Total views : 200
Evaluating the Performance of Superpave Graded Bituminous Mix
Background/Objectives: In all over India, the bituminous mixes are designed based on the fulfillness of laboratory standards. The existing method is not focusing on field condition, they simulate only time based requirements. Methods: To improvise the quality and performance of bituminous mix, the product of SHRP asphalt research program has developed a new system called Superpave (Superior Performance Pavements). Superpave design mix will optimize the asphalt mixtures resistance in deformation, fatigue, cracking and rutting. The Superpave system was created to make the best technology to suit the environmental condition with the better performance compared to Marshall Methods. Findings: In Superpave design only 10% of flat and elongated aggregates are acceptable. The main objectives of this study to develop, the performance based design mix for Indian condition using Superpave graded bituminous mix. This study is mainly focusing on the Superpave graded bituminous mixes. The various factors such as, Stability, Flow, Voids in Mineral Aggregates (VMA), Voids in Filled Bitumen (VFB) and Air Voids (Va) are compared with Marshall hammer and Hugo Compactor. Applications/ Improvements: In this Study it suggest that, the using of Hugo Hammer gives improving in strength and Increasing effects in Volumetric Analysis.
Marshall Hammer and Hugo Compactor, Superpave, VMA, VFB, Va.
- Bose DS, Sridhar R, Kamaraj C, Meena R. Performance based mix design using Superpave gyratory compactor. New Delhi: Central Road Research Institute; 2003.
- Khan KM, Kamal MA. Impact of superpave mix design method on rutting behaviour of flexible pavements. The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. 2008; 33(2):379–90.
- Lokesh YA. A comparative study on the effect of compaction on strength and physical properties of stone matrix asphalt compacted by marshall compaction and superpave gyratory compaction method. 2014; 4(7):209–11.
- Sarika P, Sandara AK. Comparing properties of bituminous concrete mixes prepared using MoRTH and superpave gradations. IJERT. 2015; 4(1):178–85.
- Sridhar R, Kamaraj C, Bose S, Nanda PK, Singh M. Effect of gradation and Compactive effort on the properties of dense bituminous macadam mixes. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 2007; 66(1):56–9.
- National Cooperative Highway Research Program, NCHRP Report 673. A manual for design of hot mix asphalt with commentary. Washington, DC: Transportation Research Board; 2011.
- Boyapati B, Kumar RP. Prioritization of pavement maintenance based on pavement condition index. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 8(14):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.