Total views : 546
Effects of Solvents and Extraction Methods on Herbal Plants Phyllanthus niruri, Orthosiphon stamineus and Labisia pumila
Background/Objectives: Phyllanthus niruri, Orthosiphon stamineus and Labisia pumila are the three herbs listed in Malaysian National Key Economic Areas (NKEA). This study was conducted to determine the herbs extract yields and activities on antioxidant and cytotoxicity properties. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Cold maceration and soxhlet were the extraction methods employed and water, ethanol and 50% ethanol (v/v) were chosen as solvents. Findings: The results showed 50% ethanol (v/v) was the best solvent for all three herbs in terms of extraction yield. For cold maceration, the extract yields were 14.3%, 17.4% and 7.6% for P. niruri, O. stamineus and L. pumila, respectively. Whilst for soxhlet method, the same trend was observed where 50% ethanol (v/v) gave the highest extract yield of 21.2%, 14.3% and 6.8% for P. niruri, O. stamineus and L. pumila, respectively. Total phenolic content and antioxidant capacity were also highest using 50% ethanol and soxhlet method for all herbs. Application/Improvements: This shows that the food-grade solvents at a certain concentration are suitable for the best extraction of selected herbs.
Labisia pumila, Maceration, Orthosiphon stamineus, Phyllanthus niruri, Soxhlet.
- Dhar ML, Dhar MM, Dhawan BN, Mehrotra BN, Ray C. Screening of Indian plants for biological activity: Part I. Indian Journal Exp Biol. 1968 Oct; 6 (4):232–47.
- Luger P, Weber M, Kashino S, Amakura Y, Yoshida T, Okuda T, Beurskens G, Dauter Z. Structure of the tannin geraniin based on conventional X-ray data at 295 K and on synchrotron data at 293 and 120 K. Acta Crystallogr B. 1998 Oct; 687–94.
- Indubala J, Ng LT. The green pharmacy of Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur: Vinpress Sdn. Bhd: Malaysia. 2000.
- Wagner H. Parmazietische biologie: drogen Webmed Central und ihre Inhalatsstoffe. 2nd ed. Stuggart: Gustav Fischer Verlag; 1982.
- Eisai PT. Medicinal Herb Index in Indonesia. 2nd ed. Indonesia; 1995.
- Hegnauer R. In: Chemotaxonomic der Planzen. vol. IV. Stuggart: Birkhauser Verlag, 1996.
- Masuda T, Masuda K, Shiragami S, Jitoe A, Nakatani N. Orthosiphol A and B, novel diterpenoid inhibitors of TPA (12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate)-induced inflammation, from Orthosiphon stamineus. Tetrahedron. 1992 Aug; 48 (33):6787–92.
- Chung WG, Roh HK, Kim HM, Cha YN. Involvement of CYP3A1, 2B1, and 2E1 in C-8 hydroxylation and CYP 1A2 and flavin-containing monooxygenase in N-demethylation of caffeine; identified by using inducer treated rat liver microsomes that are characterized with testosterone metabolic patterns. Chem Biol Interact. 1998 May; 113 (1):1–14.
- Beaux D, Fleurentin J, Mortier F. Effect of extracts of Orthosiphon stamineus Benth, Hieracium pilosella L., Sambucus nigra L. and Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng in rats. Phytother Res. 1999 May; 13(3):222–5.
- Tezuka Y, Stampoulis P, Banskota AH, Awale S, Tran KQ, Saiki I, Kadota S. Constituents of the Vietnamese medicinal plant Orthosiphon stamineus. Chem Pharm Bull. 2000 Nov; 48 (11):1711–9.
- Wan Ezumi MF, Siti Amrah S, Suhaimi AWM, Mohsin SSJ. Evaluation of the female reproductive toxicity of aqueous extract Labisia pumila var. alata in rats. Indian Journal Pharmacol. 2007 Feb; 39(1):30–2.
- Jamal JA, Houghton PJ, Milligan SR, Jantan I. The oestrogenic and cytotoxic effects of the extracts of Labisia pumila var. alata and Labisia pumila var. pumila in vitro. Sains Kesihatan. 2003; 1:53–60.
