, Circuits and Systems, ICCCAS 2008, Fujian, 2008 May, p. 519-23 .
- Shifflet J. A technique independent fusion model for network intrusion detection. In: Proceedings of Midstates Conference on Undergraduate Research in Computer Science and Mathematics 2005, 3(1), p. 13-19.
- Mixia L, Qiuyu Z, Hong Z, Dongmei Y. Network security situation assessment based on data fusion. In: First IEEE International Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, WKDD 2008. Adelaide, SA, 2008 Jan, p. 542-45.
- Yong Z, Xiaobin T, Hongsheng X. A novel approach to network security situation awareness based on multi-perspective analysis. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Security, Harbin, China, 2007 Dec, p. 768-72.
- Bass, T. Multisensor Data Fusion for Next Generation Distributed Intrusion Detection Systems. Irish National Symposium, 1999, p. 1-6.
- Lambert, DA. Situations for Situation Awareness. In: Proceedings of International Conference Fusion, 2001, p. 1-7.
- Guarino, N. Formal Ontology in Information Systems. Proceedings of International Conference FOIS'98, 1998, 46, p. 3-15.
- Undercoffer J, Joshi A, Pinkston J. Modeling computer attacks: An ontology for intrusion detection. Springer LNCS Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection, 2003, p. 113-35.
- Gruber TR. A Translation Approach to Portable Ontology Specifications. Technical Report Knowledge Acquisition. 1993; 5(2):199-220.
- Vergara JE, Vázquez E, Martin A, Dubus S, Lepareux MN. Use of Ontologies for the Definition of Alerts and Policies in a Network Security Platform. Journal of Networks. 2009; 4(8):720-33.
- Kokar MM, Matheus CJ, Baclawski K.Ontology-based Situation Awareness. Springer International Journal on Information Fusion. 2009; 10(1):83-98.
- Wang J, Guo MM, Camargo J. An Ontological Approach to Computer System Security. Information Security Journal: A Global Perspective. 2010; 19(2):61-73.
- Gao JB, Zhang BW, Chen XH, Luo Z. Ontology-Based Model of Network and Computer Attacks for Security Assessment. Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University Science. 2013; 18:554-62.
- Viniba V. A Hybrid Layered Approach for Ontology Matching. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(17). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i17/62219
- Karthikeyan K, Karthikeyani V. Ontology Based Concept Hierarchy Extraction of Web Data. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Mar; 8(6). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/ v8i6/61070
- Bhandari P, Singh M. Semantic Web Based Technique for Network Security Situation Awareness Status Prediction. 2014, 14, p. 1-7.
- Heerden VR, Leenen L, Irwin B. Automated classification of computer network attacks. In: IEEE International Conference on Adaptive Science and Technology (ICAST), Pretoria, 2013 Nov 25, p. 1-7.
- Azni AH, Saudi MM, Azman A, Tamil EM, Idris MY. An efficient network security system through an ontology approach. In: IEEE International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, IIT, Al Ain, 2008 Dec, p. 267-71.
- Guarino N. Formal ontology in information systems. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference (FOIS'98), Trento, Italy. IOS Press 1998, p. 3-15.
- Raskin V, Hempelmann CF, Triezenberg KE, Nirenburg S. Ontology in information security: A Useful Theoretical Foundation And Methodological Tool. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on New security paradigms ACM, 2001 Sep, p. 53-59.
- Gruber TR. Toward principles for the design of ontologies used for knowledge sharing? International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. 1995 Nov 30; 43(5):907-28.
- Smith MK, McGuinness D, Volz R, Welty C. Web ontology language (OWL), Guide version 1.0. W3C Working Draft. 2002.
- Zhang W, Hansen KM. An OWL/SWRL Based Diagnosis Approach in a Pervasive Middleware. In: SEKE, 2008 Jul, p. 893-98.
- Internet Stats. Website: Internet World Stats- www.internetworldstats.com. Downloaded in August 2015.
- Elenius D, Riehemann S. SWRL-IQ User Manual, 2012, p. 1-33.
- Salahi A, Ansarinia M. Predicting Network Attacks Using Ontology-Driven Inference. International Journal of Information and Communication Technology. 2013; 4(1):1-9.
- Lu A, Li J, Yang L. A New Method of Data Preprocessing for Network Security Situational Awareness. In: 2nd International Workshop on Database Technology and Applications (DBTA), Wuhan, 2010, p. 1-4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.