Total views : 1844
Numerical Simulation of Internal Cooling Effect of Gas Turbine Blades using Twisted Tape Inserts
Objectives: In gas turbine blades, heat transmission can be improved by using twisted tape inserts. In the present paper, cooling effect of a gas turbine blade can be improved by using suitable twisted tape configurations. Methods/Statistical Analysis: It was found from validation test that the twisted tape is a favourable technique for heat transfer augmentation. It was also found that heat transfer can be enhanced in the cases with suitable width ratio of twisted tapes. CFD Results show that the results are satisfactory when compared with the reference journal paper. Simulations are carried out for different width ratios of twisted tape inserts. Findings: Computation results showed that by employing twisted tape inserts of width ratio (W) = 0.3 provides better cooling effect compared to the others. The blade temperature is decreased by 34% at the leading edge. Application/Improvements: All these established that influence of cooling over gas turbine blade particularly at the leading edge can be enhanced with suitable twisted tape insert configurations.
Leading Edge, Numerical Analysis, Turbine Blade Cooling, Twisted Tape Insert.
- Manglik RM, Bergles AE. Heat transfer and pressure drop correlations for twisted tape inserts in isothermal tubes: Part I - Laminar flows. ASME J Heat Transfer. 1993; 115(4):881–9.
- Manglik RM, Bergles AE. Heat transfer and pressure drop correlations for twisted tape inserts in isothermal tubes: Part II - Transition and turbulent flows. ASME J Heat Transfer. 1993; 115:890–6.
- Martemianov S, Okulov V. On heat transfer enhancement in swirl pipe flows. Int J Heat Mass Transfer. 2004; 47(1011):2379–93.
- Date AW. Prediction of fully developed flow in a tube containing a twisted tape. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 1974; 17:845–59.
- Date AW, Saha SK. Numerical prediction of laminar flow and heat transfer characteristics in a tube fitted with regularly spaced twisted-tape elements. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. 1990; 11:346–54.
- Chang SW, Jan YJ, Liou JS. Turbulent heat transfer and pressure drop in tube fitted with serrated twisted tape. Int J Therm Sci. 2007; 46:506–18.
- Kini CR, Shenoy BS, Sharma NY. A computational conjugate thermal analysis of HP stage turbine blade cooling with innovative cooling passage geometries. Journal of Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science. 2011 Jul; 2192(1):2168–73.
- Kini CR, Shenoy BS, Sharma NY. Computational conjugate heat transfer analysis of HP stage turbine blade cooling: Effect of turbulator geometry in helicoidal cooling duct. Proceedings of World Academy of Science Engineering and Technology Special Journal Issue. Issue No: 0070; 2012. p. 645–52.
- Kini CR, Shenoy BS, Sharma NY. Numerical analysis of gas turbine HP stage blade cooling with new cooling duct geometries. International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering. 2012; 5(4):1057–62.
- Kini CR, Yalamarty SS, Mendonca RM, Sharma NY, Shenoy BS. CHT analysis of trailing edge region cooling in HP stage turbine blade. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(6):1–6.
- Kini CR, Shenoy B S, Sharma NY. Thermo-structural analysis of HP stage gas turbine blades having helicoidal cooling ducts. International Journal of Advancements in Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering. 2014; 1(2):57–60.
- Kini CR, Sharma NY, Shenoy BS. Thermo-structural investigation of gas turbine blade provided with helicoidal passages. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; (6):1–6.
- Kini CR, Shenoy BS, Sharma NY. (In press). Effect of grooved cooling passage near the trailing edge region for HP stage gas turbine blade - A numerical investigation. Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics. An International Journal; 2016.
- Guo J, Fan A, Zhang X, Liu W. A numerical study on heat transfer and friction factor characteristics of laminar flow in a circular tube fitted with centre-cleared twisted tape. Int J of Thermal Sciences. 2011; 50:1263–70.
- Choi J, Mhetras S, Han J. Film cooling and heat transfer on two cutback trailing edge models with internal perforated blockages. Journal of Heat Transfer by ASME. 2008; 130(1): 012201–13.
- Li X, Wang T. Two phase flow simulation of mist film cooling on turbine blades with conjugate internal cooling. Journal of Heat Transfer. 2008; 130:102901–8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.