- Norhaiza M, Maziah M, Hakiman M. Antioxidative properties of leaf extracts of a popular Malaysian herb, Labisia pumila. Journal Medical Plant Research. 2009 May; 3 (4):217–23.
- Chua LS, Lee SY, Abdullah N, Sarmidi MR. Review on Labisia pumila (Kacip Fatimah): Bioactive phytochemicals and skin collagen synthesis promoting herb. Fitoterapia. 2012 Dec; 83 (8):1322–35.
- Karimi E, Jaafar HZE. HPLC and GC-MS determination of bioactive compounds in microwave obtained extracts of three varieties of Labisia pumila Benth. Molecules. 2011 Aug ,16 (8) , pp. 6791–6805.
- Han SR, Kim KH, Lim KO, Oh TJ. Biological Activity Analysis of Different Solvent Extracts from Pleurotus Ostreatus. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26):1–8.
- Wong BY, Tan CP, Ho CW. Effect of solid-to-solvent ratio on phenolic content and antioxidant capacities of Dukung Anak Phyllanthus niruri. International Food Research Journal. 2013 Jan; 20(1):325–30.
- Singleton VL, Rossi JA. Colorimetry of total phenolic with phosphomoybdic phosphotungstic acid reagent. Am J Enol Vitic. 1965 Jan; 16:144–58.
- De Ancos B, Sgroppo S, Plaza L, Cano MP. Possible nutritional and health-related value promotion in orange juice preserved by high pressure treatment. Journal Science Food Agriculture. 2002 Jun; 82 (8):790–6.
- Markom M, Hasan M, Wan Daud WR, Singh H, Md Jahim J. Extraction of hydrolysable tannins from Phyllanthus niruri Linn: Effects of solvents and extraction methods. Separation and Purification Technology. 2007 Jan; 52 (3):487–96.
- Abdul Razak MF, Pin KY, Md Shah Z, Abdullah LC, Soh SY, Thomas CSY. The effects of varying solvent polarity on extraction yield of Orthosiphon stamineus leaves. Journal of Applied Sciences. 2012; 12(11):1207–10.
- Azrie AM, Chuah AL, Pin KY, Tan HP. Effects of solvents on the extraction of Kacip Fatimah (Labisia pumila) leaves. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2014 Sep; 6(9):172–6.
- Amin AZ, Abdulla MA, Ali HM, Alshawsh MA, Qadir SW. Assessment of In vitro antioxidant, antibacterial and immune activation potentials of aqueous and ethanol extracts of Phyllanthus niruri. Journal Science Food Agriculture. 2012 Jul; 92(9):1874–7.
- Lee SC, Sze YL, Abdullah N, Sarmidi MR. Review on Labisia pumila (Kacip Fatimah): Bioactive phytochemicals and skin collagen synthesis promoting herb. Fitoterapia. 2012 Dec; 83(8):1322–35.
- Delgado-Andrade C, Rufian-Henares J, Morales F. Assessing the antioxidant activity of melanoidins from coffee brews by different antioxidant methods. Journal Agriculture Food Chem. 2005 Oct; 53(20):7832–6.
- Mohd Hadzri H, Che Yunus MA, Zhari S, Rithwan F. The effects of solvent and extraction method on the antioxidant of P. niruri. Jurnal Teknologi Science and Engineering. 2014; 68(5):1–7.
- Akowuah GA, Zhari I, Ahmad Sadikum N, Khamsah SM. Sinensetin, eupatorin, 3’- hydroxy- 5, 6, 7, 4’-tetramethyoxyflavone and rosmarinic acid contents and antioxidative effects of Orthosiphon stamineus from Malaysia. Food Chemistry. 2004 Oct; 87 (4):559–66.
- Jaafar ZEH, Karimi E, Ibrahim MH, Ghasemzadesh A. Phytochemical screening and antioxidant activity assessment of the leaf stem and root of (labisia paucifolia). Australian Journal of Crop Science. 2013 Feb; 7(2):276–80.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.