Total views : 228
A Simulation Analysis Study on the Mechanical Behavior of a Mode 1 Test Specimen Composed of CFRP
Background/Objectives: CFRP has been utilized widely at various fields at the modern industry. This paper investigates the behavior of cracks propagated at mode 1 in the joined CFRP through simulation analysis. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The joined structure for mode 1 composed according to thickness is applied under the tensile load. The specimens with four kinds of thicknesses are modeled by three dimensions. The joined specimen model of mode 1 is composed with upper and lower sides. As the contact condition is maintained on the area touched with each other until the maximum tensile bonding strength, this stress can be evaluated. Findings: As the displacement of adhesive interface is increased, the reaction force applied to specimen is increased linearly. At the point on which the adhesive interface is fallen off, the nonlinear behavior is shown. It is thought that this reason is due to the abrupt reduction of bonded area. At the specimen thickness of 40 mm, the highest value of reaction force is shown as 1000 N and the lowest value is shown at the specimen thickness of 25 mm. But, to the contrary, the phenomenon of falling off is happened most rapidly at the specimen thickness of 40 mm. Whereas 14 MPa was produced at the initial 25 mm in the stress at the adhesion interface, a reduction to 6.3 MPa at 40 mm was be observed. A lower occurrence of fractures of adhesive interfaces could be seen due to the reduction in stresses when the thickness was increased. Through this study result, the fracture behavior until falling off at the bonded interface of structure can be examined. Application/Improvements: The safety of joined structure can be evaluated and the safe design data at the structure can be obtained by applying this result.
Adhesive Interface, Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic, Double Cantilever Beam, Fracture Behavior, Mode1.
- Boang SO, Kim KS, Kim SH, Song SG, Cho JU. Study on compression test of aluminum foam and honeycomb sandwich composites. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation society. 2011 May; 12(9):3802–7.
- Blackman BRK, Hadavinia H, Kinloch AJ, Paraschi M, Williams JG. The calculation of adhesive fracture energies in mode I: Revisiting the Tapered Double Cantilever Beam (TDCB) Test. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. 2003 April; 70(2):233–48.
- Giorgi MDe, Carofalo A, Dattoma V, Nobile R, Palano F. Aluminum foams structural modelling. Computers and Structures. 2010 Jun; 88(1-2):25–35.
- Shin KB, Koo DH. A study on the evaluation of the failure for carbody structures made of laminated fiber-reinforced composite materials using total laminate approach. Korean Society for Composite Materials. 2004 Mar; 17(1):18–28.
- Blackman BRK, Dear JP, Kinloch AJ, MacGillivray H, Wang Y, Williams JG, Yayla P. The failure of fibre composites and adhesively bonded fibre composites under high rates of test part 3 mixed-mode 1/2 and mode 2 loadings. Journal of Materials Science. 1996 Nov; 31(17):4467–77.
- Mohamed M, Anandan S, Huo Z, Birman V, Volz J, Chandrashekhara K. Manufacturing and characterization of polyurethane based sandwich composite structures. Composite Structures. 2015 May; 123:169–79.
- Marzi S, Biel A, Stigh U. On experimental methods to investigate the effect of layer thickness on the fracture behavior of adhesively bonded joints. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives. 2011 Oct; 31(8):840–50.
- Jung JW, Kim SH, Park JK, Lee WI. Research on the development of the properties of PLA composites for automatic interior parts. Korean Society for Composite Materials. 2011 Feb; 24(3):1–5.
- Hong GK, Hae JS, Min SL, Lee KK. Impact properties of laminating type in EVA and CFRP. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26):1–14.
- Gopinathan TK, Raghunath PN, Suguna K. Regression model for static cyclic performance of HSC beams with GFRP laminates. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(13):1829–46.
- Alam MA, Alriyami. K, Jumaat MZ, Noori. K. Development of hybrid jute fiber composite plates for potential application in shear retrofitting of RC structure. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(30):104–16.
- Alam MA, Alriyami K, Muda ZC, Jumaat MZ. Hybrid kanaf fiber composite plates for potential application in shear strenghening of reinforced concrete structure. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 9(6): 87–96.
- Vinayagamoorthy R, Subramanyam KG, Kumar TN, Reddy YH. Modeling and analysis of drilling induced damages on hybrid coposites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(16):481–501.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.