Total views : 397
Physicochemical Properties, Heavy Metal Content and Microbial Limit Test of Bedak sejuk
Background/Objectives: At present, no study has been conducted to evaluate the safety of bedak sejuk as a cosmetic product. Hence in this study, the safety evaluation of bedak sejuk which is used daily by Malaysians was investigated. Methods: Five assessment tests were studied on physicochemical properties of bedak sejuk which includes determination of pH, moisture and volatile matter, matter insoluble in water, test for solubility of colours and fineness. Heavy metal content (lead) and microbial population limit tests were also executed. Findings: Results showed that bedak sejuk complies with the cosmetic powder standard, in which the pH of bedak sejuk was at 6.0±0.3, the moisture and volatile matter was at 1.1±0.6%, matter insoluble in boiling water was 68±0.7 mg/mass, the results of colour solubility was rated colourless and presented in a normal particle distribution. For the heavy metal content, less than 3.5±0.5 parts per million of lead in the sample was observed while for the microbial population limit test, was valued at 340 CFU/mL. Application: From these results, bedak sejuk has the potential to be be marketed as loose powder in canisters or molded or compressed into cakes and inserted into mirrored compact cases, typically with an applicator, usually a pad, a puff or other implement.
Bedak sejuk, Cosmetic Powder, Natural Cosmetic, Rice Starch, Safety Evaluation.
- Ko SH, Lee CS. Structural relationship between self-esteem, appereance management behaviour, body image, interpersonal relationship and hope of adults workers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(8):783–89. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i8/69265.
- Azlan A, Khoo HE, Idris MA, Ismail A, Razman MR. Evaluation of selected metal elements in commercial drinking water and tap water in peninsular Malaysia. Jurnal Sains Kesihatan Malaysia. 2011 Jan; 9(1):5–11.
- Huixia Q, Xiaohui L, Chengda Y, Yanlu Z, Senee J, Laurent A, Bazin R, Flament F, Adam A, Piot B. Instrumental and clinical studies of the facial skin tone and pigmentation of Shanghaiese women. Changes induced by age and a cosmetic whitening product. International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 2012 Feb; 34(1):49–54.
- Krishen AS, LaTour MS, Alishah EJ. Asian females in an advertising context: exploring skin tone tension. Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising. 2014 Feb; 35(1):71–85.
- Desmdt B, Van Hoeck E, Rogiers V, Courselle P, De Beer JO, De Paepe K, Deconinck E. Characterization of suspended illegal skin whitening cosmetics. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2014 Mar; 90:85–91.
- Nohynek GJ, Antignac E, Re T, Toutain H. Safety assessment of personal care products/cosmetics and their ingredients. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2010 Mar;243(2):239–59.
- National Pharmaceutical and Control Bureau (NPCB). The Control of Drugs and Cosmetics Regulation 1984 (Amendment 2009). Ministry of Health Malaysia; 2009.
- ASEAN. ASEAN Cosmetic Directives (ACD). Cosmetic Committee (ACC) heads of delegations meeting, ASEAN Secretariats, Jakarta: Indonesia; 2008 Mar.
- MEI 2009.National Pharmaceutical and Control Bureau (NPCB). Guidelines for control of cosmetic products in Malaysia (Revison 02). Ministry of Health Malaysia; 2009.
- EU. EU Cosmetic Directive 76/768/AAC. The European Union; 1976 Jul.
- Kamaruzaman KA. Halal cosmetics: between real concern and plain ignorance. The Halal Journal. 2008 Mar–Apr; 3(4):26–28.
- Hashim P, Mat Hashim D. A review of cosmetic and personal care products: Halal perspective and detection of ingredient. Pertanika Journal Science and Technology. 2013 Jul; 21(2):281–92.
- MS 2200. Department of standard Malaysia. Malaysian Standard Part 1: 2008 Islamic Consumer Goods-part 1: Cosmetic and personal care- General Guidelines (p.16). Shah Alam, Malaysia: Department of Standard Malaysia. Printing Department, SIRIM Berhad; 2008.
- Dzulfakar MAA, Tan Kofli N, Tasirin SM. An initial study on the influence of natural fermentation on particle size changes during the production of bedak sejuk. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 10(S4):71– 8.
- Burkill IH. A dictionary of the economic products of Malay Penisula. 2nd Volumes. Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operatives: Kuala Lumpur; 1966.
- Bodeker G.Health and beauty in Malay society. Health and beauty from the rainforest. Malaysian traditions of ramuan; 2009 Apr .
- The secrets of traditional asian beauty. Asian Scientist Magazine [Internet]. [Cited 2015 Jul 29]. Available from: http://www.asianscientist.com/2015/06/print/secrets-traditionalasian-beauty/June.
- Anon. Amended final report on the safety assessment of oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, oryza sativa (rice) germ oil, rice bran acid,oryza sativa (rice) bran wax, hydrogenated rice bran wax, oryza sativa (rice)bran extract, oryza sativa (rice) extract, oryza sativa (rice) germ powder, oryza sativa (rice) starch, oryza sativa (rice) bran, hydrolyzed rice bran extract, hydrolyzed rice bran protein, hydrolyzed rice extract, and hydrolyzed rice protein. International Journal of Toxicology. 2006;25(S2):91–120.
- IS 15608.Bureau of Indian Standards. Skin Powder – Specification (Second Revision); 2005.
- Takagi Y, Kaneda K, Miyaki M, Matsuo K, Kawada H, Hosokawa H. The long-term use of soap does not affect the pH-maintenance mechanism of human skin. Skin Research and Technology. 2015 May; 21(2):144–48.
- Schreml S, Szeimies RM, Karrer S, Heinlin J, Landthaler M, Babilas P. The impact of the pH value on skin integrity and cutaneous wound healing. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2010 Apr; 24(4):373–78.
- Lambers H, Piessens S, Bloem A, Pronk H, Finkel P. Natural skin surface pH is on average below 5, which is beneficial for its resident flora. International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 2006 Oct;28(5):359–70.
- Campana R, Scesa C, Patrone V, Vittoria E, Baffone W. Microbiological study of cosmetic products during their use by consumers: health risk and efficacy of preservative systems. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 2006 Sep; 43(3):301–06.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.