Total views : 183
Experimental Investigation of True Stress and True Strain on Copper Based Metal Matrix Composite during Compression Test using Design of Experiments
Objective: In this Paper, the effect of reinforcement content, load and time was analysed on the true stress and true strain during compression testing of (Copper/Silicon Carbide) Cu/SiC composite using design of experiment. Methods:Statistical analysis is performed to identify the significant factor which affects the mechanical behaviour of the composite.Three types of composite samples were made-up using different SiC content by stir casting process. The true stress and true strain of composites were evaluated for a defined variety of load and time. Findings: With the increase of SiC content, load, and time the true stress of a composite improved. With the increase of SiC content, true strain decreased while with increase of load and time, true strain increased. Vickers hardness test is also performed on developed samples. It is found that percentage increase in the reinforcement content of MMC increases the hardness of the composite. Applications/Improvements: More analysis and evaluation on copper composite can be performed by varying various parameters like increasing reinforcement percentage and tests can be conducted at elevated temperatures.
Compression Test, Hardness, Metal Matrix Composites.
- Sozhamannan GG, Prabu SB VSK, Venkatagalapathy V. Effect of Processing Paramters on Metal Matrix Composites: Stir Casting Process. Journal of Surface Engineered Materials and Advanced Technology. 2012; 2(1):11-5.
- Molina A, Torres-Islas S, Serna M, Flores ARA. RodriguezDiaz J, Colin C, Corrosion C. Electrical and Mechanical Performance of Copper Matrix Composites Produced by Mechanical Alloying and Consolidation. International Journal of Electrochemistry Science. 2015; 10:1728-41.
- Zhou W, Xu ZM. Casting of SiC Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites. Journal of Materials Processing Technology.1997; 63(1-3):358-63.
- Mathur S, Barnawal A. Effect of Process Parameter of Stir Casting on Metal Matrix Composites. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR). 2013; 2(12):1-4.
- Nallusamy S, Karthikeyan A. Analysis of Wear Resistance, Cracks and Hardness of Metal Matrix Composites with SiC Additives and Al2O3 as Reinforcement. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(35):pp.?
- Raj AM, Manoharan N. Experimental Investigation and Analysis of Torque in Drilling Al–15%SiC–4% Graphite Metal Matrix Composites using Response Surface Methodology. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2014 Oct; 7(S6):pp.?
- Prabhu TR. Effects of solid lubricants, load and sliding speed on the tribological behaviour of silica reinforced composites using design of experiments. Materials and Design. 2015; 77:149-60.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.