Total views : 285
A Strategy of Selecting a Maximal Set of Sleep Links for Energy Saving in Core IP Networks
Background/Objectives: Nowadays the energy consumption of ICT networks is about 10% of the total worldwide power consumption and is predicted to increase remarkably in the near future. Methods/Statistical Analysis: We study energy saving methods for IP networks in a way to select qualified links and place them in sleep mode under network-level QoS constraints. An energy saving strategy is proposed which is based on the concept of delegation process with a user-specified condition for limiting the increase in hop count of paths. The main feature of our strategy is delegation process through which a maximal set of sleep links can be found under the user-specified constraint. Findings: For maximizing energy saving, we present two heuristic algorithms for link selection under QoS constraints, and evaluate the characteristics of the algorithms by a computer simulation. Our two algorithms provide three kinds of methods, namely, max_set, min_traffic and min_traffic. This paper shows that in terms of link saving efficiency, the max_set is ranked first, the mini_traffic second, and the min_path last. The link saving efficiency of the max_set reaches about 65 % under certain conditions. Also, the max-set method is shown to find a larger set of sleep links than previous works, enabling more energy saving. On the certain conditions, we confirm the increased mean hops of the path within 1.2 hops in case of using the max_set for selecting sleep link. This value does not have a significant impact on the real end-to-end delay. Application/Improvements: We expect that our algorithms will provide the ISP with a mechanism for achieving the required level of energy saving by adjusting the delay of paths.
Energy Saving, Delegation Procedure, Heuristic Algorithm, Hop Count, Link Reduction.
- Roth KW, Goldstein F, Kleinman J. Energy consumption by office and telecommunication equipment in commercial buildings (Vol I: Energy consumption baseline). Arthur D. Little Inc.: Cambridge; 2002.
- Bolla R, Bruschi R, Davoli F, Cucchietti F. Energy efficiency in the future internet: a survey of existing approaches and trends in energy-aware fixed network infrastructures. IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorial. 2011 Jul; 13(2):223–44.
- Recupero DR. Toward a green internet. Science. 2013 Mar; 339(29):1533–34.
- Gao S, Zhou J, Aya T, YamanakaN. Reducing network power consumption using dynamic link metric method and power off links. IEICE Technical Report (ICSS). 2009 Jun; 109(86):85–9.
- Restrepo JCC, Gruber CG, Machuca CM. Energy profile aware routing. IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops, Dresden; 2009. p. 1–5.
- Silva T, Arsenio A. A survey on energy efficiency for the future internet. International Journal of Computer and Communication Engineering. 2013 Sep; 2(5):589–95.
- Zhang Y, Chowdhury P, Tornatore M, Mukherjee B. Energy efficiency in telecom optical networks. IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials. 2010 Jul; 12(4):441–58.
- Bolla R, Bruschi R, Davoli F, Cucchietti F. Energy efficiency in the future internet: a survey of existing approaches and trends in energy-aware fixed network infrastructures. IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials. 2011 Jul; 13(2):223–44.
- Bianzino AP, Chaudet C, Rossi D, Rougier J-L. A survey of green networking research. IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials. 2010 Dec; 14(1):3–20.
- Dharmaweera MN, Parthiban R, Ahmet Y¸ Sekercio˘glu. toward a power-efficient backbone network: the state of research. IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials. 2014 Jul; 17(1):198–227.
- Idzikowski F, Chiaraviglio L, Cianfrani A, L´opezVizca´ıno J, Polverini M, Ye Y. A survey on energy-aware design and operation of core networks. IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials. 2015 Dec; PP(99):1–46.
- Chiaraviglio L, Mellia M, Neri F. Reducing power consumption in backbone networks. IEEE International Conference on Communications, Dresten; 2009. p. 1–6.
- Gupta M, Singh S. Dynamic ethernet link shutdown for energy conservation on ethernet links. IEEE International Conference on Communications, Glasgow; 2007. p. 24–8.
- Cianfrani A, Eramo V, Listanti M, Marazza M, Vittorini E. An energy saving routing algorithm for a green OSPF protocol. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications Workshops, San Diego; 2010. p. 1–5.
- Cianfrani A, Eramo V, Listanti M, Polverini M. An OSPF enhancement for energy saving in IP networks. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications Workshops, Shanghai; 2011. p. 325–30.
- Cianfrani A, Eramo V, Listanti M, Polverini M, Vasilakos AV. An OSPF-integrated routing strategy for qos-aware energy saving in IP backbone networks. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management. 2012 Mar; 9(3):254–67.
- Chiaraviglio L, Cianfrani A, Listanti M, Mignano L, Polverini M. Implementing energy-aware algorithms in backbone networks: a transient analysis. IEEE International Conference on Communications, London; 2015. p. 142–48.
- Pattabiraman B, Patwary MMA, Gebremedhin AH, Liao W-K, Choudhary A. Fast algorithms for the maximum clique problem on massive sparse graphs. 10th Workshop on Algorithms and Models for the Web Graph, Cambridge; 2013. p. 156–69.
- Bianzino AP, Chaudet C, Larroca F, Rossi D, Rougier J-L. Energy-aware routing: a reality check. IEEE Globecom Workshops; 2010. p. 1422–27.
- Garroppo RG, Giordano S, Neucioni G, Pagano M. Energy aware routing based on energy characterization of devices: solutions and analysis. IEEE Interantional Conference on Computer Communications Workshops, Kyoto; 2011. p. 1–5.
- Restrepo JCC, Gruber CG, Machuca CM. Energy profile aware routing. . IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications Workshops, Dresten; 2009. p. 1–5.
- Kleinrock L. Queueing systems Vol 1: Theory A. Wiley-Interscience Publication: Newyork; 1975. p. 89–110.
- Idzikowski F, Chiaraviglio L, Portoso F. Optimal design of green multi-layer core networks. Proceeding of the ACM e-Energy. Madrid; 2012. p. 1–9.
- IETF RFC 2328 document [Internet]. Available from: http:// www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2328.txt.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.