Total views : 379
Turkic Origins of the Traditional Kazakh Historical Thought and Islamic Influence on its Formation
Background/Objectives: The study aims to determine the Turkic origins of the traditional Kazakh historical thought and Islamic influence on its formation and to provide a scientific reconstruction of the Kazakh Khanate's history. Methods: Methodological analysis of the medieval-era written sources presupposes the usage of the methods of forecasting and assumption, comparison and scientific reconstruction, aimed at the disclosure of the content of scientifically-confirmed events and facts that can be found in genealogical tables, genealogies, and traditional written sources. Genealogy is used as an auxiliary method. Findings: As a result, the functions of genealogical data as a unique historical source that reveals the essence of the social and political relationships and social institutions of the traditional Kazakh society were classified. Thus, greater emphasis was placed on the religious and spiritual aspects of ethno-political processes in the society, which previously were not covered in the fundamental studies based on ideological postulates. The paper also provides the periodization of the Kazakh historical thought formation and development, systematizes the process of integration of the Islamic historical thought and the foundations of the Turkic worldview into the genealogical data that strengthened the tribal structure of the Kazakh society. For the first time, the concept of transformation of the ancient Turkic notion of the sacredness of the authority over the Islamic spiritual and political values advocated by the Turko-Islamic Sufi Ahmad Yasawi as a basis of the state ideology of the Kazakh Khanate was proposed. The Kazakh shezhire (genealogy) as a genre of oral history was evaluated methodologically. Applications/Improvements: The results of this study can be used in teaching relevant disciplines such as history, sociology, political science, etc. at higher educational institutions, and as sources for research papers and dissertations.
Genealogical Sources, Sacredness of the Authority, Traditional Historical Thought, Yesevi-Tariqa.
- Brokhauz FA, Efron YA. Encyclopaedic dictionary. St Petersburg, 1892, 8. Tomazov V. Genealogy of Cossack officers’ generations: historiography and sources (the second half of the 17th - the beginning of the 21st century). Kyiv; 2006.
- Allsen T. The princes of the left hand: an introduction to the history of the ulus of orda in the thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries. Archivum Eurasiae Medii Aevi V. 1985–87. p. 5–40.
- Pultar G. Imagined identities: identity formation in the age of globalization [Internet]. 2013. [Cited 2012 Mar 12]. Available from: https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=KhiQAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA201&lpg=PA201&dq;.
- Norris SM, Sunderland W. Russia’s people of empire: life stories from Eurasia, 1500 to the Present. Indiana University Press; 2012.
- Kemper M, Conermann S. The heritage of Soviet oriental studies [Internet]. 2011. [Cited 2016 Apr 1]. Available from: https://books.google.com.ua/ books?id=QYmsAgAAQBAJ&pg;.
- Bustanov AK. Soviet orientalism and the creation of Central Asian nations [Internet]. 2014. [Cited 2016 Apr 01]. Available from; https://books.google.com.ua/books?id =YUeLBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA122&lpg=PA122&dq;.
- Kemper M, Kalinovsky AM. Reassessing orientalism: interlocking orientologies during the cold war; 2015.
- Tynyshpaev M. Materials to the history of Kyrgyz-Kazakh people. East Department of Kyrgyz State Press. Tashkent, USSR; 1925.
- Urynbassarova Z. Shezhire: Kazakh Family Tree [Internet]. [Cited 2016 Apr 01]. Available from: http://azh.kz/en/ news/view/80.
- Akimbekov S. The history of steppe: the phenomenon of Genghis Khan’ kingdom in history of Eurasia. Almaty, Central Asia Press, Kazakhstan; 2011.
- Alpysbesuly AM. The Kazakh Shezheres: the sources and traditions [Internet]. [Cited 2016 Aug 01]. Available from: http://group-global.org/ru/node/4311.
- Amanjolov A. History of ancient Turkic scripts, Almaty, Mektep, Kazakhstan; 2003.
