Total views : 227
A Review on Various DPM Traceback Schemes to Detect DDoS Attacks
Objectives: Network security deals with the various attacks, in which distributed denial of service (DDoS) is a kind of attacks are thriving every day in networks. The specified users of node or theirs network information’s are hidden by Denial of Service (DoS) attack. The aim is to detect the source of attack using improved marking schemes. Method: The nodes and networks are very often affected by the Distributed Denial of Service attack (DDoS) from the category of DoS attack. The affected path of DDoS attacks are identified by various IP trace back schemes. Packet marking approach is one type to detect the source of attack from the identified node. Finding: PPM and DPM techniques were used to detect the DDoS attack but the performance should be improved in both marking scheme. In DPM marking process done by ingress router to avoid marking process in subsequent egress router. Further DPM is improved with hash functions which is also an overloaded in router. MOD server concepts are used to increase the scalability using Dynamic DPM approach. Improvement: To reduce the trace back mechanism procedure and to concern about the memory requirement using Enhanced DPM and DADPM method is considered when detecting the source of attack from the victim node.
DADPM, DDoS, DPM, IP Trace back, MOD Server, Source of Attack.
- Chen S, Song Q. Perimeter-based defense against high bandwidth DDoS attacks, IEEE Transactions On Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2005 Jun; 16(6):526–37.
- Achar RK, Babu MS, Arun M. Border gateway protocol performance and its protection against disturbed denial of service attack. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2015 Jan; 8(S2). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8iS2/59169.
- Jin G, Yang J. Deterministic packet marking based on redundant decomposition for IP traceback. IEEE Communications Letters. 2006 Mar; 10(3):204–6.
- Uddin M, Alsaqour R, Abdelhaq M. Intrusion detection system to detect DDoS attack in Gnutella hybrid P2P network.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013 Feb; 6(2). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2013/v6i2/30585.
- Gong C, Sarac K. A more practical approach for single packet ip traceback using packet logging and marking.IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems.2008 Oct; 19(10):1310–24.
- Thing VLL, Sloman M, Dulay N. Locating network domain entry and exit point/path for DDoS attack traffic. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service. 2009 Sep; 6(3).
- Yang M-H, Yang M-C. RIHT: A novel hybrid IP traceback scheme. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security. 2012 Apr, 7(2):789–97.
- Florance G. Survey of IP traceback methods in Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2015 Jul; 4(7):6319–25.
- Gibish S, Babu PU. Survey of IP traceback mechanisms to overcome DoS attacks. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering.2015 Dec; 4(12):427–30.
- Yu S, Zhou W, Guo S, Guo M. A feasible IP traceback framework through dynamic deterministic packet marking. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 2016 May; 65(5):1418–27.
- Ahamad T, Aljumah A. Detection and defense mechanism against DDoS in MANET. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(33). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/ v8i33/80152.
- Murugesan V, Shalinie M, Neethimani N. A brief survey of IP traceback methodologies. 2014; 11(9):197–216.
- Sharifi AM, Amirgholipour SK, Alirezanejad M, Aski BS, Ghiami M. Availability challenge of cloud system under DDOS Attack. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Jun; 5(6). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2012/ v5i6/30488.
- Youm H-Y. Overview of traceback mechanism and their ability. IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems.2011; E94.D(11):2077–86.
- Aghaei-Foroushani V, Zincir-Heywood AN. On evaluating IP traceback schemes: A practical perspective. 2013 IEEE Security and Privacy Workshops; 2013. p. 127–34. DOI 10.1109/SPW.2013.13.
- Aghaei-Foroushani V, Zincir-Heywood AN. IP traceback through (authenticated) deterministic flow marking: An empirical evaluation. EURASIP Journal on Information Security. 2013; 5:1–24.
- Singh K, Singh P, Kumar K. A systematic review of IP traceback schemes for denial of service attacks. Elsevier Computers and Security. 2016; 56:111–39.
- Kiremire AR, Brust MR, Phoha VV. Using network motifs to investigate the influence of network topology on PPMbased IP traceback schemes. Computer Networks. 2014; 72(2014):14–32.
- Srinath SL, Pillai AS. Adaptive interplay of DVS and DPM for power consumption reduction in real-time embedded processors. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(30). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i30/99038.
- Parashar A, Radhakrishnan R. A review of packet marking IP trace back schemes. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2013 Apr; 67(6):15–20.
- Belenky A, Ansari N. Tracing multiple attackers with Deterministic Packet Marking (DPM). Proceeding IEEE IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing; 2003 Aug. p. 49–52.
- Xiang Y, Zhou W, Guo M. Flexible deterministic packet marking: An IP traceback system to find the real source of attacks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2009 Apr; 20(4):567–80.
- Xiang Y, Zhou W. Mark-aided distributed filtering by using neural network for DDoS defense. Proceeding IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM); 2005.
- Devi BSK, Subbulakshmi T. A comparative analysis of security methods for DDoS attacks in the cloud computing environment. Indian Journal of Science and Technology.2016 Sep; 9(34).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.