Total views : 206
An Efficient Decentralized Routing Framework for Wireless Sensor Networks
Objectives: Wireless Sensor Networks consists of a large number of battery-powered sensor nodes. Each sensor node collects data and forwards them to the sink. If the intermediate node is selected based on its minimal number of hops to the sink, then it will be used more frequently in routing which will lead to its quick expiration. If this happens, few nodes are disconnected from the sink. The energy and data of those nodes will thus be wasted since they have no means to route data. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The proposed method defines the energy definitions for the various categories of a sensor node based on its working and an energy-aware routing scheme named optimal node reliance (ONR) to select intermediate nodes for routing. It calculates the value to which nodes are participating in routing. By calculating the cost of nodes that are involved in routing helps to reduce the usage of a particular intermediate node repeatedly, thus avoiding the faster expiration of such nodes and thus maximizing the lifetime of the network. The optimal routing path and the common node is selected based on the residual energy calculated for each node. Then the packets from different sources are buffered at the common node and send them as a single packet to the sink. This will reduce the number of packets been sent through the same intermediate nodes to reach the sink. Findings: We then analyze the tradeoffs among communication delay, the energy requirement for route calculation, time taken for route calculation of the proposed method and few existing methods. It is observed that the proposed scheme holds good for the above-measured parameters. Application/Improvement: This ensures the selection of optimal routing path between any sensor node and its destination, avoiding the usage a particular intermediate node, thus preserving its energy and data. This eventually maximizes the lifetime of the Wireless sensor network.
Common Node, Optimal Node Reliance (ONR), Wireless Sensor Networks.
- Sabet M, Naji HR. Elsevier: A decentralized energy efficient hierarchical cluster-based routing algorithm for wireless sensor networks. International Journal of Electronics and Communications. 2015; p. 1-33.
- Li S, Zhao S, Wang X, Zhang K, Li L. Adaptive and Secure Load-Balancing Routing Protocol for Service-Oriented Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE. 2014; 8(3):858-67.
- Perkins CE, Bhagwat P. USA: Highly Dynamic Destination-Sequenced Distance-Vector Routing (DSDV) for Mobile Computers, ACM. 1994; p. 234-44.
- Perkins CE, Royer EM. New Orleans, USA: Ad-hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing, Second IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computer Systems and Applications. 1999.
- Johnson DB. DSR: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. 2000; p. 1-25.
- Boyd AWF, Balasubramaniam D, Dearle A. UK: A Collaborative Wireless Sensor Network Routing Scheme for Reducing Energy Wastage, IEEE. 2010.
- Pensas H, Raula R, Vanhala H. Finland: Energy Efficient Sensor Network with Service Discovery for Smart Home Environments, IEEE. 2009.
- Zhang B, Mouftah HT. Energy-aware on-demand routing protocols for wireless ad hoc networks, IEEE. 2006; 12(4):481-94.
- Kwon DY. A Potential Based Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Seoul, Korea: 11th IEEE International Conference on High-Performance Computing and Communications, 2009.
- Xie F, Du L, Bai Y, Chen L. Energy Aware Reliable Routing Protocol for Mobile Adhoc Network, IEEE. 2007.
- Pottie GJ, Kaiser WJ. Wireless Integrated Network Sensors, ACM. 2000; 43(5):51-8.
- Woo A. USA: Taming the underlying challenges of Reliable Multihop Routing in Sensor Networks. 2003; p. 14-27.
- Christos G, Cassandras, Wang Tao, Pourazarm Sepideh. Optimal Routing and Energy Allocation for Lifetime Maximization of Wireless Sensor Networks with Nonideal batteries, IEEE. 2014.
- Sheng Yu, Baoxian Zhang, Cheng Li and Hussein TM. Routing Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks with Mobile Sinks: A Survey, IEEE. 2014.
- Di Tang, Tongtong Li, Jian Ren. Cost-Aware SEcure Routing (CASER) Protocol design for Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE. 2015.
- Vijayan K, Raaza A. A Novel Cluster Arrangement Energy Efficient Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 2(2):1-9.
- Somasundaram K, Saritha S, Ramesh K. Enhancement of Network Lifetime by Improving the Leach Protocol for Large Scale WSN. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(16):1-6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.