- Benkő M. Kazakh-Magyar sezheres and legends of origin [Internet]. [Cited 2016 Apr 01]. Available from: http:// www.enu.kz/repository/repository2014/kazakh-magyar.pdf.
- Noda J. The Kazakh Khanates between the Russian and Qing Empires: central Eurasin international relations during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Leiden, Boston: Brill; 2016.
- Orazbayeva AS. Peculiaritie of Mashhur Zhusyp Kopeyuli’s piece of art Kazakh Genealogy [Internet]. [Cited 2016 Jul 01]. Available from: http://www.rusnauka.com/9_ SNP_2015/Philologia/2_189661.doc.htm.
- Saurykov BYe. Turkic Runes in southern part of Kazakhstan: Current state and future. International Journal of Central Asian Studies. 2013; 17(7):113–125.
- Zuev YuA. Early Turks: Essays on the history and ideology.Almaty; 2001.
- Edelbay S. Traditional Kazakh Culture and Islam. International Journal of Business and Social Science. 2012; 3(11):122–33.
- Khalid A. Islam after Communism: Religion and Politics in Central Asia. University of California Press; 2014.
- Nurtazina ND. Islam at the Kazakh Khanate (XV-XVIII centuries.). Almaty: Kazakh University; 2009.
- Pilkington H, Yemelianova G. Islam in Post-Soviet Russia: Public and Private Faces. RoutledgeCurzon; 2002.
- Frank AJ, Usmanov MA. Materials for the Islamic History of Semipalatinsk: Two Manuscripts by Ahmad-Walī al-Qazānī and Qurbān ‘alī Khālidī. Berlin; 2001. p. 6–7.
- Hajji U. Chingiz-name. Facsimile, translation, transcription, textual studies of V. P. Yudin. Alma-Ata: Gylym.Press; 1992 [In Russian].
- Dughlat MH. Tarikh-i-Rashidi (History of Rashid) [Internet]. [Cited 2016 Aug 01]. Available from: https:// www.forgottenbooks.com.
- Zhalayiri K. Collection of genealogy-shezhіre. (Transl. from Shagatay-kazakh by Myngulov N, Komekov B, Oteniyazov S). Almaty: Kazakstan Press; 1997.
- Khan AB. Histoire Genealogique des Tartars, 2 vols, Leiden; 1726.
- Kupeyuli MYu. Kazakh şejiresi. Prepared by S. Däüitov. Almaty; 1993.
- Khalidi K.Tauarich Hamsa şarqï. (Aud. B.Totenaev, A. Joldasov). Almaty; 1992.
- Kudajberdіuly Sh. Turkish, Kyrgyz-kazakh and khans geneologyshejire. Almaty: Kazakstan Press; 1991.
- Valihanov Ch. Collection of materials. 1st Edn., Alma-Ata: Nauka Press; 1961. [In Russian].
- Skorobogatov V, Yurchenko I, Yurchenko N, Telyatnik T, Yermolenko O. Scientific methods in social and humanitarian researches. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(S10):3–9. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/ v8is(10)/84866.
- Rashid ad-din. Jami at-Tawarikh. Vol І. 1st Edn, MoscowLeningrad: AN SSSR Press; 1952. [In Russian].
- Ulugbek M. Tarih-i arba ulus. (Transl. from Persian by B. Ahmedov, N. Norhulov, M. Hasani). Tashkent: Chulpon Press; 1993. [In Uzbek].
- Fedorov-Davydov G. The social system of the Golden Horde. Moscow: MGU Press; 1973. p. 176–77. [In Russian].
- Artykbaev Zh. Historical heritage of Kupeev M. Pavlodar: Pavlodar State University Press; 2004. p. 86–87. [In Russian].
- Ozbek genealogy-shejire. On hands of authors. [In Uzbek].
- Babadzhanov B. Kohand Khanate: power, politics, religion. Tashkent: Yangi nashr Press; 2010. [In Russian].
