Total views : 198
Effectiveness of Fuzzy Logic-based FACTS Controller and Classical Controller in Enhancement of Power System Dynamic Stability – A Comparative Study
Performances of Fuzzy Logic based impedance types FACTS controllers and classical controllers in damping power system oscillations have been studied and their effectiveness have been compared. Different FACTS devices are considered, namely (i) Thyristor Controlled Series Compensator (TCSC), (ii) Thyristor Controlled Phase Shifter (TCPS) (iii) Static VAR Compensators (SVC), and their combinations. Mamdani type fuzzy inference system is used. PSS, Lead-Lag and proportional type classical controllers have been considered. Performances of the controller have been demonstrated through time domain simulation studies. Simulation results have been compared and conclusions have been drawn. Results show that the Fuzzy Logic controllers have excellent and comparatively better potential in damping power system oscillations.
FACTS devices such as SVC, Power System Stabilizer (PSS), TCSC, TCPS and Fuzzy logic (FL) Controller.
- Noroozian M, Andersson G. Damping of Power System Oscillations by use of Controllable Components. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 1994; 9(4):2046–54.
- Hammad AE. Analysis of Power System Stability Enhancement by Static VAr. Compensator. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1986; 1(4):222–7.
- Oliveira S. Synchronizing and Damping Torque Coefficients and Power System Steady-State Stability as Affected by Static VAr. Compensator. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1994; 9 (1):109–19.
- Zhou EZ. Application of Static VAr. Compensators to Increases Power System Damping. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1993; 8(2):655–61.
- Angquist L, Lundin B, Samuelsson J. Power Oscillation Damping Using Controlled Reactive Power Compensation - A Comparison between Series and Shunt Approaches. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1993; 8(2):687–700.
- Nyati S, Wegner CA, Delmerico RW, Baker DR, Piwko RJ, Edris A. Effectiveness of thyristor controlled series capacitor in enhancing power system dynamics: an analog simulator study. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 1994; 9(2):1018–27.
- Xing K, Kusic G. Application of thyristor-controlled phase shifters to minimize real power losses and augment Stability of power systems. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 1988; 3(4):792–8.
- Mathur RM, Basati RS. A thyristor controlled static phase shifter for AC power transmission. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1981; 100(5):2650–5.
- Heffron WG, Phillips R. Effect of a modern amplifying voltage regulator on under excited operation of large turbine generator. Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1952; 71(1) Part-III.
- Mello FPD. Concordia. Concept of Synchronous Machine Stability as Affected by Excitation Control. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. 1969; 88(4):316–29.
- Datta S, Roy AK. Fuzzy Logic Based Coordinated PSS and FACTS Controller for Enhancement of Power System Dynamic Stability. International Conference on System Dynamics and Control. MIT, Manipal, Karnataka. 2010. p. 1084–90.
- Ahmadzadeh A, Mortazavi SS, Saeedian A. A novel method of coordinating PSSs and FACTS Devices in Power System Stability Enhancement. WSEAS Transactions on Power System. 2009; 5(5):177–88.
- Tambey N, Kothari ML. Unified power flow controller based damping controllers for damping low frequency oscillations in a power system. Annual Paper Meeting, Ranchi. 2003; 84:35–41.
- Datta S. Artificial Intelligence Based STATCOM Controller for Enhancement Power System Dynamic Stability. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2014; 9(24):28101–13.
- Kevin M, Passino, Yurkovich S. Fuzzy Control. Addison Wesley Longman, Menlo Park, CA. 1998.
- Datta S, Roy AK. Fuzzy Logic Based STATCOM Controller for Enhancement of Power System Dynamic Stability. 6th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering. 2010. p. 294–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.