Total views : 321
Bio-Alcohol from Anaerobic Co-Digestion of Agriculture and Animal Wastes
Background/Objectives: Efficient management of organic waste is necessary to avoid negative impacts on the environment and highly potential to be converted into biofuel. The objective of this study was to conduct preliminary analysis of organic wastes that used for biofuel production and characterization of bio-liquids produced. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Cow dung, pineapple peel, vegetable waste, fish waste and leftover chicken were used in production of methanol from methane system using anaerobic co-digestion method conducted at room temperature, pH 6.4-7.0 for 19 and 30 days in 500 mL of bio-reactor. Gas Chromatography Thermal Conductively Detector (GC-TCD) was used in determination of methane while bio-alcohol formed was detected by High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). Findings: Co-digestion of R2 (cow dung mixed pineapple skin) produced highest methane (23.07% wt), bio-methanol (19.08 g/L), bio-ethanol (51.30g/L) and glucose (35g/L). This study proved that co-digestion of organic wastes able to produce biogas and bio-alcohol better than digestion of only one substrate. Application/Improvements: The upgrading stage of bio-liquid produced is required to optimize the yield of the bio-liquid and increasing the productivity in large scale study so that it will be qualified for biofuel application.
Bedak sejuk, Cosmetic Powder, Natural Cosmetic, Rice Starch, Safety Evaluation.
- Schamphelaire L, Verstraete W. Revival of the biological sunlight to biogas energy conversion system. Biotechnology Bioenergy. 2009 Jun; 103(2):296–304.
- Shamsul NS, Kamarudin SK, Rahman NA, Kofli NT. An overview on the production of bio-methanol as potential renewable energy. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2014 Apr; 33:578–88.
- Mekhilef S, Saidur R, Safari A, Mustaffa WESB. Biomass energy in Malaysia, current state and prospects. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Review. 2011; 15(7):3360–70.
- Goldemberg J, Coelho ST, Nastari PM, Lucon O. Ethanol learning curve - The Brazilian experience. Biomass and Bioenergy. 2003; 26(3):301–4.
- Omar R, Harun RM, Mohd Ghazi TI, Wan Azlina WAKG, Idris A, Yunus R. Anaerobic treatment of cattle manure for biogas production. Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering. Universiti Putra Malaysia; 2010.
- Johnson KA, Johnson DE. Methane emissions from cattle. Journal of Animal Science. 1995 Aug; 73(8):2483–92.
- Shafie SM, Mahlia TMI, Masjuki HH, Yazid AA. A review on electricity based on biomass residue in Malaysia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012 Aug; 16(8):5879–89.
- Kangle KM, Kore SV, Kulkarno GS. Recent trends in anaerobic co-digestion: A review. Universal Journal of Environmental Research and Technology. 2012 Aug; 2(4):210–9.
- Tchobanoglous GH, Theisen SA. Integrated solid waste management: Engineering principles and management issues. McGraw Hill International Editions, Civil Engineering Series 6. Singapore: Mcgraw Hill Inc; 1993 Jan.
- Aragaw T, Andargie M, Gessesse A. Co-digestion of cattle manure with organic kitchen waste to increase biogas production using rumen fluids as inoculum. International Journal of Physical Sciences. 2013 Mar; 8(11):443–50.
- Wilkie AC. Anaerobic digestion of dairy manure: Design and process considerations. Daily Manure Management Conference. NRAES. 2005 Mar; 176:301–12.
- Hashimoto A, Chen Y, Varel V. Ultimate methane yield from beef cattle manure: Effect of temperature, ration constituents, antibiotic and manure age. Agriculture Wastes. 1981 Oct; 3(4):241–56.
- Bitton G. Overview of co-digestion study. Wastewater microbiology. New Jersey, Hoboken: John Wiley and Sons; 2005.
- Rozzi A, DiPinto AC. Start up and automation of anaerobic digesters with automatic bicarbonate control. Bioresource Technology. 1994; 48:215–9.
- Mosey FE, Fernandes XA. Patterns of hydrogen in biogas from the anaerobic digestion of milk sugars. Water Science Technology. 1989 Apr; 21(4-5):187–96.
- Ostrem K. Greening waste: Anaerobic digestion for treating the organic fraction of municipal solid wastes. Earth Engineering Center. Columbia University; 2014.
- Florencio L, Field JA, Lettinga G. High rate anaerobic treatment of alcoholic wastewaters. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 1997 Dec; 14(4).
- Bilitewski B, Hardtle G, Marek K. Waste Management. New York: Springer; 1994.
- Shamsul NS, Kamarudin SK. Biosynthesis of methanol from goat manure via anaerobic fermentation. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science. 2014 Oct; 8(19):81–3.
- Anitha M, Kamarudin SK, Shamsul NS, Kofli NT. Determination of bio-methanol as intermediate product of anaerobic co-digestion in animal and agriculture wastes. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 2015 Sep; 40(35):11791–9.
- Shamim RS, Islam SMK, Rafiqul IM, Khaled H, Kamrun N, Roy CK, MdEkhlas U, Choudhury N. Isolation of yeasts from raisins and palm-juice and ethanol production in molasses medium. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(12):1–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.