Total views : 417
Characterization and Performance Evaluation of Ultrafiltration Membrane for Humic Acid Removal
Background/Objectives: Humic Acid (HA) appears in conventional water treatment processes will compose to carcinogenic disinfection by-products. This has sparked this study to examine the effectiveness of polymeric membranes in HA removal. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Different types of membranes with a wide range of Molecular Weight Cut-Off (MWCO) were used in this study and their separation performances were evaluated by varying the Transmembrane Pressure (TMP) and HA concentrations. The permeates and feeds were analyzed by measuring the UV absorbance at wavelength of 254 nm. Findings: Among four membrane modules that used in this study, it was found that membrane Modules 1, 2 and 3 demonstrated similar performances in HA removal with a separation rate of at least 50%. Excellent HA separation (>90%) was reported with the use of membrane Module 4. Increasing of HA concentration from 0.1 to 0.2 mg/L did not expressively reduce membrane efficiency. These membranes however having severe fouling which contributed to a low permeate flow rates after a few runs. The permeate flux was initially high but reduced over the operation time. Simple cleaning could be conducted to recover the permeate flux but not 100% recovery as compared to the original fresh membranes. Application/Improvements: Based on the experiments, it can be established that the hollow fiber UF membrane is suitable for HA removal.
Humic Acid, Membrane Filtration, Ultrafiltration, Water Treatment.
- Hamid NAAA, Ismail AF, Matsuura T, Zularisam AW, Lau WJ, Yuliwati E, Abdullah MS. Desalination. Morphological and separation performance study of Polysulphone/Titanium Dioxide (PSF/TiO2) ultrafiltration membranes for Humic Acid Removal. 2011 Jun; 273(1):85–9.
- Baird C. Quimicaambiental. 2nd ed. W. H. Freeman and Company Book man: New York. 2002.
- Mangayarkarasi V, Prema A, Rao N. Silver nanomembrane and ceramic silver nanofilter for effective removal of water borne diarrhoegenic Escherichia coli. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Feb; 5(2):2029–34.
- Kumar M, Gholamvand Z, Morrissey A, Nolan K, Ulbricht M, Lawler J. Preparation and characterization of low fouling novel hybrid ultrafiltration membranes based on the blends of GO-TiO2 nanocomposite and polysulfone for Humic Acid removal. Journal of Membrane Science. 2016 May; 506:38–49.
- Szymanski K, Morawski AW, Mozia S. Humic Acid removal in a photocatalytic membrane reactor with a ceramic UF membrane. Chemical Engineering Journal. In Press.
- Akabarnezhad Sh, Mousavi SM, Sarhaddi R. Sol-gel synthesis of alumina-titania ceramic membrane: Preparation and characterization. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010 Oct; 3(10):1048–51.
- Salehi F. Ultrafiltration with pre-coagulation in drinking water production. [Ph.D thesis]. Org Techneau. Germany: RWTH Aachen University; 2007.
- Mulder M. Basic principles of membrane technology. The Netherlands: Springer-Science+Business Media, B.V; 2002.
- Teow YH. PVDF-TiO2 mixed-matrix membrane with anti-fouling properties for Humic Acid removal. [Ph.D thesis]. Malaysia: School of Chemical Engineering, UniversitiSains Malaysia; 2014.
- Khayet M, Suk DE, Narbaitz RM, Santerre JP, Matsuura T. Study on surface modification by surface-modifying macromolecules and its applications in membrane-separation processes. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2003 Jun; 89(11):2902–13.
- Teow YH, Ooi BS, Ahmad AL, Lim JK. Mixed-matrix membrane for Humic Acid removal: Influence of different types of TiO2 on membrane morphology and performance. International Journal of Chemical Engineering and Applications. 2012 Dec; 3(6):374–9.
- Bowen W, Mohammad A, Hilal N. Characterization of nanofiltration membranes for predictive purposes use of salts, uncharged solutes and atomic force microscopy. Journal of Membrane Science. 1997 Apr; 126(1):91–105.
- Xu J, Echizen H, Xing X, Yamamoto S, Unno H. Characteristics of separation of carnitine and metal ions in cheese whey model solution by loose reverse osmosis membrane. Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan. 1996; 29(2):289–95.
- Tsuru T, Urairi M, Nakao S, Kimura S. Reverse Osmosis of single and mixed electrolytes with charged membranes: Experiment and analysis. Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan. 1991; 24(4):518–26.
- Nanda D, Tung KL, Li YL, Lin NJ, Chuang CJ. Effect of pH on membrane morphology, fouling potential and filtration performance of nanofiltration membrane for water softening. Journal of Membrane Science. 2010 Mar; 349(1-2):411–20.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.