Total views : 197
A Novel Solution Methodology for the Optimization of Thermal Analysis in the Solar Parabolic Trough Collector
Objectives: The maximized nano-fluid Nusselt number and minimized pressure drops are the most effective options for obtaining the enhanced thermal frontiers in solar parabolic trough collector. Methods/Analysis: In view of this, numerous researches had proposed hybrid algorithms for the optimization of the thermal analysis. Obtaining Pareto optimal solution, tending to local optimum point and the time consumption are the main drawbacks of the previous algorithms. Hence, in order to overcome the above difficulties, present work proposes a new innovative approach for optimization of thermal analysis in SPTC. Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) based solution methodology is proposed to gain the benefits of the global optimum solution and overcome the difficulties of the previous approaches. Findings: In this multi objective nonlinear optimization problem, the effect of Nusselt number and pressure drops are considered as the main objectives to obtain the most beneficial values of the design variables. Inlet velocities, concentration ratio of nano-particles and absorber tube diameter are considered as the most preferable design variables in the proposed optimization problem. Application/ Improvement: Five case studies based on different temperature levels are considered to check the suitability of the proposed solution methodology. Results explore the effectiveness of the proposed approach in the optimization of thermal analysis in SPTC.
Heat Transfer, Nano-particle, Parabolic Trough Collector, Particle Swarm Optimization.
- Cheng Z D, He Y L, Cui F Q. A new modelling method and unified code with MCRT for concentrating solar collectors and its applications. Applied Energy. 2013;101:686–98.
- Coelho B, Varga S, Oliveira A, Mendes A. Optimization of an atmospheric air volumetric central receiver system: impact of solar multiple, storage capacity and control strategy.Renewable Energy. 2014; 63:392–401.
- Desai N B, Kedare S B, Bandyopadhyay S. Optimization of design radiation for concentrating solar thermal power plants without storage. Solar Energy. 2014; 107:98–112.
- Kalogirou S A. Solar thermal collectors and applications.Progress in Energy and Combustion Science. 2004; 30:231– 95.
- Tian Y, Zhao C Y. A review of solar collectors and thermal energy storage in solar thermal applications. Applied Energy. 2013; 104:538–53.
- Anamika, Peespati R, Kumar N. Estimation of GSR to ascertain solar electricity cost in context of deregulated environment. Renewable Energy. 2016; 87:353–63.
- Grena R. Optical simulation of a parabolic solar trough collector. International Journal of Sustain Energy. 2012; 29:19–36.
- Price H, Lüpfert E, Kearney D, Zarza E, Cohen G, Gee R, Mahoney R. Advances in parabolic trough solar power technology. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering.2002; 124:109–25.
- Cheng Z D, He Y L, Wang K, Du B C, Cui F Q. A detailed parameter study on the comprehensive characteristics and performance of a parabolic trough solar collector system.Applied Thermal Engineering. 2014; 63:278–89.
- Cheng Z D, He Y L, Qiu Y. A detailed non-uniform thermal model of a parabolic trough solar receiver with two halves and two inactive ends. Renewable Energy. 2015; 74:139–47.
- Reddy K S, Kumar K R. Numerical investigation of energyefficient receiver for solar parabolic trough concentrator.Heat Transfer Engineering. 2008; 29:961–72.
- Kumar K R, Reddy K S. Thermal analysis of solar parabolic trough with porous disc receiver. Applied Energy. 2009; 86:1804–812.
- Muñoz J, Abánades A. Analysis of internal helically finned tubes for parabolic trough design by CFD tools. Applied Energy. 2011; 88:4139–149.
- Cheng Z D, He Y L, Cui F Q. Numerical study of heat transfer enhancement by unilateral longitudinal vortex generators inside parabolic trough solar receivers. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2012; 55:5631–641.
- Mwesigye A, Bello-Ochende T, Meyer J P. Heat transfer and thermodynamic performance of a parabolic trough receiver with centrally placed perforated plate inserts.Applied Energy. 2014; 136: 989–1003.
- Kakaç S, Pramuanjaroenkij A. Review of convective heat transfer enhancement with nano fluids. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2009; 52:3187–196.
- Buongiorno J. Convective transport in nano-fluids. Journal of Heat Transfer. 2005; 128: 240–50.
- 18.Godson L, Raja B, Lal D M, Wongwises S. Enhancement of heat transfer using nano fluids— an overview. Renewable and Sustain Energy Reviews. 2010; 14:629–41.
- Pathipakka G, Sivashanmugam P. Heat transfer behaviour of nano-fluids in a uniformly heated circular tube fitted with helical inserts in laminar flow. Superlattices Microstructure. 2010; 47: 349–60.
- Das S K, Choi S U, Yu W, Pradeep T. Nano fluids: Science and technology. Wiley; 2007.
- Javadi F S, Saidur R, Kamalisarvestani M. Investigating performance improvement of solar collectors by using nano fluids. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012; 28:232–45.
