Total views : 7452
Efficient Algorithm for Early Detection of Myocardial Ischemia using PCA based Features
Objective: The purpose of this work is to develop an efficient algorithm for uncovering the myocardial ischemia at early stages from ECG signal using Principal Component Analysis (PCA). Methods/Statistical Analysis: The proposed work mainly involves three stages namely denoising, extracting features and classification. The removal of noise from ECG signal is achieved by applying wavelet threshold technique. The extraction of clinically useful features is carried out by selecting ST-T complex from ECG beat samples followed by dimensionality reduction using PCA. These features are fed to MLP, SVM and KNN classifier models for diagnosing myocardial ischemia at early stages. The performance of classifier models are validated with ECG data obtained from physiobank database in terms of performance measures such as classification accuracy, sensitivity and positive prediction accuracy. Findings: The comparisons of experimental results have shown that the MLP classifier model has great scope for diagnosing myocardial ischemia at early stages. The MLP classifier model has resulted in classification accuracy of 90.51%, PPA of 93.8% and sensitivity of 96.19%. Application/Improvements: The proposed PCA based method has shown an improved accuracy of 90.51% in comparison with classifiers developed by other researchers.
Artificial Neural Network, Discrete Wavelet Transform, Principal Component Analysis, Support Vector Machine.
- Papaloukas C, Fotiadis D, Likas A, Michalis L. Automated methods for ischemia detection in long duration ECGs. Cardiovascular Reviews and Reports. 2003; 24(6):313–20.
- Papaloukas C, Fotiadis DI. An ischemia detection method based on artificial neural network. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine. 2002; 24(2):167–78.
- Silipo R, Marchesi C. Artificial neural networks for automatic ECG analysis. Signal Processing. 1998; 46(5):1417–25.
- Mohamad FN, Ali MSAM, Jahidin AH, Saaid MF, Noor MZH. Principal component analysis and arrhythmia recognition using Elman neural network. Proceedings of 4th IEEE Control and System Graduate Research Colloquium; 2013. p. 141–6.
- Sindhubargavi R, Sindhu MY, Saravanan. Spectrum sensing using energy detection technique for cognitive radio networks using PCA technique. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Apr; 7(4S):40–5.
- Garg P, Kumar D. Image pattern extraction and compression using pixel neighborhood and weighted PCA algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(28):1–5.
- Rashida B, Rabbani MA. An automatic facial localization tracking identification biometric system through PCA and wavelet distribution in 3D Mesh Environment. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(32):1–13.
- Ghorbanian P, Ghaffari A, Jalali A, Nataraj C. Heart arrhythmia detection using continuous wavelet transform and principal component analysis with neural network classifier. Computing in cardiology. IEEE; USA. 2010 Sep. p. 669–72.
- Joo S, Choi K, Huh SJ. Prediction of ventricular tachycardia by neural network using parameters of heart rate variability. IEEE Computing in Cardiology. 2010 Sep; 26(5):585–8.
- Monika P, Venkatesan D. DI-ANN clustering algorithm for pruning in MLP neural network. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(16):1–6.
- Radhamani E, Krishnaveni K. Diagnosis and evaluation of ADHD using MLP and SVM Classifiers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(19):1–7.
- Ghongade RB, Ghatol AA. Deciding optimal number of exemplars for designing an ECG pattern classifier using MLP. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 Apr; 2(4):40–2.
- Javadi M, Ebrahimpour R, Sajedin A, Faridi S, Zakemejad S. Improving ECG classification accuracy using an ensemble of neural network modules. PLOS One. 2011 Oct; 6(10):1–13.
- Physiobank, Physiotoolkit and Physionet: Components of a new research resource for complex physiologic signals. Available from: http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/101/23/e215
- Arafat S, Dohrmann M, Skubic M. Classification of coronary artery disease stress ECGs using uncertainty modelling. Proceedings of ICSC Congress on Computational Intelligence Methods and Applications; USA. 2005.
- Karimi M, Amirfattahi R, Sadri S, Marvasti SA. Noninvasive detection and classification of coronary artery occlusions using wavelet analysis of heart sounds with neural networks. Proceedings of the 3rd IEE International Seminar on Medical Applications of Signal Processing; London. 2005. p. 117–20.
- Kim WS, Jin SH, Park YK, Choi HM. A study on development of muti-parametric measure of HRV diagnosing cardiovascular disease. Proceedings of World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering; Springer, Korea. 2007. p. 3480–3.
- Zhao Z, Ma C. An intelligent system for noninvasive diagnosis of coronary artery disease with EMD-TEO and BP neural network. IEEE, International Workshop on Geoscience and Remote Sensing and International Workshop on Education Technology and Training; Shanghai. 2008. p. 631–5.
- Babaoglu I, Findik O, Ulker E. A comparison of feature selection models utilizing binary particle swarm optimization and genetic algorithm in determining coronary artery disease using SVM. Expert Systems Applications. 2010 Apr; 37(4):3177–83.
- Babaoglu I, Findik O, Bayrak M. Effects of principal component analysis on assessment of coronary artery diseases using SVM. Expert Systems Applications. 2010 Mar; 37(3):2182–5.
- Dua S, Du X, Sree SV, Ahamed TVI. Novel classification of coronary artery disease using heart rate variability analysis. Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology. 2012; 12(04):1–19.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.