Total views : 282
Prospects of Using Oak Wood Integrated Processing Products in Winemaking, Dealing with Shortcomings on the Base of Implementing Oak Wood Derivative Products
Background/Objectives: Our studies were aimed at exploring the use of oak derivative products for treating and correcting wine flaws and faults, in particular, mousy taint. Methods/Statistical Analysis: To assess condition and stages of disease development in selected wine materials and to define traditional schemes of their processing, which will be used later for control, we conducted research of their physical, chemical and microbiological criteria. Additionally, the wine materials were tested on their susceptibility to turbidity caused by the elevated content of multivalent metals salts (metal casse) as well as colloidal (reversible and irreversible), crystallic and biochemical turbidity in accordance with generally accepted methods. The authors also tested the wine materials for a fault "mousy taint" with the help of the so called "soda test". Findings: Use of oak derivative products has a positive effect of treating and eliminating mousy taint and improves organoleptic characteristics. Use of oak derivative products for treating faults and correcting mousy taint in dry and fortified wines should be accompanied by preliminary sulfitation and acidification of wine materials to the concentration of titratable acids at least 6.0 g/dm<sup>3</sup>. To make the processing with oak derivative products even more efficient, it is reasonable to use chips in filtering bags of lavsan or capron fabric, and it is recommended to mix it 2-3 times. Applications/Improvements: Obtained results suggest that the proposed method for treating and correcting wine flaws with oak derivative products is efficient and can be implemented into production.
Assessment of Oak Primary Resources, Oak Aroma Components, Oak Stave, Oak Wood, Tannin and Tanning Substances, Wine and Cognac Barrels.
- Yudin P. Crushed oak wood. Technical specifications. Sersial: Kiev, 1999.
- Lukanin AS, Panakhov ТМ, Sidorenko АN, Zrazhva SG. Intensification of the cognac spirits ageing processes in large reservoirs. Agrarian Science of Azerbaijan. 2013; 1(1):105-08.
- Kordie B, Shatonne P, Sarishvili NG, Oganesyanz LA. Use of oak wood in wine making. Grapes and Wine of Russia. 1993; 5(1):15-16.
- Lukanin OS. New barrel effect. Grapes and Wine. 2002 May; 5(1):20-23.
- Zamora C. Is experimental authorization and regulation of the practice of oak chips still relevant? Vinisude. 2002 Mar; 5(1):24-26.
- Cadahia E, Fernandez de Simon B, Jalocha J. Volatile compounds in Spanish, French, and American oak woods after natural seasoning and toasting. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry. 2003 Sep; 51(20):5923-32.
- Cadahia E, Munoz L, Fernandez de Simon B, Garcia-Vallejo MC. Changes in low molecular weight phenolic compounds in Spanish, French, and American oak woods during natural seasoning and toasting. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry. 2001 Mar; 49(4): 1790-98.
- Postnaya AN. Theoretical and practical fundamentals for prediction prevention and elimination of grape wines flaws. Doctoral Thesis: Kishinev, 1991.
- Rodopulo AK. On the reaction of acetamide formation in wine. Winemaking and Winegrowing in USSR. 1952; 12(1):14-16.
- Saenko NF. Yeast-like fungi Brettanomyces – dangerous invader in winemaking. Winemaking and Winegrowing in USSR. 1980; 3(1):25-28.
- Giashvili DS, Kahniashvili GD, Edjibiya LL. The method of treating wine from mousy taint. Georgian Scientific and Research Institute of Food Industry: Tbilisi, 1985.
- Valuiko GG, Sholts-Kulikov EP. Theory and practice of wine tasting. Tavrida: Simpheropol, 2001.
- Voronin GP. Wine and alcoholic beverages. IPK Publisher of standards: Moscow, 2000.
- Fernаndez de Simn B. Cadaha E, Sanz M, Poveda P. Volatile Compounds and sensorial characterization of wines from four Spanish denominations of origin, aged in Spanish Rebollo (Quercus pyrenaica Willd.) oak wood barrels. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry. 2008; 56(19):9046-55.
- Mekhuzla NA. Collection of international methods of analysis and evaluation of wines and musts. Food industry: Moscow, 1993.
- Valuiko GG. Collection of technological instructions rules and guidelines on winemaking. Agropromizdat: Moscow, 1985.
- Valuiko GG, Zinchenko VI, Mekhuzla NA. Grape wines stabilization. Tavrida: Crimea, 1999.
- Chatonnet P. Origin and treatment of wooden cooperage: the origin of Incidence and drying method on composition and quality of oak cooperage. Internation Journal of Wine and Vinology Science. 1992; 1(1):39-49.
- Puech J-L, Prida A. Electronic language applied to the cooperage. Oenologists Review of Oenological Techniques of Wine. 2003; 109(1):34-37.
- Crettenand J. Tasting sheets in international wine competition. Wine and Vinology Sciences. 1999; 1(1):105-12.
- Vivas N. Manuel cooperage for the use of cask users. Feret Editions: Bordeaux, 2002.
- Kordie B, Shatonne P, Sarishvili NG, Oganesyants LA. Use of oak wood in wine making. Grapes and Wine of Russia. 1993; 5(1):15-16.
- Lukanin AS, Bailuk SI, Panakhov TM. The quality of cognac spirits after ageing with oak derivative products. ONAHT: Odessa, 2011.
- Nilov VI, Skurikhin IM. The chemistry of winemaking and cognac production. Food Industry: Moscow, 1960.
- Flanzy C. Oenologie. Fundaments of Science and Technology: Paris, 1998.
- Krechetov IV. Wood drying. Science: Moscow, 1949.
- Panakhov TM, Lukanin AS, Zrazhva SG, Bailuk SI. The method of wine production. Publishing House, Food Industry: Azerbaijan, 2012.
- Skurikhin IM. Chemistry of cognac and brandy. DeLi Print: Moscow, 2005.
- Skurikhin IM. On the chemical processes during cognac spirits ageing in oak barrels. Winemaking and Winegrowing in USSR. 1960; 2(1):8-15.
- Skurikhin IM, Efimov BN. Aromatic aldehydes in cognac spirits: Biochemical base of cognac production. Nauka: Moscow, 1972.
- Zefirov NS. Chemical encyclopedia. Publishing House, Large Russian Encyclopedia: Moscow, 1998.
- Gomonai MV. Technology of wood processing. Moscow State Forest University: Moscow, 2002.
- Krushna Yadav DK, Durgannavar NA, Ravi Y, Shukla RN, Shilpa K. Assessment of effectiveness of food safety adoption within the wine industry in Karnataka, India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(6):1-3.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.