Total views : 1463
Applications of Machine Learning Techniques in Agricultural Crop Production: A Review Paper
Objective: This paper has been prepared as an effort to reassess the research studies on the relevance of machine learning techniques in the domain of agricultural crop production. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This method is a new approach for production of agricultural crop management. Accurate and timely forecasts of crop production are necessary for important policy decisions like import-export, pricing marketing distribution etc. which are issued by the directorate of economics and statistics. However one has understand that these prior estimates are not the objective estimates as these estimate requires lots of descriptive assessment based on many different qualitative factors. Hence there is a requirement to develop statistically sound objective prediction of crop production. That development in computing and information storage has provided large amount of data. Findings: The problem has been to intricate knowledge from this raw data , this has lead to the development of new approach and techniques such as machine learning that can be used to unite the knowledge of the data with crop yield evaluation. This research has been intended to evaluate these innovative techniques such that significant relationship can be found by their applications to the various variables present in the data base. Application / Improvement: The few techniques like artificial neural networks, Information Fuzzy Network, Decision Tree, Regression Analysis, Bayesian belief network. Time series analysis, Markov chain model, k-means clustering, k nearest neighbor, and support vector machine are applied in the domain of agriculture were presented.
Artificial Neural Network, Decision Tree, Machine Learning, Regression Analysis, Time Series Analysis.
- Yamuna G. Impacts of climate change in the developing world. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(6):1–1.
- Chakravarti A, Joshi N, Panjiar H. Rainfall runoff analysis using artificial neural network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(14):1–7.
- Ashaary N, Ishak WHW, Ku-Mahamud KR. Neural network application in the change of reservoir water level stage forecasting. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(13):1–6.
- Khoshnevisan B, Shahin Rafiee S, Omid M, Mousazadeh H, Rajaeifar MA. Application of artificial neural networks for prediction of output energy and GHG emissions in potato production in Iran, Elsevier. Agricultural Systems. 2014; 123:120–7.
- Babu MSP, Ramana Murty NV, Narayana SVNL. A web based tomato crop expert information system based on artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies. 2010; 1(3):1–5.
- Ornella L, Cervigni G, Tapia E. Applications of Machine Learning for Maize Breeding. In: Venkateswarlu B, Shanker AK, Shanker C. Book chapter of Crop stress and its management: Perspectives and Strategies, Springer, New York, USA. 2012; 1–29.
- Attonaty JM, Chatelin MH, Garcia F, Ndiaye N. Using extended machine learning and simulation technics to design crop management strategies. First European Information Technology in Agriculture, Copenhagen. 1997; 1–500.
- Gorni G, Augusto A. The Application of Neural Networks in the Modeling of Plate Rolling Processes, JOM. The Minerals, Metals and Material Society. 2008; 49(4):1–4.
- Drummond ST, Suddeth KA, Birrell SJ. Analysis and Correlation Methods for Spatial Data. ASAE. 1995; 1–6.
- Baskar SS, Arockiam L, Arul Kumar V, Jeyasimman L. Brief survey of application of data mining techniques to agriculture. Agricultural Journal. 2010; 5(2):116–8.
- Chen C, Mcnairn H. A neural network integrated approach for rice crop monitoring. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 2006; 27(7):1367–93.
- Co HC, Boosarawongse R. Forecasting Thailand’s Rice Export: Statistical Techniques vs. Artificial Neural Networks, Computers and Industrial Engineering. 2007; 53(4):610–27.
- Monisha Kaul M, Robert L, Hill H, Walthall C. Artificial neural networks for corn and Soybean yield prediction, Elsevier. Agricultural System. 2005; 85(1):1–18.
- Prasad PR, Begum SA. Regression and neural networks models for prediction of crop production. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research. 2013 Sep; 4(9):98–108.
- Agrawal R, Mehta SC. Weather Based Forecasting of Crop Yields, Pests and Diseases - IASRI Models. Journal of Ind Soc Agril Statistics. 2007; 62(2):1–12.
- Azme Khamis A, Ismail Z, Haron K, Mohammed AT. Neural network model for oil palm yield modeling, Asian network of scientific information. Journal of Applied Sciences. 2006; 6(53):1–9.
- Dahikar MSS, Rode SV. Agricultural crop yield prediction using artificial neural network approach. International Journal of Innovative Research in Electrical, Electronics, Instrumentation and Control Engineering (IJIREEICE). 2014 Jan; 2(1):1–4.
- Stathakis D, Savin I, Negre T. Neuro-fuzzy modeling for crop yield prediction. The International Archives of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. 1994; 34:1–4.
- Petridis V, Kaburlasos VG. FINk NN: a fuzzy interval number k-nearest neighbour classifier for prediction of sugar production from populations of samples. Journal on Machine Learning Research. 2003; 4:17–37.
