Total views : 560
MR Damper Characterization for Implementation of Semi-active Suspension Control
The paper proposes experimental method to characterize the Magnetorheological (MR) damper for realization of the suspension control for multi-axle military vehicle. An ac-curate model of MR damper based on the laws of physics to be embedded in real time controller for suspension system increases the computational load and implementation intricacies attracting higher costs and attendant issues. This paper presents a novel practical based approach to characterize MR dampers using simple experimental set up which, additionally, with the help of simulation technique, aids to assess the dynamic range of MR damper for various parameters of suspension system for vibration control in respect of multi-axle vehicle vehicles. The paper reports experimental investigation for characterization of MR damper through quarter car model. Equivalent damping coefficient is estimated using work diagrams. The governing equations of a quarter car model are formulated analytically and the damping coefficients obtained by experimental investigation have been used for simulation study. Performance analysis in terms of body acceleration, amplitude gain, suspension working space and normalized tyre forces has been carried out. The analysis reveals that with variation of current, there is effective reduction in amplification of the sprung mass displacement at the sprung mass fundamental frequency and improvement in ride comfort. Proposed approach is helpful to achieve better controllability of the MR damper without re-lying on the software based techniques for accounting the behaviour of MR fluid. The method finds practical application for implementation in military multi-axle vehicles.
MR Damper, Military Multi-axle Vehicles, Quarter Car, Simulation, Suspension Control.
- Choi SB, Nam MH, Lee BK. Vibration control of a MR seat damper for commercial vehicles Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2000; 11(12): 936–44.
- Lee Y, Jeon D. A study on the vibration attenuation of the driver seat using an MR fluid damper Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 2002; 13(7–8):437–41.
- Han YM, Nam MH, Han SS, Lee HG, Choi SB. Vibration control evaluation of a commercial vehicle featuring MR seat damper. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2002; 13(9):575–9.
- Liao WH, Lai CY. Harmonic analysis of a magnetorheological damper for vibration control. Smart Materials and Structures. 2002; 11(2):288–96.
- Giua M, Melas C, Seatzu G, Usai G. Design of a predictive semiactive suspension system. Vehicle System Dynamics. 2004; 41(4):277–300.
- Hudh AK, Jamaluddin H. Effects of control techniques and damper constraint on the performance of a semi-active magnetorheological damper. International Journal on Vehicle Autonomous Systems. 2005; 3(3–4):2–4.
- Hitchcock GH, Wang X, Gordaninejad F. A new bypass magnetorheological fluid damper. Journal of Vibration and Acoustics. 2006; 129(5):641–7.
- Ma XQ, Rakheja S, Su CY. Development and relative assessments of models for characterizing the current dependent hysteresis properties of magnetorheological fluid dampers. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2007; 18(5):487–502.
- Aydar G, Evrensel CA, Gordaninejad F, Fuchs A. A low force Magnetorheological (MR) fluid damper design, fabrication and characterization. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2007; 18(12):1155–60.
- Els PS, Theron NJ. The ride comfort vs. handling compromise for off-road vehicles. Journal of Terramechanics. 2007; 44(4):303–17.
- Mao M, Hu W, Choi Y, Wereley NM. A magnetorheological damper with bifold valves for shock and vibration mitigation. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2007; 18(12):1227–34.
- Wereley NM. Nondimensional Herschel Bulkley analysis of magnetorheological and electrorheological dampers. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2008; 19(3):257–68.
- Bajkowskia J, Nachmanb J, Shillorb M, Sofoneac M. A model for a magnetorheological damper. Mathematical and Computer Modelling. 2008;48(1–2):56–68.
- Sung KG, Choi SB. Effect of an electromagnetically optimized magnetorheological damper on vehicle suspension control performance. Journal of Automobile. 2008; 222(12):2307–9.
- Tsouroukdissian AR, Ikhouane F, Rodellar J, Luo N. Modeling and identification of a small-scale magnetorheological damper. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2008; 26(1):1–1.
- Choi SB, Sung KG. Vibration control of magnetorheological damper system subjected to parameter variations. International Journal of Vehicle Design. 2008; 46(1):11–15.
- Zapateiro M, Luo N, Karimi HR, Vehí J. Vibration control of a class of semiactive suspension system using neural network and backstepping techniques. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. 2009; 23(6):1946–53.
- Costa E, Branco C. Continuum electromechanics of a magnetorheological damper including the friction force effects between the MR fluid and device walls analytical modelling and experimental validation. Sensors and Actuators. 2009; 155(1):82–8.
- Ngatu GT, Hu W, Wereley NM. Adaptive snubber type magnetorheological fluid elastomeric helicopter lag damper. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. 2010; 48(3):598–610 .
- Cesmeci S, Engin T. Modeling and testing of a field controllable Magnetorheological fluid damper. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. 2010; 52(8):1036–46.
- Sandu C, Southward S, Richards R. Comparison of linear, nonlinear, hysteretic, and probabilistic models for magnetorheological fluid dampers. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control. 2010; 132(6):1–18.
- Boada MJL, Calvo JA, Boada BL, Díaz V. Modeling of a magnetorheological damper by recursive lazy learning, International Journal of NonLinear Mechanics. 2011; 46(3):479–85.
- Paciello V, Pietrosanto A. Magnetorheological dampers a new approach of characterization. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. 2011; 60(5):1718–23.
- Zhu X, Jing X, Cheng L. Magnetorheological fluid dampers: A review on structure design and analysis. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 2012; 23(8):839–73.
- Kalaivani R, Sudhagar K, Lakhsmi P. Neural network based vibration control for vehicle active suspension system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1). DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i1/83806.
- Kang H, Pyun JJ, Kim HS. A study on fire power performances of combat vehicle with suspension systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S1):202–5. DOI: 10.1748/ijst/2015/V8iSI/57927.
- Santos JDL, Menendez RM, Mendoza RR, Martinez JCT, Sename O, Dugard L. Magnetorheological damper an experimental study. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures; 2012.
- Goldasz J, Sapinski B. Nondimensional characterization of flow mode magnetorheological/electrorheological fluid dampers. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures; 2012.
- Prabakar RS, Sujatha C, Narayanan S. Response of a quarter car model with optimal magnetorheological damper parameters. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2013; 332(2):2191–206.
- Imaduddina F, Mazlanb SA, Zamzuric H. A design and modelling review of rotary magnetorheological damper. Materials and Design. 2013; 51:575–91.
- Javad M, Keshavarzi A. Chaotic vibrations of a non-linear air suspension system under consecutive half sine speed bump. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(S3):72–84. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2015/v8is3/52684A.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.