Total views : 1129
Measurement and Monitoring of Soil Moisture using Cloud IoT and Android System
Objectives: Soil moisture information plays an important role in environmental monitoring, agricultural production and hydrological studies. Particularly, agricultural yield depends on several growing parameters like temperature, humidity, soil moisture and pH of the soil, etc. In this paper, we have designed and developed a system for measuring and monitoring soil moisture by interfacing low-cost soil moisture sensor with CC3200 LaunchPad and using Internet of Things (IoT), Cloud computing and Mobile computing technologies. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Two types of soils, namely red and black were collected from the field and experiments were carried out at room temperature. Moisture levels were measured using the commercially available soil moisture sensor: FC-28. Such values downloaded from the Cloud (earlier these values are uploaded into AT&T’s M2X Cloud technology and mobile application using CC3200 LaunchPad) are compared with the gravimetric dry basic technique. The results are in agreement with a deviation of 2%. Findings: Data corresponding to the moisture contents of red and black soils were uploaded to the AT&Ts’ M2X Cloud and accessed on-line and monitored the humidity levels on the screens of the mobile/laptop. In parallel the data acquired is also stored in the form of excel sheet for further processing. Conclusion: In this paper, we have designed and developed a Cloud computing Android system that gives on-line information about soil moisture. The results obtained for two types of soils are uploaded to the Cloud and accessed through the mobile/laptop from a remote area are presented.
CC3200 LaunchPad, Cloud Technology, IoT, Mobile Computing, Soil Moisture Sensor, Wi-Fi.
- Indian Agriculture Industry. An Overview [Online]. 2016. Available from: http://www.ibef.org/industry/agriculture-india.aspx
- Tran DV, Nguyen NV. The concept and implementation of precision farming and rice integrated crop management system for sustainable production in the 21st century. International Rice Commission newsletter (FAO). 55:91–102.
- Zanella A, Bui N, Castellani A, Vangelista L, Zorzi M. Internet of Things for smart cities. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. 2014; 1(1):22–32.
- Ghamri-Doudance Y, Minerva R. Guest editorial special issue on world forum on Internet of Things Conference 2014. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. 2015 Jun; 2(3):187–9.
- Kantarci B, Mouftah HT. Trustworthy sensing for public safety in cloud-centric Internet of Things. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. 2014 Aug; 1(4):360–8.
- Jorapur N, Palaparthy VS, Sarik S, John J, Shojaei Baghini M, Ananthasuresh GK. A low-power, low-cost soil-moisture sensor using dual-probe heat-pulse technique. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. 2015 Sept; 233:108–17.
- FC-28 Soil moisture sensor specifications [Online]. 2016. Available from: www.nskelectronics.com/soil_moisture_sensor.html
- Andhra.pdf [Online]. 2014. 2016. Available from: nidm.gov.in/pdf/dp/Andhra.pdf
- Moghaddam M, Entekhabi D, Goykhman Y, Li K, Liu M, Mahajan A, Nayyar A, Shuman D, Teneketzis D. Wireless soil moisture smart sensor web using physics-based optimal control: Concept and initial demonstrations. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. 2010 Dec; 3(4):522–35.
- Mesas-Carrascosa FJ, Verdu Santano D, Merono JE, Sanchez de la Orden M, Garcıa-Ferrer A. Open source hardware to monitor environmental parameters in precision agriculture. Biosystems Engineering. 2015; 137:73–83.
- Rajagopal G, Lodd VM, Vignesh A, Rajesh R, Vijayaraghavan V. Low cost cloud based intelligent farm automation system using Bluetooth low energy. 2014 IEEE Region 10 Humanitarian Technology Conference RT-HTC; Chennai, 2014. p. 127–39.
- Revathi P, Rajasekaran C. Energy efficient wireless monitoring system for Agarian areas in Indian agricultural system using GPRS module. 2015 International Conference on Communications and Signal Processing (ICCSP); Melmaruvathur. 2015. p. 322–6.
- Nikolidakis SA, Kandris D, Vergados DD, Douligeris C. Energy efficient automated control of irrigation in agriculture by using wireless sensor networks. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 2015; 113:154–63.
- Kumar A, Kamal K, Arshad MO, Mathavan S, Vadamala T. Smart irrigation using low-cost moisture sensors and XBee-based communication. IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC); 2014. p. 333–7.
- Dong X, Vuran MC. Spatio-temporal soil moisture measurement with wireless underground sensor networks. CSE Conference and Workshop; Juan Les Pins, France. 2010. p. 1–8.
- Li Z, Wang N, Franzen A, Taher P, Godsey C, Zhang H, Li X. Practical deployment of an in-field soil property wireless sensor networks. Computer Standards and Interfaces. 2014; 36(2):278–87.
- Mathurkar SS, Lanjewar RB, Patel NR, Somkuwar RS. Smart sensor based monitoring system for agriculture using FPGA. International Conference on Circuit, Power and Computing Technologies [ICCPCT]; Nagercoil. 2014. p. 339–44.
- Ojha T, Misra S, Raghuwanshi NS. Wireless sensor networks for agriculture: The state-of-the-art in practice and future changes. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 2015; 118:66–84.
- M2x cloud overview [Online]. 2015. Available from: https://m2x.att.com/develop/documentation/v2/overview
- AT&T M2X: Build solutions for the Internet of Things [Online]. 2015. Available from: https://m2x.att.com
- CC3200 LaunchPad specifications, [Online]. 05/02/2015. Available from: http://www.ti.com/general/docs/lit/getliterature.tsp?genericPartNumber=cc3200&fileType=pdf
- Hackster.io- The community dedicated to learning hardware.[Online]. 2016. Available from: https://www.hackster.io
- Daya Sagar KV, Kumar AP, Ankush GS, Harika T, Saranya M, Hemanth D. Implementation of IoT based railway calamity avoidance system using cloud computing technology. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(17):1–5.
- Hackster.io- The community dedicated to learning hardware. [Online]. 2016. Available from: https://www.hackster.io
- Murthy ASR, Sudheer Y, Mounika K, Rao KS, Prasad PD. Cloud technology on agriculture using sensors. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(17). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9il7/93103.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.