Total views : 349
Time Sensitive Business Intelligence - Big Data Processing Methodology for Frequently Changing Business Dimensions
Background: In the competitive data driven business world, business Intelligence (BI) team converts the raw operational data to information for decision making. Operational system captures the day-to-day operations and BI database refreshes operational data periodically. Methods: A component to create the metadata repository which maintains the current BI database summary by logical data partitioning using range based partition for frequently changing parameter which are critical to business. During different time frequency, using metadata repository component identifies the latest data victim between BI vs operational data and refreshes the modified victim to BI database. Findings: In traditional data loading approach from Operational system to BI database, huge volume of data gets refreshed periodically irrespective of modifications, which leads to higher processing time and cost. To overcome this limitation, this proposed methodology helps to identify the latest data victims present in operational systems instead of bulk data replacement which can minimize the processing time and enables faster data transformation to achieve "Time to Decision" and "Quick to Market" implementation for business enhancements. Also component can be scheduled for data refresh with different time frequency for multiple critical to business as well as frequently changing parameters. Applications: In financial, traffic, weather, e-business, Logistics&stock management transactions, data changes frequently and process big data periodically to gain real-time knowledge discovery for time sensitive decision making.
Frequently Changing Data,Time-sensitive Business Intelligence.
- Batini C, Scannapieca M. Types of data representation. Data Quality Concepts, Methodologies and Techniques. Springer Publications; 2006. p. 6–11.
- Raj P, Raman A, Nagaraj D, Duggirala S. High performance big data analytics computing systems and approaches. Springer Publications; 2015.
- Kimball R. Operational data store. The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit. John Wiley & Sons; 2008. p. 9.4–9.6.
- Berson. Operational data store. Data Warehousing, Data Mining, & Olap. Tata McGraw Hill Education; 2004. p. 100–50.
- Operational Data Store [Internet]. [Cited 2015 Feb 13]. Available from: Http://Www.Learn.Geekinterview.Com/ Data-Warehouse/Dw-Basics/What-Is-Operational-DataStore-Ods.Html.
- Operational Data Store [Internet]. [Cited 2015 May 1]. Available from: Http://Randygrenier.Blogspot.In/2011/02/ Operational-Data-Stores-Ods.Html.
- Plattner H, Zeier A. Memory data management an inflection point for enterprise applications enabling analytics on transactional data. Springer Publications; 2011.
- In- Memory Database [Internet]. [Cited 2015 May 1]. Available from: Http://Www.Mcobject.Com/In_Memory_ Database.
- Harman K. Learning objects standards, metadata, and repositories. Santa Rosa, California Informing Science Press; 2007.
- Marco D. Building and managing the metadata repositorya full lifecycle guide. Wiley Publications; 2000.
- Metadata [Internet]. [Cited 2015 May 1]. Available from: Http://Etl-Tools.Info/En/Metadata.Html.
- Inmon WH, O'Neil B, Fryman L. Business metadata capturing enterprise knowledge. Morgan Kaufmann; 2010.
- Bhansali N. Metadata management and data governance. Data Governance Creating Value from Information Asset. Auerbach Publications; 2014. p. 43–64.
- Rao V. Data partitioning. Oracle Business Intelligence Solutions. Lulu Press. 2015; p. 200–350.
- Alapati SR. Data partitioning. Expert Oracle Database 11g Administration. Dreamtech Press; 2009. p. 280–91.
- Data Partition [Internet]. [Cited 2015 Apr 15]. Available from: Http://Docs.Oracle.Com/Cd/B28359_01/Server.111/ B32024/Partition.Htm.
- Kimball R. Data dimensions. The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit. John Wiley & Sons; 2008. p. 20–150 18. Kimball R, Ross M. Slowly changing parameter. The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Definitive Guide to Dimensional Modeling. John Wiley & Sons; 2013. p. 30–65.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.