- Salleh MNM. A Fuzzy Modelling of Decision Support System for Crop Selection. IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ISIEA2012), Bandung, Indonesia. 2012; 17–22.
- Papageorgiou EI, Aggelopoulou KD, Gemtos TA, Nanos GD. Yield prediction in apples using Fuzzy Cognitive Map learning approach. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Elsevier. 2013; 91:19–21.
- Delgado G, Aranda V, Calero J, Sanchez-Maranon M, Serrano J M, Sanchez D, Vila MA. Building a fuzzy logic information network and a decision-support system for olive cultivation in Andalusia. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research. 2008; 6(2):252–63.
- Daryl H, Hepting H, Maciag T, Hill H. Web-Based Support of Crop Selection for Climate Adaptation. 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, IEEE, Maui, HI. 2012. p. 1227–605.
- Vijaysinh A, Solanki S. Data mining techniques using WEKA classification for Sickle Cell Disease. (IJCSIT) International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technologies. 2014; 5(1):1–26.
- Uno Y. Artificial Neural Networks to Predict Corn Yield from Compact Airborne Spectographic Imager Data. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 2005; 47(2):149–61.
- Veenadhari S, Mishra B, Singh CD. Soybean Productivity Modelling using Decision Tree Algorithms. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2011; 27(7):975–8887.
- Veenadhari S, Misra B, Singh CD. Machine learning approach for forecasting crop yield based on climatic parameters. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics, Coimbatore. 2014. p. 1–16.
- Rossana MC, Leon D, Rex EL, Jalao J. A Prediction Model Framework for Crop Yield Prediction. Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management Society Conference Proceedings Cebu, Phillipines. 2013. p. 185.
- Kumar AVTV, Rajini Kanth R. A data mining approach for the estimation of climate change on the jowar crop yield in India. International Journal of Emerging Science and Engineering (IJESE). 2013; 2(2):16–20.
- Priya SRK, Suresh KK. A study on pre-harvest forecast of sugarcane yield using climatic variables, Statistics and Applications. 2009; 8(2):1–8.
- Horie T, Yajima M, Nakagawa H. Yield Forecasting. Agricultural Systems. 1992; 40(1):211–36.
- Rosa DLD, Cardona F, Almorza J. Crop Yield Prediction Based on Properties of Soils in Sellilla, Spain, Geoderma. 1981; 25(3-4):267–74.
- Kaspar TC. Relationship between six years of corn yields and terrain attributes. Precision Agriculture. 2003; 4(1):87–101.
- Shibayama M. Estimating grain yield of maturing rice canopies using high spectral resolution reflectance measurements. Remote Sensing of Environment. 1991; 36(1):45–53.
- Wilcox A. Factors Affecting the Yield of Winter Cereals in Crop Margins. Journal of Agricultural Science. 2000; 135(4):335–46.
- House CC. Forecasting Corn Yields: A comparison Study using Missouri Data, Statistical Research Division, United States Department of Agriculture. 1979; 17(16):3189–200.
- Kantanantha K, Nantachai N. Crop Decision Planning Under Yield and Price Uncertainties. 2007.
- Oludhe O, Christopher C. Deterministic and Probabilistic Prediction Approaches in Season to Inter-annual Climate Forecasting. 2002.
- Lansigan L. Analysis of Climatic Risk and Coping Strategies in Two Major Corn Growing Areas in the Philippines. 2010.
- Utkarsha P, Narkhede N, Adhiya KP. Evaluation of Modified K-Means Clustering Algorithm in Crop Prediction. International Journal of Advanced Computer Research. 2014; 4(3):1–1.
- Glauston R, Liman TD, Stephany S. A new classification approach for detecting severe weather patterns, Computers and Geosciences, ELSEVIER. 2013; 57:158–65.
- Brindha KP. Data mining based on principal component analysis for rainfall forecasting in India. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering (IJARCSSE). 2013 Sep; 3(9):1–11.
- Yiqun Gu Y, James W, McNicol M. An Application of Belief Networks to Future Crop Production. IEEE Conference on Artificial Intelligence for Applications, San Antonia, TX. 1994. p. 305–9.
- Hong-Ying L, Yan-Lin H, Yong-Juan Y, Hui-Ming Z. Crop yield forecasted model based on time series techniques. Journal of Northeast Agricultural University (English Edition). 2012; 19(1):73–7.
- Matis JH, Birkett T, Boudreaux D. An Application of the Markov Chain Approach to Forecasting Cotton Yields from Surveys. Agricultural Systems. 1989; 29(4):357–70.
- Jain RC, Ramasubramalliall V. Forecasting of Crop Yields using Second Order Markov Chains. Journal of the Indian Society of Agricultural Statistics. 1998; 51:61–72.
- Osman J, Inglada J , Dejoux JF. Assessment of a Markov logic model of crop rotations for early crop mapping, Elsevier. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 2015; 113:234–43.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.