Total views : 216
A Study on the Correlation of Self-Efficacy, Emotional Intelligence and Interpersonal Skills in Nurses’ Nursing Practice of the Elderly in Communities
Objectives: This study was conducted to identify the effect that the self-efficacy and emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills of nurses at geriatric hospitals have on their practice of geriatric care. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A questionnaire was distributed to 165 nurses working at 9 geriatric hospitals located in city D and regions C and K regions with 200 or more hospital beds. Data was collected from September 15 to December 31, 2014. Using IBM SPSS/WIN 20.0 program, frequency, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson’s correlation coefficients and Multiple regression were analyzed. Findings: Results showed that the practice of geriatric care of nurses at geriatric care had a positive correlation with self-efficacy (r = .47, p<.001), emotional intelligence (r = .56, p<.001) and interpersonal skills (r = .39, p<.001) and the factors that had the most significant effect on the degree of practice, in descending order were emotional intelligence, self-efficacy and age. Explanatory power was 32.4%. Applications/Improvements: With an aging society and a rapid increase in the number of geriatric hospitals, continued studies are recommended to identify predictive factors for geriatric nursing practice in order to realize higher quality geriatric care. Development of programs to improve self-efficacy and emotional intelligence that can, in turn, enhance geriatric nursing practice, is recommended. The age of subjects was identified as a factor affecting geriatric nursing practice. Therefore, measures to draw nurses who have temporarily retired and are reluctant to re-enter the work force back in the field should be developed. Therefore, in order to increase the level of practice, development and application of programs that can enhance emotional intelligence and self-efficacy are needed.
Aged, Emotional Intelligence, Nurse, Nursing Practice, Self-efficacy.
- Kim JH, Jeong HS. Influencing factor on the attitudes toward elders among nurses working at geriatric hospitals: Focusing on empathy. Journal of Korea Contents Association. 2013; 13(2):840–50.
- Kim JH, Park SA. The relationship between coping strategies and a nursing organizational effectiveness in staff nurses.Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration.2002; 8(1):97–105.
- Ko YK, Kang KH. A study on the relationship between selfefficacy, collective-efficacy and job stress in the nursing staff.Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration.2006; 12(2):276–86.
- Morrison W. Newcomer’s relationships: The role of social network ties during socialization. Academy of Management Journal. 2002; 45(6):1149–60.
- Kang HS, Sung KW. Influence of emotional intelligence and organizational commitment on geriatric nursing practice of nurses in long-term care hospitals. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Nursing Society. 2015; 17(1):29–37.
- Lee KH, Song JS. The effect of emotional intelligence on self-efficacy and job stress of nurses: Mediating role of self-efficacy. Journal of the Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2010; 16(1):17–25.
- Kwon YH, Lee HY, Hwang SS. A study on the knowledge, attitude and nursing practice of the nurses-towards the elderly in geriatric hospitals. Journal of the Korea AcademiaIndustrial Cooperation Society. 2013; 14(11):5785–91.
- Sherer M, Maddux JE, Mercandante B, Prentice-Dunn S, Jacobs B, Rogers RW. The efficacy scale: Construction and Validation. Psychological Report. 1982; 51(2):663–71.
- Jung AS. A study on the relations between a health promoting behaviors and self-efficacy in general hospital nurse. [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Hanyang University; 2007.
- Wong CS, Law KS. The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study. The Leadership Quarterly. 2002; 13(3):243–74.
- Choi JH. Relationship between nurse’s emotional intelligence, communication competency and organizational commitment. [Master’s thesis]. Suwon: Ajou University; 2010; 10(4):327–42.
- Warner J. Networking and relationship building profile.MA: HRD Press; 2007. p. 1–11.
- Chung TY. The structural relationship between corporate manager’s life-long education coaching leadership and its member’s problem solving ability and interpersonal ability.[Doctoral Dissertation]. Suwon: Ajou University; 2011; 21(2):123–9.
- Choi HJ. The research is nurse of knowledge, attitude and practice for old age patient. [Master’s thesis]. Seoul: Kyung Hee University; 2002. p. 12–7.
- Moon YS, Han SJ. Impact of self-efficacy and nursing professionalism on organizational commitment in nurses.Journal of the Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2011; 17(1):72–9.
- Han SY, Lee YM. The effect of emotional intelligence on organization communication satisfaction and job satisfaction.Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2011; 12(12):5493–9.
- Han KS, Oh YJ, Lee SJ, Cha SK, Kang HC. Influencing factors on emotional competencies of nurse. Korean Journal of Stress Research. 2009; 17(1):19–25.
- Lee OS, Gu MO, Kim MJ. Influence of emotional intelligence and ego resilience on interpersonal relationship of nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2015; 16(6):3902–10.
- Ko HR, Kim JH. The relationship among emotional intelligence, interpersonal relationship and job satisfaction of clinical nurses. Journal of the Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2014; 20(3):413–23.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. NY: Freeman; 1997; 50(3):801–4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.