Total views : 330
Design and Simulation of Hierarchical Control of Two Continuous Stirred Tank Heater in Series
Background/Objectives: The present investigation was carried out to study the application of process control hierarchy to design an optimal control system for a two continuous stirred tank heaters in series (2-CSTHs). Methods/Statistical Analysis: The optimal control strategy of the 2-CSTHs is designed in a hierarchy of three level structures which employs optimization in the real-time optimization (RTO) control level, feedback control scheme in the regulating control level and sensors, pumps and control valves in the measurement and actuation level. All these levels should be coordinated and require information transfer. The proposed optimal control system of the 2-CSTHs was simulated using MATLAB/ SIMULINK and HYSYS. Findings: The simulation results show that the PID feedback closed-loop of the 2-CSTHs for level and temperature controllers are able to achieve satisfactory performance for servo and regulating control. Simulation on the RTO algorithm also yields results which indicate that the non-derivative technique is an efficient algorithm in minimizing the square of tracking error of temperature in both tanks of the 2-CSTHs. Application/Improvements: The non-derivative algorithm has the advantage over other algorithms in the family of ISOPE algorithm for not requiring process derivatives which make it attractive for industrial applications.
Continuous Stirred Tank Heater, Feedback Control, Hierarchical Control, Regulating Control, Real-Time Optimization (RTO), Supervisory Control.
- Razmi R. The application of real time optimizing control on two non-interacting tanks heater in series. Master thesis: National University of Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia, 2013.
- Chai T. Optimal operational control for complex industrial processes. 8th IFAC Symposium on Advanced control of Chemical Processes, Singapore. 2012.
- Rao SS. Engineering optimization: Theory and Practice. 4th edn, Wiley: New Jersy, 2009.
- Edgar T, Himmelblau DM. Optimization of Chemical Processes. 2nd edn, Mc Graw Hill: New York, 2001.
- Hou ZG. A hierarchical optimization neural network for large-scale dynamic systems. Automatica. 2001; 37:1931– 40.
- Findeisen W, Bailey FN, Bryds M, Malinowski K, Tatjewski P, Wozniak A. Control and Coordination in Hierarchical System, Wiley: Chichester, 1980.
- Abdullah N. Augmented Integrated System Optimization And Parameter Estimation For On-Line Hierarchical Control Of Large Scale Industrial Process. Thesis, PhD. City University: London, 1986.
- Bryds MA, Roberts PD. Optimal structures for steady-state adaptive optimizing control of large scale industrial processes. International Journal of Science. 1986; 17:1449–74.
- Bryds MA, Roberts PD. Converges and Optimality of Modified Two Step Algorithm for Integrated System Optimisation and Parameter Estimation. International Journal of System Science. 1981; 18:1305–22.
- Bryds MA, Ellies JE, Roberts PD. Augmented Integrated System Optimisation and Parameter Estimation Technique: Derivation, Optimality and Convergence. Proc IEE Part D. 1987; 134.
- Bryds MA, Chen S, Roberts PD. An Extension to Modified Two Step Algorithm for Steady State System Optimisation and Parameter Estimation. The City University. Control Engineering Centre, London, 1984.
- Zhou M, Li L, Xie L, Cai Y, Pan H. Integration of process design and control using hierarchical control structure. IFAC – Papers Online. 2015; 48(8):188–92.
- Mazaeda R, Cristea SP, de Prada C. Plant-wide hierarchical optimal control of a crystallization process. IFAC – Papers Online. 2015; 48(8):1210–5.
- de Prada C, Cristea SP, Mazaeda R, Hierarchical optimal operation of continuous-batch processes. IFAC – Papers Online. 2015; 48(23):294–301.
- Bryds MA, Tatjewski P. Iterative Algorithms for Multilayer Optimizing Control. Imperial College Press: London, 2005.
- Seborg DE, Edgar TF, Mellichamp DA, Doyle III FJ. Process Dynamics and Control. 3rd edn. Wiley: USA, 2011.
- Sinnott R, Towler G. Chemical Engineering Design, 5th edn, Butterworth Heinemann: USA, 2009.
- Smith CA, Corripio A. Principles and practice of automatic process control. 3rd edn. Wiley: USA, 2006.
- Tatjewski P. Advanced Control of Industrial Processes Structures and Algorithms. Springer-Verlag: London, 2007.
- Saez D, Cipriano A, Ordys AW. Optimisation of industrial processes at supervisory level: Application to control of thermal power plant. Springer: London, 2002.
- Liu ZY, Robert PD. Non-Derivative Methods for Optimization and Control of Steady State Systems. Int J Control. 1989; 49:1985–13.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.