- Abusejtova M. Kazakhstan and Central Asia in the XV-XVII centuries: history, politics, diplomacy. Monograph, Almaty: Dajk-Press; 1998. [In Russian].
- Mahmud bin Wali. Bahr al- Asrar al- fi Manaqib ahyar. Materials on the history of the Kazakh Khanate XV- XVIII centuries. (Transl. from Persian by Ibragimov C, Mingulov H, Pishchulina K, Yudin V) Alma-Ata: Nauka Press; 1969. [In Russian].
- Orazbayeva A, Sadvokassova Z. The Muqaddimah of Ibn Khaldun and the Specificity of the Social Structure of a Nomad Society (through the Example of Traditional Kazakh Society). Bylye Gody. 2015; 36(2). [In Russian].
- Trepavlov V. The political system of the Mongol Empire XІІІ century. Monograph, Moscow: Nauka Press; 1993. [In Russian].
- Bartol’d V. A collection of writings. 2nd Edn, Moscow: Eastern Literature Press; 1963. [In Russian].
- Tizengauzen V. The collection of materials relating to the history of the Golden Horde. 1st Edn, Sankt-Peterburg; 1884 (a). [In Russian].
- Kondybaev S. Esen – kazak. Almaty: Arys Press; 2002. [In Kazakh].
- Tizengauzen V. The collection of materials relating to the history of the Golden Horde. 2d Edn, Sankt-Peterburg: Akademia Nauk SSSR Press; 1941 (b). [In Russian].
- Timur-name. In the handwritten fund of Institute of Turcology, H. A. Yasawi International Kazakh-Turkish University, Turkestan, Kazakhstan, p: 1A-3A. [In Uzbek].
- Devin DW. Islamization and native religion in the golden horde. Pennsylvania: The Pennsilvania State University Press; 1994. p. 567–73.
- Malov N. Religion in the golden horde. Saratov: Saratov State University Press; 1998. [In Russian].
- Kenzhetaj D. Кozha Ahmet Yasawi’s worldview. Almaty: Arys Press; 2008. [In Kazakh].
- Gomesh S. History of Kok turk. Ankara: Turksoy Press; 1997. [In Turkish]
- Yıldırım D. Turk flowers: research and review articles. Ankara: Akchag Press; 1998. [In Turkish].
- Grjaznevich P. On the question of the right of the supreme authority in the Muslim community in early islam. Islam, religion, society, state. Moscow: Nauka Press. 1984; p. 161– 75. [In Russian].
- Koran. (Transl. from Arabic by Ju. Krachkovskiy). RostovnaDonu: Feniks Press; 2001. 4:62 [In Russian].
- Kljashtornyj S, Sultanov T. Three thousand years of the chronicle. Almaty: Rauan Press; 1992. [In Russian].
- Judin V. Horde: white, blue, gray, gold. In: Utemish Hajji. Chingiz-name. Alma-Ata: Gylym Press; 1992. [In Russian].
- Izmajlov I. Formation of an ethno-political identity population Jochi Ulus: some elements and traditions. Chronology Jochi Ulus (Golden Horde). From Kalk to Astrakhan. 1223–1566. Kazan: Master Lajn Press; 2002. [In Russian].
- Hanifi Ch. The Conversion of Ghazan Khan to Islam and Its Reflections on Ilkhanid Society According to Jami atTawarikh. The Journal of “Bilig”. 2015:73 [In Turkish].
- Kenzhetaj D. Yaswuitanu: Sygnaki, Zarnuki and Hazini. Materials of the international theoretical conference on Edige and Institute “biy” at the Golden Horde. Turkіstan: Turan Press; 2011. p. 36–37. [In Kazakh].
- Masanov N. History of Kazakhstan: peoples and cultures. Almaty: Daik-Press; 2001. [In Russian].
- Zhandarbek Z. Yasawi time and Kazakh Society. Monograph, Almaty: El-shezhіre; 2006. [In Kazakh].
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.