Total views : 271
Effectiveness of Alkali Activators on Nano Structured Flyashin Geopolymer Mortar
Background/Objectives: The cement industry is seeking ways to reduce the energy resource consumption and environmental load due to cement production. The usage of Supplementary Cementitious Material (SCMs) as a partial replacement of ordinary Portland cement can reduce its environmental load as well as the reduction in construction cost. Methods: In this work it is intended to analyze the mortarcube compressive strength by replacing the cement by 50% of Raw Fly ash and Sieved fly ash, with silica 10, 30% with 12 M Sodium Hydroxide and with and without the addition of lime 10, 30% in one series. Similarly, another set of studied with the ratio of 1:2.5 Sodium Hydroxide 12 M and Sodium Silicate asalkali activators to know the characteristics of the modified mortar. The mortar specimens curedin oven for 24 hrs at 60°c and then left for air curing for predetermined ages at 3, 7, 14, 28 days of curing. The micro structural test was conducted to know their morphological characteristics, particle size and their chemical compositions of cement, Raw fly ash and Sieved fly ash. Findings: Results from the work showed that modified mortar prepared using Sieved fly ashgave 9% increase in compressive strength than RFA. The higher percentage of replacements oflime is observed to increase the strength of Sieved Fly Ash (SFA) mortars. SEM results show that SFA sample taken at different resolution indicate smallest particle size to be 106.4 nm, and EDX results show that reducing the particle size has reduced the carbon content by 10% improved the properties of fly ash. Application/Improvements: Use of sieved fly ash, increases the strength in geopolymer properties is more advantageous in the construction industry for utilizing the fly ash in largequantity and thereby reducing the use of cement content also minimize the CO2 emission during the production in the cement industry.
Alkali Activated Mortar, Compressive Strength, Nano Structure Materials, Oven Curing, Sieved Fly Ash
- Akshatha GP, Anantham S. Ball milling of Class F Indian fly ash obtained from thermal power station. International Journal of Environmental Engineering. 2012 May; 2(2):57–62.
- Barbhuiya SA, Gbagbo JK. Properties of fly ash concrete modified hydrated lime and silica fume. Construction and Building Materials. 2009 Oct;23(10):3233–9.
- Poon CS, Lam L, Wong YL. A study on high strength concrete prepared with large volumes of low calcium fly ash. Cement and Concrete Research. 2000 Mar; 30(3):447–55.
- Ravikumar D, Sulaphapeethamparan, Neithalath N. Structural and strength of NaOH activated concretes containing fly ash or GGBFS as the sole binder. Cement and Concrete Composites. 2010 Jul; 32(6):399–410.
- Djwantoro H, Shen S, Fung. Fly ash based geo polymer mortar incorporating bottom ash. Modern Applied Science. 2010 Jan; 4(1):1–9.
- Van HX, Deventer JSJ. The geo polymerization of alumino silicate minerals. International Journal of Mineral Processing. 2000 Jun; 59(3):247–66.
- Sahoo S, Das BB, Rath AK, Kar BB. Acid, alkali and chloride resistance of high volume fly ash concrete. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1–12.
- Mahendran K, Arunachelam N. Performance of fly ash and copper slag based geopolymer concrete. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–6.
- Ahmaruzzman S. Review on the utilization of flyash. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science. 2010 Jun; 36(3):327–63.
- Djwantoro H, Chungcheak C, Lee CH. Strength and setting times of low calcium fly ash-based geopolymer mortar. Journal of Modern Applied Science. 2008 Jul; 2(4):1–9.
- Singh M, Garg M. Cementitious binder from fly ash and other industrial wastes. Cement and Concrete Research. 1999 Mar; 29(3):309–14.
- Chanh NV, Trung BD, Tuan DV. Recent research geopolymer concrete. The 3rd ACF Internation Conference; 2008. p. 235–41.
- Siddique R. Effect of fine aggregate replacement with class F fly ash on the mechanical properites of concrete. Cement and Concrete Research. 2003 Apr; 33(4):539–47.
- Bakharev T. Resistance of geopolymer materials to acid attack. Cement and Concrete Research. 2005 Apr; 35(4):658–70.
- Oner A, Akyuz, S, Yildiz R. An experimental study on strength development of concrete containing fly ash and optimum usage of fly ash in concrete. Cement and Concrete Research. 2005 Jun; 35(6):1165–71.
- Ati CD. Strength properties of high volume fly ash roller compacted and workable concrete and influence for curing condition. Cement and Concrete research. 2005 Jun; 35(6):1112–21.
- Said AM, Zeidan MS, Bassuoni MT, Tian. ASTM C 150 – 07 ASTM standard specification for portland cement. Annual Book of ASTM standards. USA: American Society of Testing and Materials; 2007.
- Panias F, Ioana P, Giannopoulou, Perraki T. Effect of synthesis parametres on the mechanical properties of fly ash based geopolymers. Colloids and Surfaces. 2007 Jul; 301(1-3):246–54.
- IS:4031-14, Indian Standard Specification for method of physical tests for hydraulic cement. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 1988.
- El-Mahllawy MS. ASTM C109 /C109MASTM standard test method for compressive strength of hydraulic cementmortars (using 2-in. or [50-mm] cube specimens). Annual Book of ASTM Standards. USA: American Society of Testing and Materials; 1995.
- Jiminez AF, Palomo F. Composition and microstructure and alkali activated fly ash binder Effect of the activator. Cement and Concrete Research. 2005 Oct; 35(10):1984–92.
- IS:1727, Indian Standard Methods of Test for Pozzolanic Materials. New Delhi: Bureau of Indian Standards; 1967.
- Muthadhi A, Vanjinathan J, Durai1 D. Experimental investigations on geo polymer concrete based on class c fly ash. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(5):1–5.
- Somaratna J, Ravikumar D, Neithalath N. Response of alkali activated flyash mortars to microwave curing, Cement and Concrete Research. 2010 Dec; 40(12):1688–96.
- Qian JS, Shi CJ, Wang Z. Activation of blended cement containing fly ash. Cement and Concrete Research. 2001Aug; 31(8):1121–7.
- Elkhadiri I, Diouri A, Boukhari A, Aride J, Puertas F. Mechanical behavior of various mortars made by combined fly ash and limestone in Moroccan Portland cement. Cement and Concrete Research. 2002 Oct; 32(10):1597–603.
- Paul KT, Satpathy SK, Manna I. Preparation and characaterization of nano structured materials from fly ash: A waste from thermal power station by high energy ball milling. Nanoscale Research Letter. 2007 Jul; 2(8):397–404.
- Thakur RN, Ghosh S. Effect of mix composition on compressive strength and microstructure of fly ash based geopolymer composite. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2009 Jan; 4(4):1–3.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.