- Naphon P, Assadamongkol P, Borirak T. Experimental investigation of titanium nano fluids on the heat pipe thermal efficiency. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer. 2008; 35:1316–319.
- Sokhansefat T, Kasaeian A B, Kowsary F. Heat transfer enhancement in parabolic trough collector tube using Al2O3/synthetic oil nanofluid. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2014; 33:636–44.
- Mwesigye A, Huan Z, Meyer J P. Thermodynamic optimisation of the performance of a parabolic trough receiver using synthetic oil–Al2O3 nano-fluid. Applied Energy.2015; 156:398–12.
- Zadeh P M, Sokhansefat T, Kasaeian A B, Kowsary F, Akbarzadeh A. Hybrid optimization algorithm for thermal analysis in a solar parabolic trough collector based on nano- fluid. Energy. 2015; 82:857–64.
- Liu Q, Yang M, Lei J, Jin H, Gao Z, Wang Y. Modelling and optimizing parabolic trough solar collector systems using the least squares support vector machine method. Solar Energy. 2012; 86:1973–980.
- Silva R, Berenguel M, Perez M, Fernandez-Garcia A.Thermo-economic design optimization of parabolic trough solar plants for industrial process heat applications with memetic algorithms. Applied Energy. 2014; 113:603–614.
- Eberhart R C, Shi Y. Comparison between genetic algorithms and particle swarm optimization. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation; Anchorage, AK. 1998 May: p. 611–16.
- Shi Y, Eberhart R. A modified particle swarm optimizer.Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation; Anchorage, AK.1998 May; p.69–73.
- Thomas Jyothi, Kulanthaivel G. Classification of Preterm Birth with Optimized Rules by Mutating the Cognitive Knowledge of PSO. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 July; 8 (15):1–5.
- Yazd Hamidreza Golkar Hamzee, Arabshahi Seyed Jafar, Tavousi Mojtaba, Alvani Abbas. Optimal Designing of Concrete Gravity Dam using Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm (PSO). Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 June; 8 (12):1–10.
- Vallimeenal R., Rajkumar K. Improving Energy and Network Lifetime using PSO based Apriori in Wireless Sensor Networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 July; 8 (16):1–6.
- Rajkumar R., Albert A. James, Chandrakala D. Weather Forecasting using Fuzzy Neural Network (FNN) and Hierarchy Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm (HPSO). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 June; 8 (12):1–8.
- Gharehchopogh Farhad Soleimanian, Ebrahimi Laya, Maleki Isa, Gourabi Saman Joudati. A Novel PSO Based Approach with Hybrid of Fuzzy C-means and Learning Automata in Software Cost Estimation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 June;7 (6):795–803
- Kennedy J, Eberhart R. Particle swarm optimization.Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks; Piscataway. 1995.p.1942 –948.
- Shi Y, Eberhart R C. Empirical study of particle swarm optimization. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation; Washington, DC.1999 July; p. 1945–950.
- Angeline P J. Using selection to improve particle swarm optimization. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation; Anchorage, AK. May 1998; p. 84–89.
- Yoshida H, Kawata K, Fukuyama Y. A particle swarm optimization for reactive power and voltage control considering voltage security assessment. IEEE Transaction Power System. 2000; 15:1232–239.
- Mohandes M A. Modeling global solar radiation using particle swarm optimization (PSO). Solar Energy. 2012; 86:3137–145.
- Baños R, Agugliaro F M, Montoya F G, Gil C, Alcayde A, Gómez J. Optimization methods applied to renewable and sustainable energy: a review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012; 16:1753–766.
- Sharma N, Varun, Siddhartha. Stochastic techniques used for optimization in solar systems: a review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012; 16:1399–411.
- Gosselin L, Tye-Gingras M, Mathieu-Potvin F. Review of utilization of genetic algorithms in heat transfer problems.International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2009; 52:2169–188.
- Kalogirou S A. Artificial neural networks in renewable energy systems applications: a review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2015; 5:373–401.
- Pak B C, Cho Y I. Hydrodynamic and heat transfer study of dispersed fluids with submicron metallic oxide particles.Experimental Heat Transfer. 1998; 11:151–70.
- Risi A, Milanese M, Laforgia D. Modelling and optimization of transparent parabolic trough collector based on gas-phase nano fluids. Renewable Energy. 2013; 58:134–39.
- Das S K, Putra N, Thiesen P, Roetzel W. Temperature dependence of thermal conductivity enhancement for nano -fluids. Journal of Heat Transfer. 2003; 125:567–74.
- Yu W, Choi S U S. The role of interfacial layers in the enhanced thermal conductivity of nano fluids: a renovated maxwell model. Journal of Nanoparticle Research.2003; 5:167–71.
- Einstein A. Investigations on the Theory of the Brownian movement. New York: Dover Publications Inc.1956.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.