Effect of Sodium Hydroxide Pretreatment on Rice Straw Composition
Background/Objectives: Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) pretreatmentwas used to determine the effect of pretreatment on chemical composition of pretreated rice straw. The experiment was designed to measure the effects in terms of NaOH concentration and pretreatment time mainly on the total carbohydrate content (TOC) and lignin content of pretreated rice straw. Methods/Statistical Analysis:Compositional characterization was performed based on the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) laboratory analysis protocols. Rice straw obtained from Sekinchan, Selangor Malaysia was dried to reduce the moisture content (<15%) and ground to 2 mm particle size. Rice straw was pretreated with different concentration of NaOH (2%w/v, 6%w/v and 12%w/v) and pretreatment time of 1 and 3 hours, while temperature was kept constant at 55°C. Findings:Rice straw sample pretreated with 12%w/v NaOH for 1 hour gave the highest glucan content, an increase of 85.6% from the native untreated rice straw. This condition also yielded the best delignification effect which reduced the lignin composition up to 79.6%, while sample pretreated with 2%w/v for 3 hours gave the highest composition on total carbohydrate content of 79.16% for which included glucan, xylan and arabinan.Hence, the pretreatment condition of 2%w/v NaOH concentration for 3 hours was the best condition in order to obtain high total carbohydrate content while severe pretreatment condition of 12%w/v NaOH concentration for 1 hours was best to give the delignification effect to the rice straw. Application/Improvements: The results from this work can be used for further evaluation of pretreated rice straw using NAOH particularly for enzymatic hydrolysis. Is useful in determining the carbohydrate conversion during the hydrolysis.
- Wyman CE. What is (and is not) vital to advancing cellulosic ethanol. Trends in Biotechnology. 2007 Apr, 25(4), pp.153-157.
- Mood SH, Golfeshan AH, Tabatabaei M, Jouzani GS, Najafi GH, Gholami M, Ardjmand M. Lignocellulosic biomass to bioethanol, a comprehensive review with a focus on pretreatment. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2013 Nov, 27, pp. 77-93.
- Behera S, Arora R, Nandhagopal N, Kumar S. Importance of chemical pretreatment for bioconversion of lignocellulosic biomass. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2014 Aug, 36, pp. 91-106.
- Harun, S..Process and economic analysis of rice straw pretreatment using ammonia fiber. PhD Thesis, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, Malaysia. 2014.
- Johnson, F. X. Industrial biotechnology and biomass utilisation: prospects and challenges for the developing world. Vienna, Italy: United Nation Industrial Development Organization. 2007.
- Eisentraut A. Sustainable production of second-generation biofuels. IEA Energy papers. 2010 Feb .
- Taherzadeh MJ, Karimi K. Pretreatment of lignocellulosic wastes to improve ethanol and biogas production: a review. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2008 Sep, 9(9), pp. 1621-1651.
- Lim JS, Manan ZA, Alwi SR, Hashim H. A review on utilisation of biomass from rice industry as a source of renewable energy. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012 Jun, 16(5), pp. 3084-3094.
- Kim S, Dale BE. Global potential bioethanol production from wasted crops and crop residues. Biomass and Bioenergy. 2004 Apr, 26(4), pp. 361-375.
- Karimi K, Emtiazi G, Taherzadeh MJ. Ethanol production from dilute-acid pretreated rice straw by simultaneous saccharification and fermentation with Mucorindicus, Rhizopusoryzae, and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Enzyme and Microbial Technology. 2006 Dec, 40(1), pp. 138-144.
- Goh CS, Tan KT, Lee KT, Bhatia S. Bio-ethanol from lignocellulose: status, perspectives and challenges in Malaysia. Bioresource Technology. 2010 Jul, 101(13), pp. 4834-4841.
- Rosmiza MZ, Amriah B, Rosniza AC. Impact of rice straw development towards agricultural environment and farmers, socio-economy in MADA region, Kedah. In 2nd International Conference on History and Society Development (ICHSD). Bangkok, Thailand. International Economics Development Research Center (IEDRC) 2012 Nov , pp. 24-25 .
- Binod P, Sindhu R, Singhania RR, Vikram S, Devi L, Nagalakshmi S, Kurien N, Sukumaran RK, Pandey A. Bioethanol production from rice straw: an overview. Bioresource Technology. 2010 Jul, 101(13), pp. 4767-4774.
- Dale B. Biofuels: Thinking clearly about the issues. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2008 Apr, 56(11), pp. 3885-3891.
- Balat M, Balat H, Öz C. Progress in bioethanol processing. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science. 2008 Oct, 34(5), pp. 551-573.
- Balan V, da Costa Sousa L, Chundawat SP, Vismeh R, Jones AD, Dale BE. Mushroom spent straw: a potential substrate for an ethanol-based biorefinery. Journal of Industrial Microbiology &Biotechnology;. 2008 Oct, 35(5), pp. 293-301.
- Balat M. Production of bioethanol from lignocellulosic materials via the biochemical pathway: a review. Energy Conversion and Management. 2011 Feb, 52(2), pp. 858-875.
- Brodeur G, Yau E, Badal K, Collier J, Ramachandran KB, Ramakrishnan S. Chemical and physicochemical pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass: a review. Enzyme research. 2011 Mar, pp. 1-17.
- Kumar R, Mago G, Balan V, Wyman CE. Physical and chemical characterizations of corn stover and poplar solids resulting from leading pretreatment technologies. Bioresource Technology. 2009 Sep, 100(17), pp. 3948-3962.
- Cabrera E, Muñoz MJ, Martín R, Caro I, Curbelo C, Díaz AB. Alkaline and alkaline peroxide pretreatments at mild temperature to enhance enzymatic hydrolysis of rice hulls and straw. Bioresource Technology. 2014 Sep, 167, pp. 1-7.
- Kim I, Han JI. Optimization of alkaline pretreatment conditions for enhancing glucose yield of rice straw by response surface methodology. Biomass and Bioenergy. 2012 Nov, 46, pp. 210-217.
- Iroba KL, Tabil LG, Dumonceaux T, Baik OD. Effect of alkaline pretreatment on chemical composition of lignocellulosic biomass using radio frequency heating. Biosystems Engineering. 2013 Dec, 116(4), pp. 385-398.
- Hames BR. Biomass compositional analysis for energy applications. In: Biofuels: methods and protocols. J. R. Mielenz (ed.), Humana Press: India. 2009, pp. 145-167.
- Yang D. Pretreatment of rice straw for increasing the biodegradability. University of California, Davis , 2009.
- Cheng YS, Zheng Y, Yu CW, Dooley TM, Jenkins BM, Vander Gheynst JS. Evaluation of high solids alkaline pretreatment of rice straw. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 2010 Nov, 162(6), pp. 1768-1784.
- Sun R, Lawther JM, Banks WB. Influence of alkaline pretreatments on the cell wall components of wheat straw. Industrial Crops and Products. 1995 Jul, 4(2), pp. 127-145.
- Phutela UG, Sahni N, Sooch SS. Fungal degradation of paddy straw for enhancing biogas production. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jun, 5(4), pp. 660-665.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.