Total views : 422
Effects of Process Parameters and Recycled Slag on Flux Consumption in Submerged Arc Stainless Steel Cladding
Objective: Slag generated during submerged arc cladding is discarded as waste. It creates problems like environmental pollution, wastage of natural resources and need landfill space for its dumping. A technology for recycling of slag generated during submerged arc cladding of stainless steel was developed. In the present study the effects of process parameters and recycled slag on flux consumption has been studied. Methods/Analysis: The experiments were conducted using fractional factorial design with type of flux (fresh flux/recycled slag) as one of the controllable factors. Mathematical model for flux consumption was developed. Developed model was tested for its adequacy by F-test. The significance of the coefficients was tested by Student’s t-test. The results have been thoroughly analysed and presented graphically. The methodology for recycling the slag has also been discussed briefly. Findings: It was found that flux consumption increases with increase in open circuit voltage, decreases with increase in welding current and remains unaffected of travel speed. The results also proved that recycled slag does not produce any significant effects on the flux consumption. Novelty/Improvement: The work presented in this paper is essentially a novel technology developed by the authors originally. No work carried out by any other researcher on recycling of slag generated during stainless steel welding/cladding and its effects on flux consumption has been reported anywhere in literature.
Cladding, Factorial Design of Experiments, Flux Consumption, Submerged Arc Welding, Slag Recycling, Stainless Steel.
- Magram SF. Worldwide solid waste recycling strategies: A review. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011 Jun; 4(6):692–702.
- Dhanda U, Gupta S. Exploring the go green mantra in India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(S4):247–58.
- Mahendran K, Arunachelam N. Performance of fly ash and copper slag based geopolymer concrete. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–6.
- Garg J, Singh K. Slag recycling in submerged arc welding and its effects on the quality of stainless steel claddings. Materials and Design. 2016; 108:689–98.
- Sharma A, Arora N, Mishra BK. Mathematical modeling of flux consumption during twin-wire welding. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. 2008; 38(11):1114–24.
- Chandel RS. The effect of process variables on the flux consumption in submerged arc welding. Mater Manuf Process. 1998; 13(2):181–8.
- Viana CE, Dias DP, De Holanda JNF, Paranhos RPDR. The use of submerged-arc welding flux slag as raw material for the fabrication of multiple-use mortars and bricks. Soldag Inspecao. 2009; 14(3):257–62.
- Garg J, Singh K. Reuse of slag in stainless steel cladding and its effect on chemistry of claddings. Journal of Environmental Research and Development. 2012; 3(A):674–80.
- Datta S, Bandyopadhyay A, Pal PK. Solving multi-criteria optimization problem in submerged arc welding consuming a mixture of fresh flux and fused slag. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. 2008; 35(9-10):935–42.
- Adler YP. The design of experiments to find optimal conditions. Moscow: Mir Publishers; 1975.
- Montgomery DC. Design and analysis of experiments. 8th ed. Singapore: John Wiley and Sons Inc; 2012.
- Yawar J, Lal H. Effect of various parameters on flux consumption, carbon and silicon in submerged arc welding. International Journal on Emerging Technologies. 2015; 6(2):176–80.
- Kumar V. Use of response surface modeling in prediction and control of flux consumption in submerged arc weld deposits. Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science, WCECS 2011; San Francisco, USA. 2011.
- Jackson CE. Fluxes and slags in welding. Welding Research Council Bulletin. 1973; 190:1–25.
- Singh J, Singh CD, Khamba JS, Singh FP. Influence of welding parameters on flux consumption in submerged arc welding. International Journal for Multi Disciplinary Engineering and Business Management. 2014; 2(1):1–3.
- Gupta SR, Gupta PC, Reddy PC. Investigation into flux consumption in submerged arc welding. Indian Weld J. 1988; 365–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.