Total views : 215
ANFIS-PI Controller based Coordinated Control Scheme of Variable Speed PMSG based WECS to Improve LVRT Capability of Wind Farm Comprising Fixed Speed SCIG based WECS
Objective: This paper proposes a novel ANFIS-PI controller based coordinated control scheme of VS-PMSG based WECS, located in close proximity of FS-SCIG based WECS; for improving LVRT capability of FSIG based WF. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Conventional PI controller based coordinated control scheme is simple and gives a good performance. But, with changing parameters of the grid, especially at the time of grid disturbance; the conventional PI controller cannot effectively control the system. To perform this online returning of parameters, a novel ANFIS-PI controller based coordinated control scheme is proposed here; which dynamically changes the controller parameters in accordance with the change in power system impedance during grid disturbance. Findings: MATLAB simulations are performed to check the effectiveness of the proposed ANFIS-PI controller based coordinated control scheme on a typical arrangement of two MW-size WFs connected to an infinite bus. It has been observed that at the time of grid disturbance, the reactive power requirement of the FSSCIG based WECS is effectively controlled by the ANFIS-PI controller based coordinated control scheme of VS-PMSG based WECS. Simulation results exhibit the improvement in LVRT capability of the whole wind farm, comprising VS-PMSG based WECS with FS-SCIG based WECS. Results of the ANFIS-PI controller based coordinated control scheme are compared with the conventional PI controller based coordinated control scheme. Wherein, results with ANFIS-PI controller are proven better than the results with conventional PI controller. The proposed approach for improving LVRT capability of FS-SCIG based WECS seems to be a cost effective, as it need not have any additional installation of FACTS devices. Application/ Improvements: The largely installed FS-SCIG based WECS could be made LVRT capable by the proposed method. The prototype model of the proposed simulation work is the future scope of research.
Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System, Coordinated Control Scheme, Low Voltage Ride Through, Wind Farm.
- Chen-guang N, Guan-qi L. The Requirements and Technical Analysis of Low Voltage Ride-Through for the Doubly-Fed Induction Wind Turbines. ELSEVIER, Energy Procedia, The Proceedings of International Conference on Smart Grid and Clean Energy Technologies. 2011; 12:799–807.
- Wang Y, Li J, Hu S, Xu H. Analysis on DFIG Wind Power System Low-Voltage Ride Through. International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Hainan Island. 2009.p. 676–9.
- Ackermann T. Wind Power in Power System. Chichester, UK. John Wiley and Sons; 2012.
- Muyeen SM, Tamura J, Murata T. Stability augmentation of a grid connected wind farm. Green Energy and Technology. London: Springer-Verlag;2009.p. 23–65.
- Ibrahim RA, Hamad MS, Dessouky YG, Williams BW. A review on recent low voltage ride-through solutions for PMSG wind turbine. International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion. Sorrento: 2012, p. 265–70.
- Interconnection for Wind Energy. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), United States of America: 2005 Dec; 12.
- Rosyadi M, Muyeen SM, Takahashi R, Tamura J. Low voltage ride-through capability improvement of wind farms using variable speed permanent magnet wind generator. International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), Beijing. 2011. p. 1–6.
- Thi-Hoa T, Kyoung-Soo R. Improvement of LVRT Characteristic of SCIG Wind Turbine System by Incorporating PMSG. International Journal of Energy, Information and Communications. 2012 Aug; 3(3):1–14.
- Wessels C, Hoffmann N, Molinas M, Fuchs FW. StatCom control at wind farms with fixed-speed induction generators under asymmetrical grid faults. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 2013 July; 60(7):2864–73.
- Duong M Q, Grimaccia F, Leva S, Mussetta M, Zich R. Improving LVRT characteristics in variable-speed wind power generation by means of fuzzy logic. IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), Beijing. 2014;332–7.
- Sebastian P, Nair U. Improved Low Voltage Ride through Capability of a Fixed Speed Wind Generator using Dynamic Voltage Restorer. Procedia Technology. 2016; 25:767–74.
- Mehdi SS, Ahmad SY, Rasool K. A new control strategy for small wind farm with capabilities of supplying required reactive power and transient stability improvement. Renewable Energy. 2012; 44:32–9.
- Arunkumar PK, Kannan SM, Selvalakshmi I. Low Voltage Ride Through capability improvement in a grid connected Wind Energy Conversion System using STATCOM. International Conference on Energy Efficient Technologies for Sustainability (ICEETS), Nagercoil. 2016. p.603–8.
- Muyeen SM, Takahashi R, Murata T, Tamura J. Low Voltage Ride Through Capability Enhancement of Fixed Speed Wind Generator. IEEE Bucharest Power Tech Conference, Bucharest, Romania. 2009.
- Rosyadi M, Muyeen SM, Takahashi R, Tamura J. Fuzzy-PI Controller Design for PM Wind Generator to Improve Fault Ride Through of Wind Farm. International Journal of Renewable Energy Research. 2013; 3(2):1–7.
- Muyeen S M, Takahashi R, Murata T, Tamura J. A Variable Speed Wind Turbine Control Strategy to Meet Wind Farm Grid Code Requirements. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 2010 Feb; 25(1):331–40.
- Raj TV, Shereef RM, Khaparde SA. Comparison of SVCs and D-STATCOMs to Control Voltage Violations of Fixed Speed Induction Generators. IEEE 5th Power India Conference, Murthal. 2012. p. 1–6.
- Kumar P, Palwalia DK. Static Voltage and Frequency Regulation of Standalone Wind Energy Conversion System. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(29):1–6.
- Ren J, Hu Y, Ji Y, Liu C. Low Voltage Ride-Through Control for Fixed Speed Wind Generators under Grid Unbalanced Fault. 27th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), Orlando, FL. 2012. p. 686–9.
- Firouzi M, Gharehpetian GB. Improving Fault Ride-Through Capability of Fixed-Speed Wind Turbine by Using Bridge-Type Fault Current Limiter. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 2013 June; 28(2):361–9.
- Mahfouz MMA, Mohamed AH, Sayed E. Static synchronous compensator sizing for enhancement of fault ride-through capability and voltage stabilisation of fixed speed wind farms. IET Renewable Power Generation. 2014; 8(1):1–9.
- Duong MQ, Le KH, Grimaccia F, Leva S, Mussetta M, Zich RE. Comparison of power quality in different grid-integrated wind turbines. 16th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power (ICHQP), Bucharest. 2014, p. 448–52.
- Rosyadi M, Takahashi R, Tamura J, Muyeen SM. Fuzzy-PI controller design for PM wind generator to improve Fault Ride Through of wind farm. International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), Nagasaki. 2012. p. 1–6.
- Siegfried H. Grid integration of wind energy conversion systems. John Wiley and Sons Limited, 1998, pp. 34-36.
- Farid B, Amar O. A Study of New Techniques of Controlled PWM Inverters. European Journal of Scientific Research. 2009; 32(1):77–87.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.