Total views : 349
Investigation of Tensile Strength for Areca Frond/Corn Starch Composites
Objectives: To investigate the tensile strength of fully biodegradable areca frond/corn starch composites. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: In this study, frond fibres of areca were used to reinforce starch based matrix. Combination of layup and compression moulding was used to fabricate the composite sheets. To study the tensile behaviour, experiments were designed using the Taguchi method. Six factors and two level combinations in L8orthogonal array was applied for the experiment. Findings: Maximum strength of 38.92 MPa was obtained for the composition starch (20g), water (80g), vinegar (10g), cellulose acetate (10g), agarose (10g) and glycerol (10g) i.e. P1Q2R2S2T2U1.Results indicate that the plasticizer (glycerol)had the highest significance while binder (agarose) had the least importance. Signal to Noise (S/N) ratios for larger the better quality attributes was considered from the obtained data by carrying out Analysis Of Variance (ANOVA). Other factors affecting the response, (strength) in their decreasing order of importance were water, vinegar, cellulose acetate, corn starch and agarose. Application/Improvements: Biodegradable characteristic and reasonably good strength makes such composites suitable for use in applications like temporary structural partitions, vases for saplings, locomotive seat side panels and bathroom accessories with appropriate coatings.
Agarose, Areca Frond, Biodegradable Composites, Cellulose Acetate, Corn Starch, Layup and Compression Moulding.
- Mohanty AK, Misra M, Hinrichsen G. Biofibres, biodegradable polymers and biocomposites: An overview. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. 2000 Mar; 276(1):1–24.
- Shah DU. Developing plant fibre composites for structural applications by optimising composite parameters: A critical review. Journal of Materials Science. 2013 Sep; 48(18):6083–107
- Lai WL, Mariatti M, Jani SM. The properties of woven kenaf and betel palm (Areca catechu) reinforced unsaturated polyester composites. Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering. 2008 Dec; 47(12):1193–9.
- Padmaraj NH, Kini MV, Pai BR, Shenoy BS, Krishnamoorthy. Effect of different treatment media on the breaking strength of long Areca nut fibers. Proceedings of the 4th National Conference on Trends in Mechanical Engineering (TIME’10); 2010. p. 30–3.
- Rajulu AV, Rao GB, Devi LG, Ramaiah S, Prada DS, Bhat KS, Shylashree R. Mechanical properties of short, natural fiber Hildegardia populifolia-reinforced styrenated polyester composites. Journal of reinforced plastics and composites. 2005 Mar; 24(4):423–8.
- Nam TH, Ogihara S, Tung NH, Kobayashi S. Effect of alkali treatment on interfacial and mechanical properties of coir fiber reinforced poly (butylene succinate) biodegradable composites. Composites Part B: Engineering. 2011 Sep; 42(6):1648–56.
- Ma X, Yu J, Zhao A. Properties of biodegradable poly (propylene carbonate)/starch composites with succinic anhydride. Composites Science and Technology. 2006 Oct; 66(13):2360–6.
- Yang HS, Kim HJ, Park HJ, Lee BJ, Hwang TS. Water absorption behavior and mechanical properties of lignocellulosic filler–polyolefin bio-composites. Composite Structures. 2006 Apr; 72(4):429–37.
- Bledzki AK, Mamun AA, Volk J. Barley husk and coconut shell reinforced polypropylene composites: the effect of fibre physical, chemical and surface properties. Composites Science and Technology. 2010 May; 70(5):840–6.
- Swamy RP, Kumar GM, Vrushabhendrappa Y, Joseph V. Study of areca-reinforced phenol formaldehyde composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites. 2004 Sept; 23(13):1373–82.
- Venkateshappa SC, Jayadevappa SY, Puttiah PK. Mechanical behavior of areca fiber reinforced epoxy composites. Advances in Polymer Technolog. 2012 Dec; 31(4):319–30.
- Heckadka SS, Nayak SY, Kini MV, Chowgule R, Jain P. Effect of curing on the tensile and flexural performance of fully biodegradable corn starch/areca frond composites. Journal of Composites. 2015 Aug; 7.
- Mahesh GT, Shenoy BS, Padmaraj NH, Chethan KN. Synthesis and mechanical characterization of Grewiaserrulata short natural fiber composites. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology. 2014; 2:43–6.
- Srinivasababu N, Rao KM, Kumar JS. Experimental determination of tensile properties of okra, sisal and banana fiber reinforced polyester composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Jul; 2(7):35–8.
- Punyamurthy R, Sampathkumar D, Bennehalli B, Gouda RP, Srinivasa CV. Influence of fiber content and effect of chemical pre-treatments on mechanical characterization of natural abaca epoxy composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jun; 8(11):1.
- Majdzadeh-Ardakani K, Nazari B. Improving the mechanical properties of thermoplastic starch/poly (vinyl alcohol)/clay nanocomposites. Composites Science and Technology. 2010 Sep; 70(10):1557–63.
- Standard test method for tensile properties of polymer matrix composite materials. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA [Internet]. 2014. [Cited 2014 Aug 04]. Available from: www.astm.org.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.